Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
watch your thong young ... erm nevermind
I know what you mean you old sl...nevermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
I still use floppies today

Did I just say that Well, the floppy is still a very useful and versatile piece of media, for me it has saved my life on my peecee many times, especially the latest piece of software I got. I have several floppies with HDD tools on them, which can't be put on anything else, so they have become an invaluable collection of tools I'll never get rid of. Floppies forever
I use WinUAE and I am not Amiga owner but I will get some used A600 with HD for solid price in future AND:
I would play HD install games from HD and the rest from floppies, believe or not
I use CDs and DVDs for backups but I still have few floppies with tools and utils that I use for my old PCs (disk managers, drivers, DOS 6.22).
Floppies are cool.
Old 09 May 2009, 21:31   #42
StarEye
Zone Friend

Let me put it this way: had WHDload never existed, I would still use my Amiga just as much as I do nowadays. We were a lot more patient back in the days I think, though. I always laughed when Playstation owners complained about the loading times - but nowadays I kinda do the same on modern consoles. For example, I haven't played too much of Rag Doll Kung Fu on the PSN, simply because it takes too long to load.

Maybe it was the little clicks and ticks the floppy drive makes, but you can hear it loading. Many times, modern consoles don't give any feedback, either it's just a black screen or it's a spinning disc in one of the corners. The feedback kinda makes it bearable.

To be honest, I kinda miss using floppy disks at times, but I just can't be bothered grabbing them from my vast archive of floppies. Back in the days, I would already have all my amiga floppies in a box on the table, ready for use. I didn't have a million games, only favourites of mine. Unlike some people I knew, I didn't collect everything. One of my friends and some of my contacts was a completist, and had to have everything even if it was a shitty game, demo, even programs.

Oh, and I completed Monkey Island 2, played to the end of Fate of Atlantis, Willy Beamish and Beneath a Steel Sky, and countless other games with a vast number of disks, all from floppies.
Old 09 May 2009, 23:35   #43
klx300r

damn it was a joy on the Amiga back in the late 80's but the my 64 on the other hand..i still have hand jitters thinking about all those disk swaps playing Ultima IV
Old 09 May 2009, 23:46   #44
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
i still have hand jitters thinking about all those disk swaps playing Ultima IV
Only two disks... with two sides... okay, not too convenient then
Old 10 May 2009, 00:27   #45
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Today it's a bit easier, with Ultima IV Gold on two disk sides.

http://www.paradroid.net/u4/
Old 11 May 2009, 08:25   #46
humble worm

get yourself atari xl/xe and load games from tape, you will find what "annoying" means

the first home computer I witnessed was amiga 500, I saw 8 bit machines & tapes later - it made me appreciate amiga floppy drive more

loading time or changing disks were not a problem for me, what I did not like about floppies was that they got easily damaged

Last edited by humble worm; 11 May 2009 at 08:51.
Old 11 May 2009, 13:02   #47
AmigaFriend

After being a Speccy user for 3 years and much suffering with the loading times of tapes (I remember a particular chess game, that we had to wait near 10 minutes to load!! Lucky I didn't played chess much though ), the floppy from my A500 was a turbo mode loading pleasure.

I enjoyed very much that A500 floppy sounds. Even today I use it on WinUAE.
Old 11 May 2009, 13:08   #48
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
(I remember a particular chess game, that we had to wait near 10 minutes to load!! Lucky I didn't played chess much though )
10 minutes? That's nothing I remember Trivial Pursuit on the C64 took more than 20 minutes to load. I used to play it with my brother and he really liked it...
Old 11 May 2009, 13:13   #49
DH
Global Moderator

How about a couple of hours to load in a game on the C64. Obviously there was a read error but I was determined to get it working, so I rigged the hi-fi to the C64 and fiddled around with the bass and treble until it loaded I think the original tape deck for the C64 was playing up so I eventually replaced it with a shiny new one
Old 11 May 2009, 14:15   #50
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Geezers eh? Watch your tongue young man (though I doubt you beat Sensi )
Like blackcornflake (and Einstein ) said, it's relative to where you come from and having a HD in the first place surely doesn't help falling in love with floppies You should try Alien Breed from floppy and wait for the 'Insert disk 2' speech. Maybe that changes your mind
I agree, some of the demo stuff had great disk-change audio/video delights happening, and it was always good to know that after the final 3 triplets and the long shudder of the floppy read head that Op Wolf was ready to play!
Old 11 May 2009, 14:18   #51
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
10 minutes? That's nothing I remember Trivial Pursuit on the C64 took more than 20 minutes to load. I used to play it with my brother and he really liked it...

Now THAT deserves a snack while you wait!
Old 11 May 2009, 14:22   #52
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Floppies annoying?

Back then: of course not, that was the only way to play a game!
Now days: what are those "floppy disks" that you speak of?
Old 11 May 2009, 14:33   #53
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
Now THAT deserves a snack while you wait!
Like I said : You could make and have a snack and do your homework without any problems
Old 11 May 2009, 15:24   #54
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Using floppy double density disks taught me patience. Not that the load times were overly long, just long enough to instill some discipline in me. These days, if a power devouring photo editing suite or graphics hungry game doesn't load up within two seconds of a mouse click, people complain. Cry me a river, then jump in it.

As others have said, loading up applications and games from diskettes was an experience unto itself. The whirring, clicking and droning noises emanating from good ol' DF0 provided aural feedback about the progress of the load, and was in turn quite relaxing and harmonious as you, say, simultaneously gathered yourself up and wound yourself down in preparation for your favourite game (Gods) to commence.

And then there were panic-stricken moments too, like when your drive made the familiar grinding noise as it encountered a disk error, and you'd sweat as you fretfully watched the LED light flash on and off, your mouth dry. But you know what? That was all part of the fun!

So please...do not knock the DDs.

And I'm not talking about breasts, but you shouldn't knock those either.
Old 11 May 2009, 15:33   #55
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Muzkat: exactly!
Old 11 May 2009, 15:43   #56
chiark
Needs a life

They were a revelation.

I still shudder to think how much of my life I wasted waiting for Manic Miner to load from casette on a Commodore 64. I think it was about 15 minutes per load... Sheesh!

So floppies were/are awesome
Old 11 May 2009, 15:49   #57
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Floppies were bareable at the time.

Now they are burning evil sent from hell to kill us all.
Old 11 May 2009, 16:22   #58
Shoonay
Global Caturator

kg: exactly!

Old 12 May 2009, 12:56   #59
switchblade

Why do I get the odd feeling that I've somehow struck a chord or a nerve here just by bringing up floppy disk load times? >_>
Old 12 May 2009, 13:05   #60
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade View Post
Why do I get the odd feeling that I've somehow struck a chord or a nerve here just by bringing up floppy disk load times? >_>
What? You didn't intended to start a flame war? Awww...
Did you really expect that people would say 'Yes' or 'No' in this thread?