English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 01 February 2014, 15:22   #1281
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Saw American Hustle yesterday, what an overrated piece of shit.
Only because of Jenny, Bale and that lovely redhead Disney Princess who finally revelaed more of her body it was watchable. Basically it was a documentory about some operation that happened in the late 70's / early 80's concerning bribes and polititians and stuff like that. Scenes that were meant to be funny weren't, the mystery and plot twist was obvious.
It was hillarious to see Bale with a fat belly and struggling to stick his fake hair on top of his scalp though.
Do not watch it if you're expecting a proper Hustle movie. It's not.

Better go watch Now You See Me - much more enjoyable. It's a fairytale about Robin Hood magicians, with the lovely Mélanie Laurent (as not one of them magicians ). The final plot-twist was a bit cartoony, I think I saw the same motive in some Scooby-Doo cartoon and some of the CGI was BAD, and I mean B-A-D, with all capital letters, especially the flying in soap bubbles "trick".
Also, the movie was trying a bit too hard to show magic as something mystical rather than tricks and illusions, but I came to terms with that and found it very enjoyable through the whole sitting.

Also saw Oblivion, and gotta say, as much as I dislike Tom C. as a person, I enjoyed most of his movies, this one is no exception. Awesome piece of sci-fi cinema.
The visuals with the combination of the soundtrack are breath-taking and the CGI is high-end, most of the time unrecognizable from the real world.
Sure, it takes lots of ideas from lots of other movies, sure, it's pompous at times... but it's awesome.
Loved to see the great douchebag prince of Game of Thrones as a good character, although slightly in the background, great to see Morgan Freeman still alive and kickin', and enjoyed Andrea Riseborough's nude scene.

Last edited by Shoonay; 01 February 2014 at 16:12.
Old 01 February 2014, 17:01   #1282
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Douchebag prince? Oh boy you still have much to learn about GOT...
Old 01 February 2014, 19:33   #1283
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I know, t'was a joke, everyone is grey in GoT, geez, Lannister fanboi...
Old 04 February 2014, 13:05   #1284
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Wait a second, douchebag PRINCE... were you talking about the kid who eventually becomes "king" in name but not much else? If so then I actually highly agree with you, I was woefully confused thinking that you meant the Kingslayer.
Old 04 February 2014, 13:53   #1285
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Old 04 February 2014, 21:00   #1286
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

This weekend I saw the Woman in Black on the tv, starring Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter).

What a snooze fest. Its 1.5 hours of HP, who does not look any less of a teenager even when he doesn't shave for a week, peddling back and forth between a grim English village and a house that is supposedly haunted, continuously followed by a woman in black and later some kids which haunt him in a ghostly way and then disappear without ever really becoming threatening in any way. And that's basically the filler of the whole movie, with some intermediate scenes in town where things and stuff happen to the people who mysteriously just allow everything to happen unchecked.

I'm not even going to waste more words on it to be honest, its just not worth it.

3/10
Old 05 February 2014, 20:00   #1287
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Cosmopolis

Normally I'm not a fan of Cronenberg's work. And this is no exception. Even though I saw ever second, I have no idea what this movie was about and I want to keep it that way.

?/10 - no clue at all!
Watched this a while back. What a waste of time. After watching it all I could think of was that I wanted the time back.

If they had a story to begin with then I've no idea where it went.
Old 05 February 2014, 21:33   #1288
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Its an artsy fartsy movie. I'm sure there are people that see the political or social statement in there and find it a masterpiece. I'm too stupid.
Old 05 February 2014, 22:53   #1289
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

It's still shit
Old 09 February 2014, 03:48   #1290
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

47 Ronin

I had mixed feelings about this film. It's obvious from the outset that this is the director's first feature length title, with dialogue that could have been tightened, characters that are alittle too contrived, and scenes that are either too long, or too short.

Having said that, the costumes and scenery were nice, and the fight scenes were enjoyable enough. I certainly don't think it deserves the pitifully low aggregate it has garnered on Rotten Tomatoes.

As I'm inbetween about this movie, I'll give it 5/10.
Old 09 February 2014, 04:04   #1291
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Finally got around to watching Sucker Punch last night, and it's yet another film I have a certain ambivalence towards.

The acting was convincing, and you really felt sorry for the girls, who are trapped in an asylum, routinely abused, and face the prospect of being lobotomised. The main villain was a repugnant enough bastard, and the film gets gloriously trippy very early on, as the main character slips into a sort of fantasy world as she orchestrates her escape.

The fantasy sections might leave audiences divided, however, because while they are well done and creative, they almost feel too artificial, with CGI that is slightly dated and sets and set pieces that borrow heavily from video games. For instance, one dream sequence is lifted straight from Wolfenstein, while another felt like an end of level boss fight.

I think, in the end, the film would have been strengthened with alittle more story and alittle less illusion. Still found it enjoyable though, and I'll always appreciate something that tries to be different. 6/10
Old 09 February 2014, 11:49   #1292
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well then I would ask you to watch Metropolis and share what you think about it, I'm kind of curious if you see something more in it
Old 19 February 2014, 21:50   #1293
BarryB
Amigaholic

Which Metropolis? Film (1927) or Anime (2001)?

No wonder it was the inspiration for Bioshock!
Old 19 February 2014, 23:31   #1294
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Crap! I meant Cosmopolis that I linked to and bitched about earlier. Where the heck did I get Metropolis from?
Old 20 February 2014, 00:05   #1295
BarryB
Amigaholic

You got 'opolis' so close enough I guess
Old 21 February 2014, 18:24   #1296
TCD

Big Ass Spider

Cheesy: check!
Monster: check!
B-movie CGI: check!
Fun to watch: check!

It's a campy monster flick with a very likable 'hero' and a very predictable plot. It's short mindless fun The acting isn't good, but it's not horrible either. Recommended
Old 21 February 2014, 19:29   #1297
CrazyOne
TheCrazyDevil ;)

TCD forgot to mention that...IT HAS A GIGANTIC EEEEEK SPIDER in it. Oh wait...he mentioned...but...EEEEEK!
It scared me a lot!
I think that now it's understandable that I HATE SPIDERS?
Old 21 February 2014, 19:38   #1298
DH

Spiders have been given a bad name by you girls

Maybe one day they'll come back and get their revenge on only the girls for all the screams of "get it, just get it", "Stand on it, please, please, please" and the long distant shoe throws to try and kill the poor innocent creatures.

This may be a film, but one day

Trailer looks interesting, might watch it one day when Mrs DH has gone out, she hate's spiders too
Old 22 February 2014, 12:35   #1299
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

DH, will you stop winking and grinning at someone else's wife? Its just... awkward.

(BECAUSE I MADE IT SO! *evil laugh*)
Old 22 February 2014, 18:05   #1300
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Before Midnight.

Wait, what!? Surely I've got the wrong movie AGAIN.

Nope, I watch these kind of movies with the girly, kind of relaxing pure banter movies that are only about conversations and beautiful scenery; far more endurable and entertaining than say a Twilight Saga. This happens to be part three in a long running series, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset coming before it. I liked both those movies quite a bit, to see one time. The chemistry between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy is great and the conversations are very clever.

Not so with this third one. The first two were basically about two people's path through life to eventually end up together far later than they were clearly supposed to. This third one should have continued that realistic fairy tale, but in stead is about proving that a woman can have a midlife crisis too and basically turns batshit crazy while being in that state. Why was this movie made I wonder? I have no clue. Except for the enjoyable first 30 minutes (mostly contributed to shots of beautiful Greece), it was very aggravating.

4/10