English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 November 2010, 23:13   #21
Siggy999

I'm probably in the minority, but I was never a fan of the all in one keyboard (even when I had an A500 - I hacked it into a desktop case). Function, then form. Especially nowadays with the plethora of devices available. Keyboard broke? I'd rather buy a new usb one that I like and plug it in rather than hack apart a case (that is of course if you're using a standard keyboard). Why lock the user into a touchpad or mouse if they prefer say.... a thumb driven trackball? When I want to expand the system, my first thought shouldn't be 'how can I hack this into the case' or 'do I have clearance?'.

In this regard, 'the box' has a superior function. Although there are some ugly ugly boxes out there, there are some pretty nice designs out there as well.

Let the form follow the function.
Old 21 January 2011, 18:10   #22
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
I still think somebody should take the original a1200 design, re-jig it for a new style amiga motherboard and do away with the floppy drive. It can be compatible with all the modern connections, have an sdhc card slot etc.

I just cannot see any other design beating the a1200, heck even the a600 was ok!
Old 22 January 2011, 00:14   #23
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs View Post
@Cammy lol! show us what you're able to do ! I think people would be interested.
Do you have some draft ? what have you done so far ?
lol says the man who is so aesthetically incompetent he records youtube videos of an Amiga playing FMV using some crappy webcam pointed at a crappy LCD at a funny angle that could be playing 2-30FPS and be in 4-4000 colours and nobody can tell

You can easily improve the A1200 design...

1. Make it lighter (which will happen if you replace an A1200 m/b with a mini-ITX m/b)
2. Replace the keyboard with a high quality unit (done already on mine using an A2000 keyboard + adaptor inside the casing)

There are only 3 all in one designs I ever liked....

1. C64C (mk2 white one)
2. Original Atari ST without an internal drive
3. A1200

Last edited by TCD; 22 January 2011 at 00:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.