English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 October 2015, 19:47   #21
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
An accelerator in an Amiga that can run games like Doom/Quake at full speed 60fps! Thats what I would want
i don't think i'll ever understand this...
Old 13 October 2015, 20:25   #22
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

For me Amiga and its memories will have a decent future paradoxically when all people trying to milk "the name" will pull the plug and all will be left to users and aficionados...
Old 13 October 2015, 22:21   #23
trydowave

I was playing Turrican the other day and I think ill probably be playing it when im 75 (if I live that long ) along with Last Ninja on the C64 and KOF on the Neo Geo. That's the future for the Amiga for me and it will end when I and the machine itself shuffle off this mortal coil.
I don't really like the term Retro gaming. I just play games that I enjoy no matter how old. Half life 2 is still highly enjoyable and i'm not sure if that's considered retro yet?

I don't understand wanting to play doom on an Amiga either. Ive got a crappy old PC installed with ICAROS and it runs Duke Nukem better than any old Amiga could. I don't use it much
Old 13 October 2015, 22:28   #24
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Amiga = Turrican. PC = Doom. I dont know why should I combine it. I will not play PC version of Turrican as well as I will not play Doom on Amiga.
Old 13 October 2015, 22:46   #25
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
I don't understand wanting to play doom on an Amiga either. Ive got a crappy old PC installed with ICAROS and it runs Duke Nukem better than any old Amiga could. I don't use it much
The main reason in the past was retailation: it was said it could not be done,so Amigans were doing anything to show otherwise,but now i dunno...
Old 13 October 2015, 23:13   #26
zerohour1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
An accelerator in an Amiga that can run games like Doom/Quake at full speed 60fps! Thats what I would want
Just run it on PC much easier and quicker
Old 14 October 2015, 00:21   #27
daxb

CPU (68k typ), memory and HD must/will be fast enough, not the fastest available. GUI in HD solution must/will be at least as fast as PAL LowRes in 4 colors on a stock A1200. So, you don`t have to wait for the mashine while working with it. Non exotic connectors/interfaces of course.
Old 14 October 2015, 01:44   #28
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
The main reason in the past was retailation: it was said it could not be done,so Amigans were doing anything to show otherwise,but now i dunno...
Late time Amiga history is really sad and lame like that.
Instead of focusing on producing original stuff, they started to focus on poorly copying PCs. And this is what "Amiga today" is and what "Amiga future" seems to be for a lot of people. A generations behind copycat of what other machines have been able to do for many years.

I'm fine with my 68k machine playing games and using DPaint/Protracker, thanks.
Old 14 October 2015, 01:57   #29
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Well when your non-amigan friend go there and say "Your machine cannot do {something} " and instead you are aware to have the BEST machine EVER is easy to fall in that trap; and whether was PC with doom or consoles with zelda or shooters or mac with DTP and such it did fuel Amiga software at least since the early nineties; add an inferiority complex due to the fact that outside geeky circles Amiga was not even considered a computer or a serious one and there you have it... is all about strive for recognition, and is going on still now (i feel that way due to the lack of a vivid retrogaming scene like other machines);

however this strive provided with some of the best games like turrican 2 and 3, apydia, pagestream, final writer...
Old 14 October 2015, 02:20   #30
Amiga1992

This kind of puny and stupid competition was maybe OK when we were teenagers, but people perpetuating it well into their adulthood is really sad. That's all.
Unfortunately the "future of AMiga" seems forever tied to this ridiculous feud.
Old 14 October 2015, 05:57   #31
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Late time Amiga history is really sad and lame like that.
Instead of focusing on producing original stuff, they started to focus on poorly copying PCs. And this is what "Amiga today" is and what "Amiga future" seems to be for a lot of people. A generations behind copycat of what other machines have been able to do for many years.

I'm fine with my 68k machine playing games and using DPaint/Protracker, thanks.
I agree with the Akira kitten.

Sure, I do regret that Amiga is nothing but a zombie trademark and that we will never see future official Amigas ever. But that does not make my A500 any less wonderful than it was in the past and any less worthy of being coded on.

If I want performance or modern OSes and tools I have my Mac and PC for that and no genetically engineered Amiga can beat that in terms of convenience, safety and performance. If I want to have fun mastering a simple yet complex and powerful platform then I am happy to use my Amiga as it was made by Commodore since I know these kittens are far from having been exploited to their limits.

Plenty of challenge, plenty of fun and them being outdated is precisely what makes it interesting. That's where the future of my Amiga lies.
Old 14 October 2015, 06:39   #32
Amiga1992

I'm a kitten

Just look at the C64 scene. Without outlandish expansions, and truly without expanding the main specs, they push and push the hardware to limits before thought impossible. Nobody cares about replicating the SuperCPU. But the 1541 Ultimate is a great tool to help your C= be current.

I hope the future of Amiga lies more within those lines, of pushing stock hardware limits beyond impossibility, and with peripherals that work as HELPERS to interface our old computers with modern hardware. Bring on software made for stock OCS, ECS and AGA systems. Forget there ever were expansions, forget the feud with otehr systems, forget the "trying to catch up to other platforms", accept the Amiga as it is, which is quite awesome, and embrace it and work with what you have.

Trying to "browse the internet" in an Amiga, or playing DOOM?!. UGH. What's the fun in that?
Old 14 October 2015, 09:23   #33
spud

and forget that PPC happened at all.
Old 14 October 2015, 10:32   #34
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Trying to "browse the internet" in an Amiga
Aminet.
Old 14 October 2015, 12:17   #35
Gzegzolka

I do not mind stuff like playing doom or quake on real amiga hardware. Sure I prefer playing Black Viper or Ruff'n'Tumble since those are more "amiga" feel games. I would love to see more games like that, pushing ECS/AGA to it's limit or simple fun games in that 90's feel.

I understood that there will be always people who like to prove that something is possible on Amiga. Amiga was not made with 3d games in mind for sure. If we get some small and nice cd32 accelerator I would love to see Erok made cd32 doom or duke nukem 3d for his collection, that would be awesome. Also I like idea of porting old ms-dos games like Raptor or Commander Keen, as long as they could be made back then for A500 or A1200 too.
Old 14 October 2015, 13:36   #36
Overflow

Well, I can see both sides of the "argument".

I got my decently specced Wintel PC in the office with 2x23 inch monitors for my office work, browsing and to a decreasing degree gaming.

Next to those monitors sits my monitor hooked up to A1200 connected thru Indivision mk 2. The Amiga was dormant for many years in a box/basement until quite recently. Loading it up to play games brought out many good memories. When I have my semi regular LANs with old friends (we have a bunch of 10-18 people that comes together every 3 months) we all enjoy the typical Amiga games like Galaga, IK+ etc

BUT, when in Workbench I admit my xx years exposed to high resolution thru Wintel has made me spoiled. The Indivision helped alot in that regard. Same with file transfer using USB/SD.
Then there is speed. My Blizzard 30/50 is quite good, but I wouldnt mind a little more speed/memory. High resolutions+many colors slows Workbench down, that aside; Ive actually started using Final Writer instead of LibreOffice just for the hell of it
Again, this is where I wouldnt mind some more speed.
I realise you would have to be quite bonkers to use single screen Amiga for office work instead of dual monitor wintel, but it would be ...fun(?) to use WB 3.1 as main OS again.

Considering the low price Majesta seems to target for the Apollo accelerator, I can see why some (myself included) are intrested in that.

A sidecomment; I find myself more impressed by C64 demos than Amiga and PCs, so I guess I agree with ReadonlyCat and Akira on their main point.
Old 14 October 2015, 14:27   #37
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i have no objections whatsoever to faster Amigas with better graphics &c, i would buy one of Majsta's accelerators in a shot if he produced an A1200 version. I just don't get why anyone would want it specifically to play Doom or Quake. I mean i can understand the technical challenge of writing them, whether back in the '90s or even now, but if that's all you want to play there seems an easier solution to that.

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 14 October 2015 at 14:54. Reason: spelling
Old 14 October 2015, 14:40   #38
daxb

Come on preaching hardliners/kittens that is just stupid. With a stock Amiga you can only play old games and use very old programs. Its like limit a alredy limited system anymore. There so much games/programs that only works or is only useable with an expanded system. And by the way, old (stock or not) hardware has no future because they just die in the future. A FPGA replacement could prevent that. Near all the fun can be done with it. No need of a "modern" computer.

And "pushing stock hardware limits beyond impossibility" is just dreaming IMHO. The most limits are reached already in the nineties and I guess we all know the limits.
Old 14 October 2015, 18:14   #39
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
With a stock Amiga you can only play old games and use very old programs.
Not true completely.
The problem is that there are not many new programs running in a stock Amiga.

My software, PT-1210, runs on a stock machine and proudly so. Made in 2014. How is that old? It just took two guys with the same goal in mind: to have it run in as low a hardware spec as possible. And it happened.

Sadly most people either don't bother with Amiga at all, or just target accelerated or NG specs.

You evidently have not seen the C64 scene at all, daxb, believe me that limits have not been reached it seems, as they keep getting pushed every year. There's a lot to do with stock hardware, just nobody actually doing anything.
Old 14 October 2015, 19:39   #40
4mat_
Demoscene musician

Yeah C64 is king of demoscene R&D, constant improvements and new stuff for the last 10 years.

A500 scene has been having a bit of a comeback recently, though there aren't that many coders around. Few records well and truly beaten there too.