English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 November 2019, 16:45   #201
Bren McGuire

This would be a great idea, if only the Lotus engine was available, which is not!
Old 14 November 2019, 18:33   #202
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
What!? That's great! Is it then possible to port the Atari version to the Amiga lol.
Old 14 November 2019, 21:24   #203
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
This would be a great idea, if only the Lotus engine was available, which is not!
Actually some of us have the source code of Lotus I & II. Not sure if we're allowed to disclose it without permission though.
Old 15 November 2019, 15:55   #204
Bren McGuire

please do something with it, master jotd!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Actually some of us have the source code of Lotus I & II. Not sure if we're allowed to disclose it without permission though.
Old 15 November 2019, 16:00   #205
roondar

That's interesting news... Would be awesome if that source were to be allowed to be spread around.
Old 15 November 2019, 18:34   #206
jotd
This cat is no more

Codetapper got it from the authors, but only provided it to a very small set of people.

For instance, I could check inside supercars II source to see parameters so I could tune my remake

I suppose that it would be cool if the source was provided to someone willing to use it to use the engine for a new game... I'd need to talk to Codetapper first.
Old 15 November 2019, 19:14   #207
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Lotus I & III. Lotus II code is "lost"
Old 16 November 2019, 03:02   #208
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

should be interesting,
lotus is one of the best racing game ever on amiga !!!
Old 16 November 2019, 09:47   #209
jotd
This cat is no more

damn you're right. I have supercars 2, lotus 1 and lotus 3. Lotus 3 engine appears slower than lotus 2, maybe (maybe there are more colors/details/..).

Anyway, we just have the source not the assets (sounds, images) Well we have them, but on the disk. First step would be to be able to rebuild the game from original source with assets extracted from diskimage.

Then modding the games would be possible. But changing the game to "Outrun" is another story. Maybe it's better try to use state of the art amiga techniques to rewrite a game from scratch (source code can help, just to know how they did it) like mcgeezer did with Rygar.

What's cool with Outrun is that there is no AI. So it's possible to reproduce the game faithfully, if framerate allows (and the ACA600 port of RunOut misses some backgrounds already...). If it happens, expect the result to be ... different from the arcade (unlike Rygar)
Old 16 November 2019, 09:57   #210
mcgeezer

I for one would love to take a look at the source of one of those games... I could probably build a fair bit of knowledge from them. *hint hint
Old 16 November 2019, 12:02   #211
Dunny

I for one would like to know how exactly they did the roads. The online doc that chap wrote about classic racers is good, but I've never managed to get it to work on highres displays and I'd like to know why
Old 18 November 2019, 10:20   #212
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I for one would like to know how exactly they did the roads. The online doc that chap wrote about classic racers is good, but I've never managed to get it to work on highres displays and I'd like to know why
This one?

https://codeincomplete.com/posts/javascript-racer/

It's Javascript, but if you can read it without puking it should provide some hints
Old 18 November 2019, 11:15   #213
Dunny

From a cursory five minute glance, that seems to use actual projection to render the road as as series of polygons? I'm looking for a system that will render line by line.

http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/ has the algorithm almost right, but hills are stumping me at present - they tend to pixellate badly at distance.
Old 18 November 2019, 11:31   #214
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@gimbal : Thank for the link. Nice reading !
Old 18 November 2019, 18:35   #215
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

If SEGA give us problems we can still try to do something on the same line of slipstream - sorta outrun but more drifting based on steroids - and Neon Graphics

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 January 2020, 00:09   #216
PeterJ

Hi all sorry for the silences, it have taken a much longer with my back that i expected, and i had a really hard time getting back into coding mode again, when my back started to get better in late October.

i have made some minor changes to the code adding a hack that allow to get up/down animations of the car.
i made a short video showing it.
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by PeterJ; 03 January 2020 at 06:36. Reason: i was tired when wrote this.
Old 03 January 2020, 07:57   #217
PatmanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJ View Post
Hi all sorry for the silences, it have taken a much longer with my back that i expected, and i had a really hard time getting back into coding mode again, when my back started to get better in late October.

i have made some minor changes to the code adding a hack that allow to get up/down animations of the car.
[ Show youtube player ]
That looks really good, I would've been happy on Christmas morning with this back in 1987
Old 03 January 2020, 14:36   #218
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJ View Post

[ Show youtube player ]
Mate.....holy FK you are a GOD!

I'd have purchased an ST over an AMIGA (yes I just said that) if this had been the port on offer.

OMG.

I hold out hope for such an Amiga port.

Good man.....may God bless you AND your herniated spine.

(My God the Scotch I'm drinking tonight is awesome )
Old 03 January 2020, 14:39   #219
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
If SEGA give us problems we can still try to do something on the same line of slipstream - sorta outrun but more drifting based on steroids - and Neon Graphics

[ Show youtube player ]
Oddly...it's not just Sega who are the issue...it's the love of my life....FERRARI!

That's why the Switch version isn't a Ferrari anymore....Licensing.

Yep...the world we live in is THAT cruel.
Old 03 January 2020, 16:14   #220
AJCopland

005AMIGA I worked on the Outrun 2006 Coast2Coast game, I don't think anyone expected Ferrari to be such a nightmare to work with.

Obviuously they're ultra protective of their branding but they go too far, made us apply magazine layouts to a game UI because that's "how it should look" even though we literally could not do that on consoles due to TRC/TCR violations. Absolute nightmare to work with on that side of things.

...but, also really cool to see all of their design and styling guides etc for brochures and magazine layouts. They take that stuff very seriously and have some cool little details like the choices for which logo to use in what situation and depending on what colour the car was etc.