English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 25 January 2019, 16:28   #1
Puggsy
Banned

Pinball Dreams 2? (NOT Fantasies)

I just found out about this thing:
https://dosspirit.net/game/pinball-dreams-2/358

Is this official or fan made? It looks a bit dodgy.
And can we have it for Amiga? Seems to be just new data for Pinball Dreams.
Old 25 January 2019, 16:39   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's real but designed by Spidersoft, not Digital Illusions. Yeah, more like a data disk addon.
Old 25 January 2019, 16:42   #3
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

It's official afaik.
Spidersoft was also behind the rather dreary (compared to Amiga) SNES port of Pinball Dreams.
[ Show youtube player ]

I don't think Digital Illusions had anything to do with it though.
Old 25 January 2019, 16:46   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

From what i've read in German magazines it's working without the original game. But for the protection screen you'll still need the Pinball Dreams 1 manual.
Old 25 January 2019, 16:58   #5
jurassicman

It would be cool if it was possible to use the tables on Pinball Dreams for Amiga.
Old 27 January 2019, 23:01   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I only really liked the Safari table to be honest, but I did clock some hours on it. My brother and I had a bit of rivalry going on to keep beating each other's high score on that table

It had better ball physics than Fantasies if I remember correctly, but other than that it was quite comparable.
Old 28 January 2019, 04:43   #7
pants

Dreams 2 and Arcade were DOS-only by Andy Taylor and Kev Howe (internal @ Spidersoft). Graphics/design were also internal, music was contracted out.

No game logic or physics shared with the DI titles - those came from the earlier version of Dreams on DOS (also Andy/Kev) which itself came from... the gameboy version of Dreams (and the toolchain developed for it) by Dave Cooke @ Spidersoft.

The DI and SS systems were entirely separate from day one - nothing shareable. Mostly technical constraints vs NIH (at first)

The system DI used was neat (huge table masks + clever luts) but too memory heavy for consoles of the time. The SS solution was also neat - in principle, as accurate as the DI system, more memory/cpu efficient, but in practice it fell short. Publisher, contracts/agreements/deadlines/timelines, qa, cumbersome toolchain, shifting priorities, technical debt... take your pick depending on your bias. Familiar story of 'the franchise deserved better'.

Source: good folks @ DI, good folks @ SS, not-so-good folks @ 21c.
Old 28 January 2019, 10:08   #8
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by pants View Post
Dreams 2 and Arcade were DOS-only by Andy Taylor and Kev Howe (internal @ Spidersoft). Graphics/design were also internal, music was contracted out.

No game logic or physics shared with the DI titles - those came from the earlier version of Dreams on DOS (also Andy/Kev) which itself came from... the gameboy version of Dreams (and the toolchain developed for it) by Dave Cooke @ Spidersoft.

The DI and SS systems were entirely separate from day one - nothing shareable. Mostly technical constraints vs NIH (at first)

The system DI used was neat (huge table masks + clever luts) but too memory heavy for consoles of the time. The SS solution was also neat - in principle, as accurate as the DI system, more memory/cpu efficient, but in practice it fell short. Publisher, contracts/agreements/deadlines/timelines, qa, cumbersome toolchain, shifting priorities, technical debt... take your pick depending on your bias. Familiar story of 'the franchise deserved better'.

Source: good folks @ DI, good folks @ SS, not-so-good folks @ 21c.
what you say looks Pants !
Old 04 February 2019, 18:22   #9
Puggsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pants View Post
No game logic or physics shared with the DI titles
That makes sense: I went to play this "Dreams 2" and it was absolute dog shit! Not only it looked ghastly (no idea how to make graphics it seems), the ball moved like absolute garbage.

Thanks for clearing this up!