English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 20 November 2011, 20:00   #1
pinchez

Breathing new life in to my loft kept 1200!

I've been out of the Amiga scene for about 15 years but suddenly got the urge to get back in! Over the years I've picked up various computers from Car Boots etc. but they always end up in the loft hours later. I decided to resurrect a 1200 that was in the loft (amongst a 600, 5 x Atari ST's and various other consoles and computers - I'm a bit of a hoarder!)

Well after cleaning, testing and much research on this board and other lesser sites this is where I am up to.

I have a fully working Amiga 1200 Rev 1B, case is almost white, Keyboard is very yellow, top metal inernal shied is missing (does it matter?) and I've also bought a nice little Scart RGB LED Monitor (16" LUXOR LUX-16-914-TVB) for it and that's as far as I've got.

I've been trying my best to get a Blizzard 1230 MK IV with 50Mhz FPU and at least 16mb (I'm prepared to pay the going rate) but no luck so far. If I don't get a Blizzard by the time the ACA-1231/42 comes out (been put back to early December now) I'll just get that as I don't want to spend more than £160 on an accelerator.

I'm also looking at replacing the Capacitors in the 1200, Anyone know of somewhere I can buy a full set?

I've decided to try and retro-bright the case and buy a new keyboard as the original really is terrible!

Just ordered the following from Amigakit.

EasyADF PCMCIA Compact Flash Transfer Kit, already have a spare 1GB CF
SCART TV TO AMIGA RGB CABLE 4.8M WITH AUDIO, Seems expensive and don't really want 4.8m but I've read it's the best.
4GB CF IDE HARD DISK, Any point in getting a version that takes 2 CF's?
A1200 replacement keyboard (UK), The one I have is very yellow.
Kickstart 3.1 ROMS, Thought I may as well bring it up to date
A1200 Triple LED Adapter (Power/HDD/FDD), Power LED is dead

How long does delivery normaly take? everything was in stock when ordered today.

So that's my hardware plans and once I get those sorted I'll move on to Software! I'm really hoping to have it all up and running before Christmas, the only thing that's holding me back is the Accelerator and finding replacement caps.

Old 21 November 2011, 02:49   #2
Djay
95th User

I've been trying my best to get a Blizzard 1230 MK IV with 50Mhz FPU and at least 16mb (I'm prepared to pay the going rate) but no luck so far. If I don't get a Blizzard by the time the ACA-1231/42 comes out (been put back to early December now) I'll just get that as I don't want to spend more than £160 on an accelerator.

cant recommend enough, my video of Frontier using and without accelerator... (try amibay
http://www.youtube.com/user/DjayAmig.../2/pq-FhH-ve6w
and here is a photo of the speed increase

I'm also looking at replacing the Capacitors in the 1200, Anyone know of somewhere I can buy a full set?

Amigakit or request to buy at amibay

SCART TV TO AMIGA RGB CABLE 4.8M WITH AUDIO, Seems expensive and don't really want 4.8m but I've read it's the best.

i have the short one running on my A600 to LCD TV (its LCD fixed by Amiga kit works great) here is my video of the difference [ Show youtube player ]

4GB CF IDE HARD DISK, Any point in getting a version that takes 2 CF's?

nice to have a static HD and then you can transfer files from the PC to the Amiga as the PCMCIA is hot swappable, i know it sounds a bit silly but it kinda feels more complete with a built HD and they are not too expensive, also 1GB on your other CF sounds alot, but once you have got WHDLoad up and running and yes you really do want to, its uhmmm not

A1200 replacement keyboard (UK), The one I have is very yellow.

yepp, nothing worse than looking at a white machine with yellow keys at some point i need to a bright white case and keys for my A600, its not actually that bad but nowhere near my A1200
here is a photo, you can see the difference

Kickstart 3.1 ROMS, Thought I may as well bring it up to date

quick list of the benefits:-
3.0 cannot run AmigaOS later than 3.1 (it doesn't support loading in modules from AmigaOS updates like 3.1 does)
3.1 contains many bug fixes to the libraries both internally and on the disk
3.1 is more up-to-date
3.1 supports the Akiko chip when used on a CD32
3.1 supports the extra CD32 libraries that are built into ROM (namely lowlevel.library and nonvolatile.library)
3.1 contains minor improvements to RTG handling
3.1 contains the additional datatypes: ANIM and CDXL
3.1 introduces a small delay whilst checking for hard drives. This gets around the old 3.0 bug whereby a hard drive is not always recognised from cold boot.

How long does delivery normaly take? everything was in stock when ordered today.

not long for the stuff you have ordered, should be with you by the end of the week

Last edited by Djay; 21 November 2011 at 03:00.
Old 21 November 2011, 17:26   #3
pinchez

Thanks Djay that was one of the most informative replies i've ever had

I watched the Frontier video and it bought back great memories, I did have a Blizzard Accelerator back in the day so I know roughly what i'm getting in performance terms. I've already posted on Amibay for a Blizzard Wanted and constantly checking the site throughout the day I let one slip away from me on Amibay (Blizzard 1230 with FPU and 16GB for almost £170 Boxed etc) at the time my thoughts were I'm not paying more for a second hand Accelerator than a new ACA-1231/42 for around £160 delivered with 12 months warranty. But now release date for that card as slipped to December and who's to say it won't slip again!

I have been offered another Blizzard with 128mb and no FPU or original box for £175. But then I would have to try and get my hands on an FPU and last time they were in stock anywhere they were about £40. So i'm thinking this may be a little to rich for me although I haven't dismissed it yet!

I wish I just bought the first blizzard

The hunt continues, watching one on the bay atm and it's exactly what I want and doing a completed history search shows that they usually go for the sum I have in mind so fingers crossed!

I'm probably going to shorten the the Amiga to Scart TV cable myself in to a more manageable 1.5 meters by de-soldering one end, chopping the cable then re-soldering.

I will use the 4GB CF/IDE as my static drive and will probably install Classic Workbench along with WHDLoad Games etc. Then use the 1GB CF I already have along with the PCMCIA Compact Flash Transfer Kit to transfer stuff from PC to Amiga.

Also thanks for all the detailed information about the 3.1 Roms, really glad I ordered them now

I contacted someone on Amibay about caps for the Amiga but not heard back from them yet. I couldn't see anywhere on Amigakit that listed the caps, So I'm still looking for those as well.

Thanks again
Old 22 November 2011, 02:51   #4
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchez View Post
I contacted someone on Amibay about caps for the Amiga but not heard back from them yet. I couldn't see anywhere on Amigakit that listed the caps, So I'm still looking for those as well.
Capacitor Replacement Service
Old 22 November 2011, 03:56   #5
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
indeed we love amigakit, well I do especially after meeting them earlier in the month so they probably be able to help you out.

failing that cosmos on here and amibay has some caps for sale but you would still need to find someone to replace them if you cant do it your self.

either way welcome and ribbits to the mad house that is EAB lots to do and lots to see
Old 22 November 2011, 09:47   #6
pinchez

Good news, cosmos got back to me yesterday so I'll be receiving my caps soon I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so I'll be doing them myself.

Also got my fingers in another blizzard accelerator pie but will have to buy the whole Amiga to get it! The price isn't too steep though.
Old 22 November 2011, 10:22   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
indeed we love amigakit, well I do especially after meeting them earlier in the month so they probably be able to help you out.

failing that cosmos on here and amibay has some caps for sale but you would still need to find someone to replace them if you cant do it your self.

either way welcome and ribbits to the mad house that is EAB lots to do and lots to see
lol, final design for the magic smoke prototype is almost ready, .
Old 22 November 2011, 22:13   #8
pinchez

Not been a good night for Accelerator hunting

I was hoping to buy a Custom 1200 with Blizzard MK IV from Amibay I was third in line behind 2 other foreign buyers but because the chap who was selling it put "Due to the weight of this item, I’d prefer to sell to UK only" I thought yay I'm in with a chance. Unfortuanately for me he his offering it to them first. I am miffed but admire his fairness!

I was also bidding on a Blizzard A1230 MK IV but after it went over £165 I backed out.

It's pretty tough trying to get an accelerator!!!

Good news is Cosmos as posted my Capacitors for both the 1200 and I've got some for a 600 I have that's displaying a black screen and scroll lock on, hopefully caps might cure it

Amigakit as also picked my order so that shouldn't be too long now.

Last edited by pinchez; 22 November 2011 at 22:20. Reason: correcting quote