English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 29 August 2008, 05:37   #41
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Why not?

The Amiga uses the output voltages, not the input one.
Old 29 August 2008, 06:07   #42
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
An NTSC CD32 doesn't need anything other than a mouse to boot in "PAL" but from what I understand it isn't TRUE PAL. It is 50khz with NTSC color if I have read the threads correctly. Apparently it delivers black and white display on PAL TV's and screen roll (read unusable) when booted in PAL on an NTSC TV. From what I can tell, an NTSC CD32 is practically useless unless you have a way to get it display on something that takes true RGB like a 1084 or something similar.

I know my NTSC A1200 can't play PAL games on any of my 6 TV's when booted in PAL. When booted in NTSC you get other problems, the bottom 1/8th of the screen missing, messed up audio, lots of crashes etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
He said hundreds, if not thousands, not hundreds OF thousands. I have seen hundreds of those new NTSC ones sell over the last few years, so it's possible there could be a few hundred or even a thousand more out there, packed away in some wearhouse.

Also, if a NTSC CD32 had Workbench installed in it, could it not then just run in PAL? Would not WHDLoad games also run in PAL, using the tooltype PAL if they need it?

I have recently got a SX32 installed and working in my CD32, which I am going to be using as a normal Amiga, I have a matching dark grey A2000 keyboard plugged into it too. Although it's going to have heaps of games on it, I'm also going to be using it to develop games, learning to pixel and code Blitz. My CD32 now has an internal Compact Flash drive and a total of 10MB RAM! Up until I got the SX32 installed, I was going to be using a 1MB WB2 A600 to do these things, which would have been painful, but was my only option because A1200s are too expensive. Now I have a fully capable AGA machine with plenty of RAM to play with.

What I guess I'm saying is I think a card like this won't just be good for game, but for people wanting to use an expanded AGA Amiga for productivity as well. If I could buy an expansion like this, then buy a brand new CD32 for $120US, I wouldn't have to worry about looking for an A1200.
Old 29 August 2008, 07:38   #43
Cammy

Wow, really??? All the more reason for a CD32 version of the IndivisionAGA Flicker Fixer, huh!
Old 29 August 2008, 10:21   #44
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
He said hundreds, if not thousands, not hundreds OF thousands.
My mistake.

Quote:
I have seen hundreds of those new NTSC ones sell over the last few years, so it's possible there could be a few hundred or even a thousand more out there, packed away in some warehouse.
Seen sell or seen advertised? Could it not be the same ones over and over?

Quote:
Also, if a NTSC CD32 had Workbench installed in it, could it not then just run in PAL? Would not WHDLoad games also run in PAL, using the tooltype PAL if they need it?
Edit: As said, output would be in B&W on PAL TV's. It would cause picture to roll on NTSC TV (if it did not support 50Hz)

Quote:
Wow, really??? All the more reason for a CD32 version of the IndivisionAGA Flicker Fixer, huh!
Heh, yeah. But if Jen's isn't going into production with his A600 accelerator then he isn't going to produce a CD32 flicker fixer!

Quote:
A1200s are too expensive
An A1200 was more expensive than an SX32? You're shitting me? In the UK they are roughly 1/3 the price of an SX32!

Quote:
What I guess I'm saying is I think a card like this won't just be good for game, but for people wanting to use an expanded AGA Amiga for productivity as well. If I could buy an expansion like this, then buy a brand new CD32 for $120US, I wouldn't have to worry about looking for an A1200.
New CD32 = $120US
CD32 expansion = $120 US (at least)
Total = $240 US

I am sure you could get a nice A1200 with all the trimmings for that price?

I do not believe you can quote economics like this as a purchase justification. (You would just be fooling yourself) Either people want one of these because they think its cool, like their CD32 and want one or they don't. IMHO no one would see this as a cheap alternative to A1200.

The suggested upgrade mentioned in this thread is not an SX32 replacement. It would perhaps not be good enough as an A1200 alternative (No floppy drive, no expansion ports)?

Last edited by alexh; 29 August 2008 at 10:32.
Old 29 August 2008, 19:34   #45
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
I've just got myself a tidy little A1200 (well it is on it's way) rather than a CD32. I like the CD32 but the A1200 offers so much more for less outlay. Plus the expansion options are more readily available.
Old 29 August 2008, 21:15   #46
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

But the CD32 has a much higher "wife acceptability factor" when it comes to leaving it permanently set up connected to the main TV in the living room.
Old 29 August 2008, 21:21   #47
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
But the CD32 has a much higher "wife acceptability factor" when it comes to leaving it permanently set up connected to the main TV in the living room.
Possibly but I have a large drawer under the TV in the spare room where both A600 and A1200 will fit nicely, tucked away
Old 29 August 2008, 21:24   #48
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Ah, but if you run off into the spare room all the time you'll soon suffer from nags like "You love that stoopid computer more than you love me!" and "You're at work all day and then you go straight into the spare room I hardly ever see you!"

CD32 under the TV in the living room... you play the odd game between soaps and occasionally say "So what did you do today love?"
Old 29 August 2008, 21:26   #49
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Hmmm... already getting those statements... long before Amiga's returned to my life.... one more wont harm! I will get a CD32 at some point but three is enough at the moment!
Old 29 August 2008, 21:56   #50
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
you play the odd game between soaps and occasionally say "So what did you do today love?"

Old 30 August 2008, 00:13   #51
rkauer

Hey! Are you people recording the complains of my wife?

Or wifies around the the world are all the same, sigh...
Old 30 August 2008, 01:07   #52
Paul_s

when anyone says have I got a girlfriend I say yes - I have 7.

Old 30 August 2008, 01:16   #53
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

They're all sisters.
Old 30 August 2008, 01:16   #54
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
when anyone says have I got a girlfriend I say yes - I have 7.
Ouch! What happened to your other three fingers?
Old 30 August 2008, 01:24   #55
Cammy

Good idea, let's all talk about wives. Why won't any of your wives let you fill your houses with Amigas and play games on the main TVs? Are they boring or something? Did you marry the wrong person? Do you regret it?
Old 30 August 2008, 01:45   #56
musojon74

Hmmm, how many of our ladies "like" the Amigas, that's the question. Mine is not too impressed!
Old 30 August 2008, 08:48   #57
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I bet it's 10 times worse if your wife is technically illiterate but speaks spanish and you say to her:

"I'm just going to go upstairs for an hour with my Amiga"
Old 31 August 2008, 04:42   #58
rkauer

Quote:
I bet it's 10 times worse if your wife is technically illiterate but speaks spanish and you say to her:

"I'm just going to go upstairs for an hour with my Amiga"
Or portuguese, that's the very same meaning on those two languages and means "female friend".
Old 31 August 2008, 09:33   #59
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I know!

I mean she's already mad at you because you didn't do the washing up when she was away because "you sprained your wrist waggling your joystick all evening".
Old 31 August 2008, 13:39   #60
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Good idea, let's all talk about wives. Why won't any of your wives let you fill your houses with Amigas and play games on the main TVs? Are they boring or something? Did you marry the wrong person? Do you regret it?

Unlike your goodself Cammy, I think most women have an inferiority complex by that White box with keys on it, My wife does not hate my amigas just does not see the attraction

TC