English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 12 October 2019, 13:28   #1
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Warp3D and BPPC

Hi all,

Looking for any tips/help with getting Warp3D to play nice with my BPPC.

As things stand, I have a 1200 with Mediator TX, cards are:
1 - Voodoo 3 2000 (16MB)
2 - <empty>
3 - FM801 Sound Card
4 - Realtek FastEthernet NIC
5 - Spider USB
6 - <empty>

Software wise, I'm running a hybrid 3.9/3.1.4 workbench setup (have been since 3.1.4 launched without any issues).

I have WarpOS running great, everything 'just works' exactly as expected.
I have Warp3D working great too for 68k, it's all working as expected.

My issue is Warp3D and PPC is not working as expected. I can run PPC games that use software rendering without issues - but get hard lockups when trying to use Warp3D and PPC.

Using the cog demos provided by Warp3D, any of the 68K ones work as expected. If I start the PPC ones, the window will appear, then the mouse pointer turns to garbage and the system locks hard.

I've spend a lot of time trawling the net over the last few days, reading loads of threads/discussions etc, but so far nothing has helped.

I'm hoping there is something really simple I've missed, and someone can tell me what it is!!

Thanks in advance
Old 12 October 2019, 16:57   #2
Wrangler

Hiya, just to check you are using the latest version of the Warp3D libs?

Otherwise, I don't think you are doing anything wrong that I can see (although I don't have 3.1.4). Have you tried other Warp3D progs? Eg Cowcat's Quake, preferably the whole dir from a working machine. I recall on one of my set ups have trouble with gears but other Warp3D progs were OK (which I only found out after days of trying to fix gears).
Old 12 October 2019, 17:33   #3
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Thanks for the reply. Just tried a few games and still getting really odd behaviour trying to use the PPC with warp3d, including grey flashing screens and mad noises and clicks through the sound card

Also checked, all the Warp3D files I'm using seem to have the latest and greatest version numbers. To be honest I'm quite tempted to ignore Warp3D and go back to my Radeon, the system seemed snappier using it anyway. With a PPC onboard, is software rendering really that bad?

Does feel a bit like admitting defeat though ...
Old 12 October 2019, 17:59   #4
Wrangler

How well cooled is the Voodoo? And are you overclocking it? I am thinking this could be a hardware problem, not software. Put a fan on that Voodoo (even just a desk fan pointing at it with the case open) and see if that makes a difference.
Old 12 October 2019, 18:10   #5
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Currently running it case off, and have a cooler right under it.

It also seems happy push 3d stuff around under 68k (BlitzQuake 68k is fine for example).

Issues just seem to stem from PPC based Warp3D stuff
Old 12 October 2019, 18:14   #6
cloverskull

Only thing that jumps out at me is those mediator chips get super hot, as does the voodoo. Maybe a bit of reorganization? I know the 68k stuff working makes it seem unrelated to heat, since it all goes through the same GPU, but it could be worth a shot.
Old 12 October 2019, 18:43   #7
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Yeah, those gals do indeed get quite warm, but i'm not convinced it's that either.

Thinking about it, it may well be the Voodoo, it's a card of unknown provenance, and it failed to work in a PC when myself and Daedalus tried it some time back.

Not looking forward to spending money on a replacement though, the Voodoo cards fetch silly money these days
Old 12 October 2019, 21:32   #8
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
You might need to check the display address is correctly configured. Showconfig should show you what it is, then just make sure it matches in WarpOS config.

Its been a decade or more since I used a voodoo card with PPC, but I recall having to edit the cards bios to lower the memory clock speed as the card was janky on the pc also.
Old 12 October 2019, 22:11   #9
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
You might need to check the display address is correctly configured. Showconfig should show you what it is, then just make sure it matches in WarpOS config.
I think the address is right, as it's working for non Warp3D stuff - but I'll recheck everything tomorrow.

It's set to $200000 atm, which is the value most people suggest for a mediator graphics card.

Stumbled across this too https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=13227.0