English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 January 2011, 02:30   #321
Konrad

Quote:
...or map a number of keyboard buttons to joypad buttons/combinations.
That's what I've done in my arcade cab. Works that way, but I had to do that specifically for each game to meet my quality standards . I don't want to repeat that...

Quote:
except the DS *does* offer a keyboard through the second screen!
That's indeed new to me. But it doesn't have enough power to emulate the Amiga properly.

Quote:
They really should ahve kept upping the spec a bit more
The specs aren't that great anymore. But as long as the emulators are running full speed I'm happy .

The price, though...that's another story.
Old 13 January 2011, 07:25   #322
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post
Its back to 2001 again, to when people where expecting full speed SNES emu on the DC and it never came, when people asked when it should arrive they where called lamers and to shut up or code it themself. I feel similar scenario coming again to this device.
Calling them lamers is a bit harsh but the "shut up or code it yourself" comment is well deserved in 99% of cases
Old 13 January 2011, 09:27   #323
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
Perhaps there will be a revision to the PCB to include a faster CPU? The memory is certainly enough to do most tasks (although any serious multitasking might be out of the question).
Old 13 January 2011, 09:38   #324
Dunny

I've been playing with mine for a while now, and it's gorgeous. The hardware is fantastic, but the software is very much in the early stages - the Amiga emulator in particular is a pain to get working and takes as long to get to choosing a game as it does to set up WinUAE ;-)

I've run mine for a few hours at 1GHz, without problems - I don't know how far it will go, and I've not tried over-volting yet. However, none of the CPUs are guaranteed to go above 600Mhz.

The problem with the CPU spec is that they're a very small company and updating the CPU core during production would have meant more delays as the board was redesigned and old boards scrapped. For a small company they've done a marvellous job. The way I see it is this - if the CPU is too slow, what does that make the CPU in the DS or the PSP? Both platforms are still selling.

I really, really don't regret buying this.

D.
Old 13 January 2011, 09:59   #325
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
The way I see it is this - if the CPU is too slow, what does that make the CPU in the DS or the PSP? Both platforms are still selling.
It makes them old and are about to be replaced. PSP2 should be out this year and the 3DS will be out in a few months.

Plus games for the PSP and DS are developed to the hardware. A multiplatform device that emulates other multiplatform devices will always need to be that bit quicker. What is next for the device after the 16bit / 32bit gen of consoles are emulated to neat perfection? PS2, XBOX etc...

Don't get me wrong, 2 years ago I was very close to putting a pre-order on a Pandora, but I'm now holding out for the next revision.
Old 13 January 2011, 10:38   #326
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Out of date or not, it'd be nice to finally receive it since I ordered it some two years and three months ago.
Old 27 May 2011, 08:35   #327
s2325
Zone Friend

Pandora rip-off: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 May 2011, 11:01   #328
chiark
Needs a life

hardly! Not even remotely the same ambition, or even target audience!
Old 27 May 2011, 18:28   #329
pubzombie

still waiting for mine - think i am about 1900 in the que. Should arrive in June 2244 i think
Old 28 May 2011, 14:21   #330
HenryCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Pandora rip-off: [ Show youtube player ]
Looks more like a portable Famiclone to me, hardly competition for the Pandora. Pandora didn't invent the clamshell form factor for portable gaming, you do know that don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
still waiting for mine - think i am about 1900 in the que. Should arrive in June 2244 i think
How many times does this have to be explained! Simply put, there is NOT one single queue! The queue numbers given were only estimates for one store, not ALL the stores that the Pandora were sold from. If you refuse to see that multiple queues exist then you're going to mislead yourself about when to expect your Pandora.

With all that said, we were given some more information on production this week:
http://pandorapress.net/2011/05/27/e...cap/#more-6099
This is the bit you're probably most interested in:
Quote:
1. What’s the status of the first batch?

We’re just round the corner for the last 1000 PCBs of Batch 1.
While this doesn’t mean that 3000 units have been delivered (we also need to check and build the PCBs into cases, don’t forget that), more than half of the Batch 1 units have been delivered, and deliveries go on.
There wasn’t a week where no Pandoras had been delivered, we just test, build and ship out continually.
Hope this helps clarify the current production status.
Old 29 May 2011, 01:55   #331
DonAmiga

Hi, I like the concept of the pandora and have been thinking of getting one. reading in the blog above, it was saying about the option of a Premium Pandora
is this the $500 + pp? or do you have to add a premium to that price?

Cheers
Old 29 May 2011, 03:01   #332
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

premium is $500US+pp, it would be shipped in 7 days.
Old 29 May 2011, 03:13   #333
DonAmiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
premium is $500US+pp, it would be shipped in 7 days.
Cheers
Old 30 May 2011, 00:02   #334
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

They are getting there it seems, I'm one of the last 100 (I ordered mine in Oct 09 after they released 100 Pandoras through cancellations etc). Would like to see mine before my summer hols in July but no biggie if not. I've just put my hopes down and forgot a bit about it, then when it plops into my post box it will be a nice surprise
Old 30 May 2011, 00:12   #335
DonAmiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post
They are getting there it seems, I'm one of the last 100 (I ordered mine in Oct 09 after they released 100 Pandoras through cancellations etc). Would like to see mine before my summer hols in July but no biggie if not. I've just put my hopes down and forgot a bit about it, then when it plops into my post box it will be a nice surprise

Maybe you should up-grade to premium for 7 day delivery, or is it a big difference from the pre order price?
Old 30 May 2011, 00:23   #336
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCase View Post

How many times does this have to be explained! Simply put, there is NOT one single queue! The queue numbers given were only estimates for one store, not ALL the stores that the Pandora were sold from. If you refuse to see that multiple queues exist then you're going to mislead yourself about when to expect your Pandora.

With all that said, we were given some more information on production this week:
http://pandorapress.net/2011/05/27/e...cap/#more-6099
This is the bit you're probably most interested in:

Hope this helps clarify the current production status.
Spoke to them last week and they said looking at my order number I am at that place in the current que for dispatch next month. So there :-P
Old 30 May 2011, 00:51   #337
HenryCase

Quote:
Spoke to them last week and they said looking at my order number I am at that place in the current que for dispatch next month. So there :-P
*facepalm*
Look at the blog I linked to, EvilDragon stated that over half of the first batch have been shipped out. First batch is 4000, meaning >2000 of the first batch have been shipped out (this number doesn't include premium Pandoras). How do you think you've got queue position 1900 again?

Who did you buy from, GBAX? That's just one of the stores that pre-orders were available from. GP2x.de is another. Pre-orders are split across multiple stores, and the queue position you were given does not reflect that. It's already been stated multiple times that the queue position is just an estimate, if you want to believe otherwise, be my guest.

P.S. Do hope you enjoy your Pandora when it arrives. I pre-ordered in the first batch but had to cancel when I needed the money. Most people who've got theirs seem to say it was worth waiting for, hope you feel the same.

Last edited by HenryCase; 30 May 2011 at 00:59.
Old 30 May 2011, 01:39   #338
pubzombie

The wife ordered it first for me as a gift, what feels like years ago, then the order got cancelled in the banking hicup that occurred
had to reorder and got kicked to the next batch as I was made redundant an we had no money for a while
Can't wait for it to turn up. I still use my GP2x all the time and its been all over the world with me. Ordered the panny from Craig and the guys at gp2x. Sorry u had to cancel, hopefully they will do well and prices will drop
Old 30 May 2011, 01:59   #339
HenryCase

Quote:
Sorry u had to cancel, hopefully they will do well and prices will drop
Cheers man.

What would you say were your favourite GP2X software releases? Did you try UAE on it? What was it like?
Old 30 May 2011, 06:34   #340
tomcat666
Retro Freak

It just somehow feels like one ordered a ZX Spectrum and had to wait until the Amigas were out to get it delivered... the timespan is about right ;-)