English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 December 2005, 15:09   #21
damon_sisk
Zone Friend

A pullup resistor must be used to interface the sega master system phaser to the amiga. The conversion is as follows:

To Amiga Joystick port 2:__________To Sega 3050:
______9 pin female_________________9 pin male

_____Trigger___5 ---------------------6----
_____HitSense__6 --------------------7___ || 10k pullup res.
_____+5_______7 ---------------------5----__from pin 5 to 6
_____Gnd______8 ---------------------8______mounted in connector.

(The _ characters were used instead of spacebar characters because this site automatically removes extra spacebar characters and the formating is important.)
There is a 10k pullup resistor from +5 to the trigger (between pins 7 and 5 on the amiga joystick port). I found this on Usenet, but I don't know who designed it. It works very well for converting the sega 3050 to an actionware phaser.

Last edited by damon_sisk; 20 December 2005 at 15:15.
Old 20 December 2005, 20:01   #22
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon_sisk
A pullup resistor must be used to interface the sega master system phaser to the amiga. The conversion is as follows:

To Amiga Joystick port 2:__________To Sega 3050:
______9 pin female_________________9 pin male

_____Trigger___5 ---------------------6----
_____HitSense__6 --------------------7___ || 10k pullup res.
_____+5_______7 ---------------------5----__from pin 5 to 6

(The _ characters were used instead of spacebar characters because this site automatically removes extra spacebar characters and the formating is important.)
There is a 10k pullup resistor from +5 to the trigger (between pins 7 and 5 on the amiga joystick port). I found this on Usenet, but I don't know who designed it. It works very well for converting the sega 3050 to an actionware phaser.
Thanx

see linked a amiga bible book's page about joystick port modifyed with information about Trojan & actionware light guns
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LightGun.pdf (80.3 KB, 511 views)
Old 20 December 2005, 21:57   #23
CFou!

Hi

Can you test this new version with your trojan & actionware adaptators?

of course:
First press 'C' to calibrate (1 shoot needed now and you have a pretty ripped screen)

and shoot the screen then a yellow point must appear at the target

press 'E' to clear screen '*' to quit

bug is fixed and run with classical screen 320*200

I have tested with trojan but can't test for the moment with actionware phaser
Attached Files
File Type: lha Trojan_Actionware-test.lha (11.4 KB, 251 views)
Old 21 December 2005, 15:32   #24
damon_sisk
Zone Friend

I used the new program. The lower eighth of the screen was blue and I could not shoot in that area. The shot dots were much smaller than before. The shots were still sometimes off to the right by about 15 to 30 pixels.
Old 21 December 2005, 15:35   #25
CFou!

Quote:
I used the new program. The lower eighth of the screen was blue and I could not shoot in that area. The shot dots were much smaller than before. The shots were still sometimes off to the right by about 15 to 30 pixels.
thanks for your test

This problem must not appear with westphaser

can you test the new whdload's patch for loriciel's westphaser game?

custom1=1 tooltype is needed

no problem with my trojan's phaser now

can you try with your actionware adaptator?
Attached Files
File Type: lha WestPhaser.lha (41.0 KB, 217 views)
Old 21 December 2005, 21:47   #26
CFou!

Quote:
I will post a complete circuit on my web site as soon as I create the design and site...
But for now, the conversion from the trojan gun to work with actionware games is easy enough. The pin conversion should be as follows:

To Amiga Joystick port 2: To Trojan Light Gun:
Trigger 5 -------------- 3 (Joystick Left)
HitSense 6 -------------- 6 (Joystick Fire Button)
+5 7 -------------- 7 +5
Gnd 8 -------------- 8 Gnd
I have try to do this adaptor

but I have no result

have you an idea about this?

If I have understood it only pins 3,6,7,8 are used buy trojan phaser and 5,6,7,8 for amiga port

but my phaser trojan use 6 pins:
3,4,5,6,7,8 ?!?!!?

so how must i connect trojan's pins 4 & 5?
Old 22 December 2005, 03:57   #27
damon_sisk
Zone Friend

Do you have a multimeter? If so, I need you to do a continuity test with it and the Trojan phaser. Pin 7 is +5 and pin 8 is ground. Connect one lead from the meter to pin 8 (ground) and hold down the trigger button on the phaser. Then, connect the other lead to pin 4 and check for continuity. After that, check pin 5 for continuity to ground.
Next, turn on a Trojan game with the phaser plugged in. When the game is on, disconnect the phaser and check the voltage between ground (pin 8) and pins 4 & 5 (on the Amiga). It could be that the phaser has to be activated by a high signal from one of these pins. The joystick port can output signals as well as input them. The Actionware dual gun adapter uses this to select which gun is the input gun at any particular moment.
Please tell me what you find.
Old 22 December 2005, 04:35   #28
damon_sisk
Zone Friend

I tried to use your WestPhaser patch, but I could not make it work. I think that I need to have a hard drive in my Amiga to test your patch. Is that correct?
I will try some other things tomorrow and see if I can get the patch installed to test it.
Old 22 December 2005, 21:10   #29
CFou!

Quote:
Do you have a multimeter? If so, I need you to do a continuity test with it and the Trojan phaser. Pin 7 is +5 and pin 8 is ground. Connect one lead from the meter to pin 8 (ground) and hold down the trigger button on the phaser. Then, connect the other lead to pin 4 and check for continuity. After that, check pin 5 for continuity to ground.
Next, turn on a Trojan game with the phaser plugged in. When the game is on, disconnect the phaser and check the voltage between ground (pin 8) and pins 4 & 5 (on the Amiga). It could be that the phaser has to be activated by a high signal from one of these pins. The joystick port can output signals as well as input them. The Actionware dual gun adapter uses this to select which gun is the input gun at any particular moment.
just a precision about this test I am no sure of all the pins connections:

I must connect so:
Amiga port -- Trojan gun (for actionware adaptation)
pin 5 to pin 3
pin 6 to pin 6
pin 7 to pin 7
pin 8 to pin 8
pin *** to pin 4
pin *** to pin 5
but how must i replace the both '***' please.?

Last edited by CFou!; 22 December 2005 at 21:21.
Old 22 December 2005, 23:17   #30
CFou!

Quote:
Do you have a multimeter? If so, I need you to do a continuity test with it and the Trojan phaser. Pin 7 is +5 and pin 8 is ground. Connect one lead from the meter to pin 8 (ground) and hold down the trigger button on the phaser. Then, connect the other lead to pin 4 and check for continuity. After that, check pin 5 for continuity to ground..
when i press trigger (with trojan & adaptator connected together)
8 to 5 there are continuity (so I think tiggers is good )
8 to 4 there are no continuity

Quote:
I have test it with capone actionware game

but no voltage between 8-4 and 8-5 of the amiga port (game port and not mouse port)

but with multimeter connected between 8-5 some time screen flash like if i shooted the screen with gun
Old 23 December 2005, 02:50   #31
damon_sisk
Zone Friend

Thank you for trying. There is one more test I would like you to do. Please try this:
1) turn off your amiga
1) unplug anything that is in game port (not mouse port)
2) turn on your amiga
3) load any Trojan game (such as Aliex)
4) when you get to the game, (you may have to press a mouse button if you have a cracked version), plug your Trojan phaser into the game port
5) see if the gun works

If it works (and i think it will), then please post photos of the insides of the phaser, if you don't mind taking it apart. I would like to see how many wires go to the circuit board inside the gun. I would also like to see how the wires are labeled on the circuit board. That would give me a big hint about what I am missing in my recommended convertor.
I am trying to contact someone on ebay that had a trojan phaser for sale about a week ago. If I can buy his, then I am sure I could make it work with Actionware games.
Old 23 December 2005, 03:11   #32
damon_sisk
Zone Friend

I just realized that you wanted me to use your test program with my trojan adapter AND my actionware adapter. My previous posts were the results of tests with my trojan adapter.
I tried your test program with my actionware adapter, but the program did not work with it. However, I have no problem with my actioware adapter and actionware games. I also have no problems with my trojan adapter and trojan games.
Old 23 December 2005, 08:30   #33
CFou!

Quote:
I just realized that you wanted me to use your test program with my trojan adapter AND my actionware adapter. My previous posts were the results of tests with my trojan adapter.
I tried your test program with my actionware adapter, but the program did not work with it. However, I have no problem with my actioware adapter and actionware games. I also have no problems with my trojan adapter and trojan games.
Ok, I will look again the actionware gun code...

For the moment I am finishing Crasy shot patch

run fine with trojan now but not in all subgames.... I think it's a synchro problem (emply look skipped on my cpu then gun run only if there are big items in movement on the screen)
Old 23 December 2005, 16:13   #34
CFou!

Quote:
here open trojan photo with annotations about used pins of 9 pins SUB-D of trojan's phaser

i have tested all pins and you had right only 4 pins are used
3 Trigger
6 HitSense
7 +5 V
8 Gnd
so, I don't understand why it don't work...

but perhaps 10k resistor is needed beetween +5V and Trigger light for sega.....

ps: I am just receiving SEGA 3050 phaser and will try your other adaptator
Attached Files
File Type: zip TROJAN phazer gun open CFou.zip (611.2 KB, 248 views)
Old 23 December 2005, 17:57   #35
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOU!
here open trojan photo with annotations about used pins of 9 pins SUB-D of trojan's phaser

i have tested all pins and you had right only 4 pins are used
3 Trigger
6 HitSense
7 +5 V
8 Gnd

so, I don't understand why it don't work...

but perhaps 10k resistor is needed beetween +5V and Trigger light for sega.....

ps: I am just receiving SEGA 3050 phaser and will try your other adaptator
yaooooo!!

It's working now for the trojan adaptator to actionware it's:

_____Trigger___5 ---------------------3----
_____HitSense__6 --------------------6___ || 10k pullup res.
_____+5_______7 ---------------------7----__from pin 5 to 7

There is a 10k pullup resistor from +5 to the trigger (between pins 7 and 5 on the amiga joystick port).

Indeed resistor was needed too

so I have rewritten my patches for Westphaser & Crazy shot and now this games work fine with trojan & actionware light guns

Last edited by CFou!; 24 December 2005 at 12:16.
Old 24 December 2005, 20:50   #36
damon_sisk
Zone Friend

Cool! I'm very glad it works for you. Did you use the 10k pullup resistor with the Trojan gun? It seems odd that the resistor would be required since the gun already works with Trojan games.
Or do I misunderstand, and actually the sega gun is working for you?
Old 25 December 2005, 12:58   #37
CFou!

Quote:
Cool! I'm very glad it works for you. Did you use the 10k pullup resistor with the Trojan gun? It seems odd that the resistor would be required since the gun already works with Trojan games.
Or do I misunderstand, and actually the sega gun is working for you?
I have done 2 adaptators:
- Sega 3050 to actionware (with a 10k pullup resistor)
-Trojan to actioware (with a 10k pullup resistor too beetween the same pin of the amiga port (Trigger / +5V))

now both adaptator work

have you try new patch for Westphaser and crazy shot (for trojan and actionware light guns)?

With actionware game where is plugged your phaser when you can play( mouse port or joystick port? )

What is your amiga (an a1200)?

Last edited by CFou!; 25 December 2005 at 22:47.
Old 27 December 2005, 02:03   #38
damon_sisk
Zone Friend

I have not been able to install the patches yet. I have an old A500 and I do not have a hard drive. I am not familiar with WHDLoad, so I don't know what you mean when you say 'custom1=1 tooltype'. I downloaded the Westphaser things you put in the zone, and the Westphaser.lha file above. But I don't know where the patch for Crazy Shot is located. Is it in with WHDLoad?
In the actionware games, my phaser is in the joystick port.
I will have more time to play with this after the holidays are over. Right now, family gatherings are taking much of my time...
Old 27 December 2005, 03:06   #39
CFou!

Quote:
I have not been able to install the patches yet. I have an old A500 and I do not have a hard drive. I am not familiar with WHDLoad, so I don't know what you mean when you say 'custom1=1 tooltype'. I downloaded the Westphaser things you put in the zone, and the Westphaser.lha file above. But I don't know where the patch for Crazy Shot is located. Is it in with WHDLoad?
In the actionware games, my phaser is in the joystick port.
I will have more time to play with this after the holidays are over. Right now, family gatherings are taking much of my time...

ok i understand contact me when you will more time

you will can test Aliex game already installed with trojan&actionware light gun support and which need less memory to run (just double click on the WB icon to launch if whdload is installed)
http://download.abime.net/zone/Aliex-installed.lha

Last edited by CFou!; 27 December 2005 at 03:14.
Old 31 December 2005, 16:18   #40
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Hmmm. This is interesting.

CFOU!, you're saying that your install does not work on A1000, why?

BTW, how about implementing Phazer gun support into WinUAE?
(that is, emulation would do, just so that Aliex can be played with keyboard )