English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 18 October 2009, 20:05   #1
Photon

Best ClassicWB for web on A600 portable - opinions?

Specs in signature.

So which version should I choose, and what are the obstacles?

I'm not specifically looking for a howto, but opinions and pointers and tips about obstacles, links etc.

I'm installing PFS3 on a SanDisk Extreme IV CF-card for this in WinUAE now.

My needs:
- it must be compatible with A600+kick 3.1 and preferably based on WB3.1 (does it matter?)
- Diskspace doesn't matter, ease of use does (including running as fast as possible on a 68000)
- I don't need NewIcons or > 2 bitplanes or advanced background in WB, but a version that has it and where I can turn selected options off would be nice. I intend to run it at 640x256 resolution on an 8" LCD.
- Doesn't need to be super-easy to install, but I'd like to avoid fixing issues with non-68000-compatible apps.
- I'd like to keep my current method of selecting WHDload games (navigate folders) as then I don't have to sort my games again (I use categories, not by name, and only a subset of the KGWHDload installs). But something that sets the config file to something that make as many games as possible work is a plus.
- File browser with text/iff/etc viewers and archivers would be very nice.
- irc, email, ftp, low-spec web browser would be good.

I'm looking to set something up in WinUAE, install, and then copy.
Old 18 October 2009, 23:04   #2
Bloodwych

Well, there is only one ClassicWB pack for 68k Amiga's and 3.1:

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/68k2.htm

The games assign found in the startup files can point to wherever you want (or store your WHDLoad titles) and the Add scripts simply look in the games assign and add all the games found automatically. See the vids (if you can stay awake through it all) :

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/tutorials.htm

It won't be perfect out of the box for all your requested requirements, but it will give you something to start customizing yourself.

If it's not to your taste, simply use it as a guide to what can be done.
Old 19 October 2009, 04:32   #3
Photon

Installed and running.

I set the overscan in prefs, saved, used Classicwb some, rebooted, and now it's ... 640x260, I think.

Should I have done it some other way?

What can I do now - I seem to have 640x260 left-adjusted, big border to the right
Old 19 October 2009, 14:25   #4
Bloodwych

If you simply delete the overscan.prefs from the Prefs/ENV-ARC/sys drawer, it will default to the standard 640x256 resolution (I think I have overscan set to 644x260 in the ClassicWB packs).

But yes, the only way you can make the Workbench area bigger and move around its centre point is to use Overscan in the Workbench prefs and/or the monitors actual screen controls. This setting has no affect on games and certain applications however.

I'm not experienced with LCD's and Amiga's, so perhaps someone else can give some better advice in tackling the border. Obviously what you are seeing is the Amiga's total output on the LCD, which like WinUAE, isn't centred by default on displays other than older CRT's.
Old 19 October 2009, 18:01   #5
Photon

Well, it seems to work off and on... after I got the big right border (probably a 640x260 ClassicWB-window in a properly overscanned WB display? (Guessing)), after a few reboots it was back to full overscan and looking good!

And now a few reboots later, it has decided to ignore the Palette that was looking good before and reverted to what I have at bootup!

I think there is some problem with Iprefs and now ClassicWB... for some reason I get "attempting to close all intuition... ehm windows" or something. Will investigate.