English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 March 2010, 02:35   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hawk Ram board & Whdload

Hello:
I'm new at this and I'm from Spain, so excuse my english. First of all a salute to all the Amiga fans.
To introduce myself I have to say I'm a retro fan, and have two C64's (one repaired by myself changing chips and reading forums), two 48k Spectrums, a Megadrive, a SNES and lot of games.
I have to tell I know very few about computers and so, but I'm a handyman.
I have received the A1200 4 days ago (and I've treated it with Retrobright with excellent results) but I've been reading things since 4 weeks ago. I'm also into an internal cd-rom project.
To go to the point: The Amiga came with a Hawk ramboard with 2 mb's, and I put a 4Gb flashdrive as Hardrive and the kickstarts roms. I changed the memory of the Hawk board to 8 mb.
The Whdload games worked fine (only some of them because of memory problems), but today I noticed I haven't changed nothing when I put the memory, so today I changed the jumpers. All ok, it reads the memory, but when I try to play the same games that worked, they don't.
So if I put the jumpers to 2mb I can play them, but not if I change them to 8mb (it says not enough memory available or something like that).
The jumpers are in the right possition:
LK1 = open, close, close
LK2 = close, close, open
LK3 = open, close, close

I have to say I coudn't install the floppy disk of the Hawk ram because I bought the Amiga with the floppy drive out of order (for 50 pounds with box, joystick, instructions and all the Dynamite pack).

Any suggestion, please?

Last edited by Retrofan; 14 September 2013 at 02:35. Reason: Improvements
Old 22 March 2010, 11:56   #2
Philophus

Sounds like wrong memory simm size to me Ie: you are trying to use a mb simm as an 8mb simm or if it is infact an 8mb simm it may be faulty....double check your simm size.
Old 23 March 2010, 17:53   #3
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yesterday I changed the jumpers to 4 mb, and it works right. Now I can play games I coudn't before. The thing is I'm loosing half of the memory this way. Can this be a kind of software problem? As I say still haven't installed the Hawk software
The chips on the simm (8 over it) have an sticker that says 8 mb, althought I believe they are 60ns for the last digits, instead of the other simm in which are 70ns. But don't think it matters...
Old 23 March 2010, 18:02   #4
Bloodwych

Someone had the exact same issue: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=50501&page=2

Read further down the page. I used to have this board and it was a little choosy over 8MB simms, but I had a bag full to choose from.

Also, you say you are loosing half the RAM with 4MB fast, which you are, but you do gain use of the PCMCIA slot.

You can play almost any WHDLoad game with 4MB fast.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 23 March 2010 at 18:12.
Old 24 March 2010, 01:38   #5
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
And the ones that "refuses" to work can just have the icon edited.

Left-click on icon, hold the right Amiga key on the keyboard (right of the space bar) and press the "I" key. On the opened window, click on "preload" and put a dot-comma ( ; ) before the word, then press "Enter". The line will be modified to " ;PRELOAD ". Click on save and hey! presto! Non-working games will start to run.
Old 24 March 2010, 02:20   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

And most of them run then in a "black flashing slide show" while they load. It's NEVER recommended to remove the standard "Preload" tooltype.
Old 25 March 2010, 15:43   #7
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
And most of them run then in a "black flashing slide show" while they load. It's NEVER recommended to remove the standard "Preload" tooltype.
Never knew that, but if it was never going to run in the first place.....then why not give it a go.
Old 26 March 2010, 03:31   #8
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
For the poor people (as I am) which cannot afford every über top-of-the-shelf expansions (=$$$$), disabling PRELOAD will slow down the things a lot, but they will function, and that's all it is needed.