English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 August 2007, 13:47   #1
blade002
Zone Friend

Take Me Back :(

I want to go back to 1985 when i saw my first Apple IIe and programmed my own game in high school, i want to back to when i got an Atari 2600 for the first time, I want to go back to when i finally got Zaxxon for my CBS Colecovision and it blew my mind, I want to go back to when i first got my C64 and its warm feeling and immersion it gave me, I want to go back to when i first got my Amiga 500 and i felt like the king of the world in its world of atmosphere and its worldwide community, I want to go back to when i first got my Amiga 1200 and i ran my own BBS with a friend when i downloaded and shared so much, whilst sharing my creativity in Dpaint, OctaMED and being totally in love with the games and feelings it all gave me.

I want to go back to when WE PUSHED THE BOUNDARIES !!!!!....

The above mentioned may seem really strange and sad, but to be honest, im being honest.
Old 07 August 2007, 14:16   #2
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I know exactly what you mean my friend. I too wish I could have those feelings again. It's not that things today are crap - far from it - but new technologies just don't "wow" me anymore.

Perhaps the technological leaps just are smaller these days? To me PS3 is very much like PS2, just a bit more glitzy and sharper... big deal.

Much more likely it's just our mental state... we are grown ups now and don't get bowled over by every new toy. It's the same deal with Birthdays and Christmas - they just don't seem as special now. But they haven't changed... it's just you...
Old 07 August 2007, 14:17   #3
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Ahhh halcyon days of olde ...

You rock blade002 .. If this forum had that voting like some do, you'd get a top mark.
Old 07 August 2007, 14:25   #4
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150 View Post
Much more likely it's just our mental state... we are grown ups now and don't get bowled over by every new toy. It's the same deal with Birthdays and Christmas - they just don't seem as special now. But they haven't changed... it's just you...
i think you got it! there's a way to go back in time : make kids! and revive your first fresh impressions through their eyes....
Old 07 August 2007, 16:43   #5
jabsy
Yeah Hup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbareges View Post
i think you got it! there's a way to go back in time : make kids! and revive your first fresh impressions through their eyes....
My son is 6 and loves games. His faves are Zool and Superfrog... He's never even seen a playstation and his PC gameplay is restricted to Bejeweled... All his gaming is done on Amiga and MAME. He thinks that's all there is.
Old 07 August 2007, 17:39   #6
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

September 6th, You and I are going to the MAUG user group meeting... No excuses and dont bring your missus because I am not leaving early if she gets bored ;D
Old 07 August 2007, 17:45   #7
spiff
Oh noes!

Rose tinted colors of nostalgia, innocence once lost and all that

The closest I've come to the "classic gaming vibe" would be guitar hero. Call a couple of friends, have a BBQ, case of beer and then play guitar hero.

...and then think back to the time you played with trackers, couldn't buy beer, didn't have a sweet GF/Kids, a own house...
Old 07 August 2007, 18:47   #8
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

this is why i like modern living, but with all the retro gubbins i can

i use dpaint on winuae on my laptop, run octamed and most games off my nicely kitted a1200, and sit in bed playing my favourite classics on pspuae.

a beautiful union between what we had then and what we have now is easy to find. There are few things i like more than booting WinUAE on my mates 50 inch TV screen, pouring myself a nice Ale, then kicking his arse on IK+!

i like it as it is now, even if its a bit more "neiche". this way i get the best of both. just like a hermaphrodite.
Old 07 August 2007, 21:01   #9
Graham Humphrey

I pretty much agree with HH's post - while I like reminiscing about past times and stuff, I wouldn't want to physically go back there. I've said before that I don't think we've ever had it so good, with regards to emulation, communities like this etc. It's so easy to get hold of stuff now, and so easy to get help if you need it as well.
Old 07 August 2007, 23:02   #10
bornemannen

I know what you mean blade002, it'd be great to go back and have all those feelings of wonder whenever you'd turn on your C64 or Miggy.

Isn't nostalgia the thing we all share here at eab, surely we all miss the old days with the Miggy. That's why we still play the old games and mess around with the old computers.

Nostalgia is a funny thing.
Old 07 August 2007, 23:06   #11
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
I want to go back to 1985 when i saw my first Apple IIe and programmed my own game in high school, i want to back to when i got an Atari 2600 for the first time, I want to go back to when i finally got Zaxxon for my CBS Colecovision and it blew my mind, I want to go back to when i first got my C64 and its warm feeling and immersion it gave me, I want to go back to when i first got my Amiga 500 and i felt like the king of the world in its world of atmosphere and its worldwide community, I want to go back to when i first got my Amiga 1200 and i ran my own BBS with a friend when i downloaded and shared so much, whilst sharing my creativity in Dpaint, OctaMED and being totally in love with the games and feelings it all gave me.

I want to go back to when WE PUSHED THE BOUNDARIES !!!!!....

The above mentioned may seem really strange and sad, but to be honest, im being honest.
Great Scott!!

Erm, last time I checked, Doc Brown wasn't a member of the forum, Marty...

LOL

Merlin
Old 07 August 2007, 23:30   #12
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Somebody build a mil-spec time machine for us retro-sobbing EAB'ers!
Old 07 August 2007, 23:59   #13
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsy View Post
My son is 6 and loves games. His faves are Zool and Superfrog... He's never even seen a playstation and his PC gameplay is restricted to Bejeweled... All his gaming is done on Amiga and MAME. He thinks that's all there is.
When I have kids, I dunno if my Amiga will still work
Old 09 August 2007, 23:07   #14
PaulyQ

I have to agree... I've had a computer since 1981 (zx81) and slowly followed the way of most in here.... Speccy/C64, Amiga... then used my first ever "proper" PC in the mid 80's.... first the big IBM machines and then shockingly the IBM PS2 (shocked they didn't try to claim that name when the Sony PS2 was released!!)... to say that I wasn't impressed compared to an Amiga 500 is an understatement.

Took a break from computers for a while and returned with an A1200 in 1996 and loved it to bits.... best time of my life... inviting mates round for games such as Sensi WOS and Worms, couple of beers and then some!! Made my first foray into music back then and now use the name Quantum Flux as my "music name"... so maybe going back in time as Merlin suggests is only a capacitor away!!
Old 15 August 2007, 20:54   #15
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Its, funny how alot say that their kids love the Amiga. I thought I was the only 1, but my kids love my Amiga, just as I did back when I got my first A500.
Old 15 August 2007, 21:37   #16
Huezo

Send a message via MSN to Huezo
Hmmm... damn! I will go now to make some kids!
Old 15 August 2007, 21:45   #17
spiff
Oh noes!

Old 18 August 2007, 13:57   #18
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
LMFAO.

Well my kids are playing Golden Axe (even if the slave is dodgy on music side). They have also been playing Fire&Ice and Banshee. They play my Amiga, more than their PSP's (which they play PSPUAE, more than anything), PS2, PSOne.

Im sure my kids will be well into Amiga, just as I am, .
Old 18 August 2007, 22:37   #19
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
I don't have kids yet, but my girlfriend and I are going to bring them up on the Amigas if or when we do. I loved the 80s/90s, there were plenty of great times for Amiga users, but since there's no way at the moment to go back in time (as far as we know, if anyone has the software to make their Amiga into a time machine, please upload it to Aminet), I guess the best we can do is try and bring all the old ex-Amiga users out of their dull PC-run lives, as well as show newbies how much more fun it is to use an Amiga.

FOL: I have Golden Axe running perfectly, music and all, when did you last install it?
Old 19 August 2007, 00:27   #20
Graham Humphrey

If I ever have kids I'd definitely bring them up on Amigas too, they wouldn't have a choice