English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 21 November 2009, 15:06   #21
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

You're probably best off speaking to WEPL about this, this looks to me to be an error within WHDLoad itself, but this is more than likely caused by your hardware.

Its not my slave because the register file you gave me tells me that the error occurs within the RESLOAD function of WHDLoad and not within the slave itself.

I don't know what $4010 error code signifies, but obviously WEPL should know.
Old 21 November 2009, 15:18   #22
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
You're probably best off speaking to WEPL about this, this looks to me to be an error within WHDLoad itself, but this is more than likely caused by your hardware.

Its not my slave because the register file you gave me tells me that the error occurs within the RESLOAD function of WHDLoad and not within the slave itself.

I don't know what $4010 error code signifies, but obviously WEPL should know.
I've reported this via the Mantis I really hope, wepl can shed some light on this matter, because nothing that has helped others helps me I'm really curious about the reason fot this. I'll try to install OS3.1 from the original floppies to the other cf-card and see if it makes any difference. I really can't believe all my accelerators/mobos are busted especially when the memtests are ok.

Thank you Galahad for your help
Old 21 November 2009, 16:52   #23
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

It is an odd one for sure.

I have another idea.

Copy a load of files to ram so that ram is over half full, then try running Speedball 2, this will have the effect of ensuring that WHDLoad and Speedball 2 slave load at completely different memory locations.

Also, to do a proper memory test, copy a load of files to completely fill extended memory, and then try and copy them back down again.

Probably best to copy a big zip file or something, so that you can test if the file is corrupted by trying to unzip it, if the file is corrupted, then zip won't unzip it properly.

This might help isolate whether or not its a ram problem or something else.
Old 22 November 2009, 10:36   #24
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Copy a load of files to ram so that ram is over half full, then try running Speedball 2, this will have the effect of ensuring that WHDLoad and Speedball 2 slave load at completely different memory locations
I filled the ramdisk (32MB) with 17 megs of files, same result...

Quote:
Also, to do a proper memory test, copy a load of files to completely fill extended memory, and then try and copy them back down again.

Probably best to copy a big zip file or something, so that you can test if the file is corrupted by trying to unzip it, if the file is corrupted, then zip won't unzip it properly.
I created a zip-file of ~30 megs and copied to ramdisk, copied back and it was completely ok No errors.

So, I guess it's not about the ram. Which the leads to the question: What the h*ell can it be then?

I also installed "a vanilla" OS3.1 and latest whdload to the other cf card (and checked that the maxtransfer was indeed 1xfe00. Guess what: result is the same...

So I guess it's not a software problem, but a hardware one. But then again, what?

I got a reply from the mantis "discussion" asking whethre my ersion was original. It's not, but the same version is working for everyone else so thats another thing alltogether.

I hope this will eventually be solved. Is there someone with a MB1230XA@50 (also 68882@50) that can confirm that this title works?

*edit*
I tried the cd32 (v 2.2) -version and it *does work* at least for 5 minutes What the h*ll? What's the difference from the code point of view?

I'm really starting to hum "I'm going slightly mad... It finally happened..."

Last edited by emuola; 22 November 2009 at 11:26. Reason: cd32 version tested
Old 22 November 2009, 13:28   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I don't remember adding support to any cracked versions, I might have added support for my Dual Crew AGA fix, I can't remember. Probably best if you use an image from an original, your cracked version might be corrupted.

I've uploaded a 'disk.1' file to the zone, its from an original, can't remember which version it is, but its something to help track down whats going on.

Try that and get back to us. Its clearly not a ram issue, I personally think you just have a dodgy imaged copy.

EDIT: Its the Renegade Version

Last edited by Galahad/FLT; 22 November 2009 at 13:34.
Old 22 November 2009, 18:01   #26
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Thanks for the image... Unfortunately it does not help. It even seems that my system has some trouble copying that particular file for example from cf0 to dh0. Hung up a few times. Never does it with any other file... hmm. That can be a fat16 problem also. I really don't know.

Now the resload address changes, nothing more. Adress is now $3DB4.

Is there something very basic, I'm missing? This is my first A1200, so I may have missed something that everyone else already knows. Any startup sequence stuff, that usually is needed if there's a 60030 hooked up? Or anything?

I tried with the following whdload options (together and separately):

nocache
preload
nomemreverse
noautovec (this seems to be a very iportant with1230XA, nothing works without this)

CD32-version still works
Old 22 November 2009, 18:18   #27
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Right you've definately got problems here.

You shouldn't be having any problems copying the file. If you are, then that suggests that that WHDLoad has had problems accessing the file properly and hence the RESLOAD errors.

i'm not au fait with the CF side of things, but are you sure the max transfer rates for hard drive and CF are spot on?

Are you 100% sure your CF card is 100% working properly?
Old 22 November 2009, 18:33   #28
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

this is a total stab in the dark, (without reading everything in the thread) but should the Apollo 1230 mk3 need the MMU tooltype enabled?

I know i had some very strange errors on my A1200 when i reinstalled my system and forgot to add that, even in situations where it seemed like there was no need for it, or that the error given by WHDload was completely unrelated.
Old 22 November 2009, 18:43   #29
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Yes, your conclusion sounds very sensible Few things:

Quote:
i'm not au fait with the CF side of things, but are you sure the max transfer rates for hard drive and CF are spot on?
I have a cf-hd and another cf-card "via" pcmcia reader for transferring files between pc/amiga. I checked the maxtransfer value of the cf-hd and it was 1xfe00 (which is the value basically everyone suggests). But then again I read that you really don't know what's the exactly correct value for each cf-hd.

The fat16 formatted cf-card: should I set the maxtransfer for that too? How is it possible?
Quote:
Are you 100% sure your CF card is 100% working properly?
I'm really not sure Is there any really reliable way to test the card? I have tested with 2 different cf-cards (Sandisk 2GB and Kingston 4GB). The promlems are the same (even the error codes).
Quote:
this is a total stab in the dark, (without reading everything in the thread) but should the Apollo 1230 mk3 need the MMU tooltype enabled?

I know i had some very strange errors on my A1200 when i reinstalled my system and forgot to add that, even in situations where it seemed like there was no need for it, or that the error given by WHDload was completely unrelated.
Actually I'm unning the MB1230XA at the moment, but they both have 68030, so I guess your advice applies to the MB1239Xa also, right?

Last edited by emuola; 22 November 2009 at 18:53.
Old 22 November 2009, 18:47   #30
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Have you tried directly unzipping a preinstalled version from CF to Ram?
:and then running SB2 from Ram:
Old 22 November 2009, 19:12   #31
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
Actually I'm unning the MB1230XA at the moment, but they both have 68030, so I guess your advice applies to the MB1239Xa also, right?
my advice would apply and/or be equally as vague with any 030.
Old 22 November 2009, 19:30   #32
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Have you tried directly unzipping a preinstalled version from CF to Ram?
:and then running SB2 from Ram:
Yes, but it does not work either.
Old 22 November 2009, 21:31   #33
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Ok, as it seems that we've got something pretty unusual in our hands, I'd be very grateful if someone smarter could give me somekind of an "testing procedure" to track this down. Should I buy another cf-card. If yes, then what? How do I proceed to make sure that there's no room let for "testing error". I'm not a person who gives up, so I'm taking this to the extreme, if necessary

I'm sorry, but it seems my problem(s) are something else Please bare with me

Last edited by emuola; 22 November 2009 at 21:38.
Old 22 November 2009, 22:04   #34
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Have you tried transferring the files on an MS-DOS formatted disk? and bypassing the need for the CF Card?
Old 22 November 2009, 22:31   #35
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Have you tried transferring the files on an MS-DOS formatted disk? and bypassing the need for the CF Card?
Actually no. That's a gooda idea Just to make sure: Originally I've transferred the files using the cf-hd as a "real" amiga hd in winuae. I only used the cf-card (pcmcia) for trying out the disk.1 you kindly uploaded

I could start the testing by using the "vanilla OS3.1" (on the other cf-hd) and copying the disk.1 in/via Winuae. This way the cf/pcmcia wouldn't have anything to do with the files.

I'll also try (once more) with the Apollo 1230 mk3 and the same 32MB simm tosee, if it works in a different way. I just have to make sure, if there's anything wrong with the MB1230XA (I certainly hope not)

Thank yoiu everyone and especially Galahad for your kind advice

I'll report tomorrow
Old 23 November 2009, 17:59   #36
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Ok, we may be onto something over here...

I once more changed the "mask" and "maxtransfer" between the defaults and the recommended ones 0x1fe00 and 0xfe00. Same result.

I then changed the MB1230XA to Apollo 1230 Mk3. First, the Amiga would not boot at all, when the 32mb simm (that I was using before with the MB1230XA) was installed.

I then changed the simm to an IBM 16Mb one. Guess what, Amiga booted with Apollo and Speedball 2 worked

I then decide to try the same 16 MB simm with the MB1230XA, results were sad: resload errors...

Also I tried MB1230XA after nofastmem command run in shell. Same errors, so I guess it's not about ehe fastmem, but something else "on board".

So, is my MB1230Xa busted or what? All the system tests (from the supplied install disk) go through fine.

Any ideas?
Old 23 November 2009, 19:11   #37
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

did you try the MMU tooltype on the MB1230Xa in the end?
Old 23 November 2009, 19:12   #38
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
did you try the MMU tooltype on the MB1230Xa in the end?
Yes I did, sorry forgot to mention. The number of options in this "case" is quite big
Old 23 November 2009, 19:33   #39
Photon

Hey, got your message. I posted my whdload prefs, didn't I? I think I only disabled the AutoVector option. I did nothing special (like MMU or other settings in the SetXA utility) for the M1230XA, and I watched demos, used WB and played WHDload games. If you use my 128MB simm all should be set as it should. If you changed SIMM you have to set the access-time according to the specs on the memory chips, ofc.

Also, if you have kick 3.1 you can remove AutoXA from the s-s, and remove any Microbotics-stuff from the WB startup folder. Then you have what I had.

I used Killergorillas WHD-installs, and I did play maybe 20-30 games but not Speedball 2 I think.

There is one single clue here, and that is the 4MB thing. Was there a mobo solder-patch thingy for A1200 rev 1D4 related to the PCMCIA? And does your mobo have it?

One thing is completely sure: if everything works except some WHDload games, then your hardware is fine and WHDload/some WHDload slaves are incompatible (or you have to downgrade/adapt your hardware for some reason for WHDload or slaves to tolerate it). Just view some big pictures in DOpus in WB, or run a well-coded demo.

Last edited by Photon; 23 November 2009 at 19:40.
Old 23 November 2009, 19:48   #40
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Hey, got your message. I posted my whdload prefs, didn't I? I think I only disabled the AutoVector option. I did nothing special (like MMU or other settings in the SetXA utility) for the M1230XA, and I watched demos, used WB and played WHDload games. If you use my 128MB simm all should be set as it should. If you changed SIMM you have to set the access-time according to the specs on the memory chips, ofc.
Yes, you did post them, thank you I just wante to ask whethe I shoul/should not have something in the s-s. Now I know that my setup is correct. I have tried with your simm and others and always changed the settings in setxa. I have also tested every simm with very "slow" settings just to make sure.

Quote:
There is one single clue here, and that is the 4MB thing. Was there a mobo solder-patch thingy for A1200 rev 1D4 related to the PCMCIA? And does your mobo have it?
My mobo does not have any (visible) fixes. I'll investigate this mater to the extreme before I start desoldering/soldering...

Quote:
One thing is completely sure: if everything works except some WHDload games, then your hardware is fine and WHDload/some WHDload slaves are incompatible. Just view some big pictures in DOpus in WB, or run a well-coded demo.
Yes, that's what I've thought, but as people have been telling me that the slaves basically work for everyone else... Ofc there may be other problematic games also, but there certainly are games that work ok too

I'll run some demo stuff for testing purposes. At least the "beach ball" -test (it renders a beach ball..) suplied on the MB1230XA install disk goes through and I get some very respectable scores

I just wonder what really causes those resloads. Like I posted, I've reported the errors via the mantis, so we'll see about that.

Thanks Photon for reply