English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 02 November 2009, 06:51   #21
UncleSpam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Here's my new A1600 running Icaros Desktop (Aros). Aros is binary compatible with AmigaOS, and can run Amiga applications much faster than the original hardware or PPC Amigas can.

http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/A1600-Icaros.jpg
What brand is the little red hotrod?
Old 02 November 2009, 14:44   #22
Cammy

Why, do you want one? They don't sell these in shops
Old 03 November 2009, 01:04   #23
UncleSpam

No, I already have a decent netbook, I was merely curious

I noticed there are no labels on it...
Old 03 November 2009, 01:56   #24
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
looks like an asus eeeccc peee ccc or what ever thet are called, to me
Old 03 November 2009, 07:27   #25
Cammy

It looks better than an EeePC in my opinion. The A1600 could end up being the first netbook to come with Aros preinstalled. We are working on native drivers for the internal chipset and bug testing at the moment, so with a little luck and a rich investor, we might finally have a commercially available Amiga laptop.

My little red one is just the prototype, we still have to come up with a badge for it, and a brand name. Anyone got any suggestions for an Amiga-ish sounding name we could give to a run of new Aros-powered computerss, starting with the 1600Mhz A1600?

We could be selling these things for much less than any netbook available in the shops, you have no idea how much extra you're paying for your brand name and Windows license. Possibly around $300US, plus postage, and they'll come in white, black, red, yellow and metallic pink.
Old 03 November 2009, 12:42   #26
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Quote:
It looks better than an EeePC in my opinion. The A1600 could end up being the first netbook to come with Aros preinstalled. We are working on native drivers for the internal chipset and bug testing at the moment, so with a little luck and a rich investor, we might finally have a commercially available Amiga laptop.

My little red one is just the prototype, we still have to come up with a badge for it, and a brand name. Anyone got any suggestions for an Amiga-ish sounding name we could give to a run of new Aros-powered computerss, starting with the 1600Mhz A1600?

We could be selling these things for much less than any netbook available in the shops, you have no idea how much extra you're paying for your brand name and Windows license. Possibly around $300US, plus postage, and they'll come in white, black, red, yellow and metallic pink.
You're either my long lost, much prettier, twin or a Goddess we should be setting a shrine to.

Well, I know how I'm spending my downtime at work - looking up Aros info... I'm rocking an acer Aspire One so perhaps Aros might be the way to go. Assuming it's not hard to recompile for it...

I take it Aros is great for Amiga development, what with the whole source compatibility.
Old 03 November 2009, 13:05   #27
Cammy

It's only OS-compatible, mind you, not chipset compatible. If you're writing code that hits the hardware, it'll need to be run through UAE, which is pretty well integrated into Aros now.

The Aspire One has roughly the same specs as my netbook, like most others at the moment, so it's one of the platforms Aros development is focusing on.

You can download the Live-DVD or Live-CD from the link in my signature, and just boot from the disc with an external USB CD/DVD drive.
Old 03 November 2009, 14:25   #28
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Quote:
It's only OS-compatible, mind you, not chipset compatible. If you're writing code that hits the hardware, it'll need to be run through UAE, which is pretty well integrated into Aros now.
That's what I had picked up in immediate research... but with the UAE integration that sounds a bit easier to work with than dealing with WinUAE. Plus, I'm an OS geek and haven't used Aros yet.

I take it then most of the programming that is cross compatible is in the APIs - meaning if one were doing say, C coding with the Amiga, it'd work in Aros?
Old 03 November 2009, 14:36   #29
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
meaning if one were doing say, C coding with the Amiga, it'd work in Aros?
Not necessarily since hardware banging is perfectly possible in C too!

Last edited by StingRay; 03 November 2009 at 14:47. Reason: "lack of coffee" typo fixed :)
Old 03 November 2009, 14:46   #30
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Not necessarily since hardware banging in perfectly possible in C too!
Heh. Banging.

Fair enough... I should've done my "more research" before asking that though, as reading and watching a couple demo videos... I get what's going on with Aros now.

Needless to say I want - and will be installing on my spare partition immediately when I get home today. Wow.

Now if I could just, you know... learn programming...
Old 03 November 2009, 16:03   #31
Dunny

Quote:
They'll come in white, black, red, yellow and metallic pink.
Awww, no white/tan (or cream/tan) combinations? Shame

D.
Old 05 November 2009, 13:31   #32
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

so just to let me get this straight in my head cammy
some of the aros team are developing for the netbook market ie atom + its chipset
allready know about us paying through the teeth run windows and it one of the reasons screen rez id 1200x600

or you are developing hardware for aros to work on, if so do something about the 600 bit in the rez if you can

iether way
ps thanks for havein icaros in you sig saves me bookmarking it , it realy is comeing along a treat now
Old 05 November 2009, 17:46   #33
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Either Aros isn't ready for my netbook or my netbook's not ready for Aros. Just doesn't want to boot right. Ah well. Back to the XAmiga idea. However I might make an aros partition on my desktop just to have a new OS to futz with.
Old 07 November 2009, 06:51   #34
Cammy

Dunny, unfortunately it seems the days of beige/tan computers have ended. I think we're lucky to have the choice of five different colours though. The white one reminds me of a clean new A600 or A1200, the black one reminds me of a CD32 (it looks more dark grey with a black keyboard). The yellow one is Bumblebee from the Transformers, the red one is the fastest, and the metallic pink one might go down well with girls and effeminate males.

cosmicfrog, the A1600 is an unbranded OEM netbook that we can import directly from the wholesaler with no pre-installed OS. The specifications are practically the same as most other netbooks on the market, which means they only come with screens in resolutions of 1024x576 and 1024x600. I am a little bit upset because the test model they sent me is the 576 model, which means any program or game designed for 800x600 resolutions won't fit. By the time we have the packaged deal ready, we won't settle for less than 1024x600.

Unfortunately due to the size of these netbooks with their 10.2" screens, they just don't come in higher resolutions until you get larger models. We may look into full-size laptops if this netbook idea pans out.

So far, our test model boots into Grub, which waits 1 second for you to select Ubuntu Karmic Koala Netbook Remix (if you choose to) before it defaults to booting Icaros Desktop Lite. This gives you a choice to boot Linux if you want, but will boot into Aros if you don't touch anything. Icaros loads up in 1024x576 and runs extremely quickly. I have never experienced an Amiga this fast, or an Operating System this responsive! Soon we will have hardware accelerated 3D too. We just need to write AHI drivers for the audio chipset, Poseidon drivers for the WLAN and Webcam, and everything should be ready to go.

AB Positive, did you manage to boot into Icaros via the Live-CD? Usually a netbook's BIOS allows you to use an external USB CD/DVD drive as a boot device, pretending it's internal so the OS doesn't need to load the USB stack first to recognize it (that'd be a catch-22). If you can boot into Icaros, you can use the InstallAROS tool in the Tools/ drawer to add a partition to your drive for Aros and install it. I found this was the easiest way to install Aros on my internal drive after stuffing around with setting up partitions for it. Once it's installed, the partitions should be able to be resized later anyway.

Let me know how you're going because I'd love to help you get Aros installed, it's a lot of fun.
Old 07 November 2009, 13:52   #35
rare_j
Zone Friend

What refresh rates do the screens support?
My laptop supports 50hz and 60hz which makes it ideal for scrolling games in winuae.
I also like the idea of a 576 model - nearly the perfect res for that retro workbench feel!

Last edited by rare_j; 07 November 2009 at 13:57.
Old 07 November 2009, 16:42   #36
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

cammy Kewl so it is an msi wind clone thingy ace

nice to know work is been done on drivers, don`t forget the web cam if you can

we have microsoft to thank for the 1024x600 resolution

msi wind net books are ace as they can run all kinds of os`s aros,mac osx,xp, win7,linix must try amithlon some time on mine
Old 07 November 2009, 18:39   #37
UncleSpam

My HP Mini 5101 has the HD display with 1366x768 resolution. It is also a 10.2" display, but with the optional higher resolution screen.

Excellent eyesight required

- Bogdan
Old 07 November 2009, 19:00   #38
Pyromania

Amiga emulation via WinUAE works great on Acer Aspire One running Android and XP.
Old 08 November 2009, 12:25   #39
Cammy

Sorry AB, I forgot you mentioned in your first post that you don' have an external CD drive, bummer. I have been using a 5.25" External Box with an IDE-USB adapter in it, and it seems to be working fine now with both my new netbook, and this Acer Aspire 3610. I hope you can borrow one from someone!

In fact, this Acer Aspire 3610 seems much better supported, since it's a little older. Icaros boots straight into the native 1280x800 resolution, ethernet and wireless both work, sound and music work, USB works, the internal HDD partitions show up and are accessible, movies work with audio and subtitles...

I'm posting this from Origyn Web Browser, which has full CSS support and renders this site and every other site I've tested including YouTube, FaceBook and MySpace (although inline flash videos don't work yet, but they can be played through MPlayer).

I don't think I'll ever need to boot back into Linux on this PC again, Aros does everything I need for daily use. IRC and MSN (with SabreMSN and WookieChat) work perfectly for chat, OWB works perfectly for browsing the web, MPlayer plays movies, and there are plenty of games and emulators on here.

By the way, I have been playing the first commercial game available for Aros, "BOH", and it's great fun Kind of like Alien Breed but with gameplay and perspective similar to Seek & Destroy.
Old 08 November 2009, 16:27   #40
doble07
AmiEmulators coder

WOW!

It's sound really good.

I hope some day, AmigaOS4 will work with i386 like Aros too.

Juan