English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 June 2016, 20:47   #1
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Amiga A1200 keeps crashing as its booting Workbench with my 9 mb in..?

I have just installed another 8 chips into my Alfa Ram board so I have 9mb in the A1200 but when I try and load Workbench it get to where it says the version of the workbench and the power light flashes then crashes with the red error box,why..??
Tiny launcher and Xbench works fine, even cd200 works via cd32 sim.I have turn off PCMCIA as well,,Workbench works fine on 4mb setting..??

I thought I post this here too,got no answers under Class Workbench.
Old 03 June 2016, 21:43   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
I have just installed another 8 chips into my Alfa Ram board so I have 9mb in the A1200 but when I try and load Workbench it get to where it says the version of the workbench and the power light flashes then crashes with the red error box,why..??
Tiny launcher and Xbench works fine, even cd200 works via cd32 sim.I have turn off PCMCIA as well,,Workbench works fine on 4mb setting..??

I thought I post this here too,got no answers under Class Workbench.
Have you tried booting with no startup-sequence from the boot menu?
Old 04 June 2016, 12:06   #3
spannernick
Retro Nuts

This card is crap,if I move it or do anything with it goes stupid,stops working,I get a black screen or card is defective,I have to move the card up so its flat but now when I put my keyboard back I have to raise it so it not touch the card otherwise it's goes stupid again.

Is this normal,If I have 9mb on the card and use RAD to play a WHDLoad game like a AGA game it say not enough memory available..??

Last edited by spannernick; 04 June 2016 at 20:06.
Old 04 June 2016, 12:29   #4
thomas

On A1200 RAD goes into Chip memory. Fast RAM on the A1200 disappears during reset and therefore cannot be used for reset-proof software. A1200 is bad by design.
Old 04 June 2016, 13:01   #5
idrougge

How does ROM remapping work in that case?
Old 04 June 2016, 13:28   #6
Daedalus

It all depends on the design of the expansion card. The A1200 by itself doesn't support it, but it should work with any autoconfig-aware card, e.g. many accelerators. Sadly this means most RAM-only cards are out.

Sounds like it's shorting out too easily and/or suffering from loose connectors. Do you still have the upper RF shielding in place? It might be worth removing it or otherwise making sure it can't touch the rear of the board.
Old 04 June 2016, 14:32   #7
fgh

You don't have anything in the pcmcia port, do you?
Also there are ram size and ram test jumpers, did you check their position?
Old 04 June 2016, 20:18   #8
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Yes it boots on minimum startup...weird,Yup I think it shorting out too but not sure where,the memory chips are lose as well,like its had chips in it before ,I have had trouble with this ever since I got it in 2012.Wish I could afford a newer one. I would never get another one bad design.

Its this thing.. http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/alfaram1200

I would say..If someone is selling one of these cards DO NOT BUY,if they giving it away then take it but DO NOT USE IT.This card I wound NOT recommend to a friend,even if i had a friend..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alfaram1200.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	48742   Click image for larger version

Name:	alfaram1200-back.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	48743  

Last edited by spannernick; 04 June 2016 at 20:33.
Old 05 June 2016, 03:16   #9
Steve T

sockets and pins might have debris or some non-conductive layer built up on them, they shouldn't be loose either. make sure the edge connector and pins are all clean too... I guess thats not your actual card but the example pic looks a bit corroded!
Old 05 June 2016, 15:54   #10
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Another problem with this A1200 I have is it don't boot the HD CF from first turn on,I have to reset it then it boots it,there is a pin missing on the IDE connector,its pin 1.what is pin 1 for..?

Think its time I learnt how to read a schematic..

You can download them from my dropbox if you want any..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iz1o3lgb8...3plA5dKya?dl=0

Last edited by spannernick; 05 June 2016 at 16:15.
Old 05 June 2016, 19:40   #11
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I have had it with this A1200 it fu@ked,put in the wardrobe,going to use the cf card on Amiga Forever as a HD image.Thanks for all the reply.still have my A600..
Old 06 June 2016, 12:05   #12
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Just was thinking, could the memory I got from Ebay be faulty,The memory looks like its been used and some of the pins were bent..?
Old 06 June 2016, 12:41   #13
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
Just was thinking, could the memory I got from Ebay be faulty,The memory looks like its been used and some of the pins were bent..?
I'm sure that full ESD precautions were followed at all times,old memory from Ebay definitely wouldn't be used, dropped on the carpet, hoovered up and salvaged from the bin or anything....
Old 06 June 2016, 14:00   #14
Daedalus

Removing pin 1 was a common mode years ago for using Amigas with slow hard drives. It's the reset pin which isn't really needed for hard drives, and in cases where the drive was slow to spin up, losing the reset signal meant it would show up quicker instead of having to double reset every time you turned on the computer. Kickstart 3.1 solved this issue by introducing a much longer delay. In your case however, it could be having the opposite effect - not telling the CF card to be ready and so it needs an extra reset to be woken up for the boot sequence. The pin can be replaced easily enough, but why someone did that instead of removing it on the cable (a reversible procedure), I don't know...

Anyway, I'm sure the board can be rescued if you wanted, or if you didn't want, I'm sure someone else would like to repair it for themselves...
Old 06 June 2016, 20:18   #15
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Removing pin 1 was a common mode years ago for using Amigas with slow hard drives. It's the reset pin which isn't really needed for hard drives, and in cases where the drive was slow to spin up, losing the reset signal meant it would show up quicker instead of having to double reset every time you turned on the computer. Kickstart 3.1 solved this issue by introducing a much longer delay. In your case however, it could be having the opposite effect - not telling the CF card to be ready and so it needs an extra reset to be woken up for the boot sequence. The pin can be replaced easily enough, but why someone did that instead of removing it on the cable (a reversible procedure), I don't know...

Anyway, I'm sure the board can be rescued if you wanted, or if you didn't want, I'm sure someone else would like to repair it for themselves...
Yes I think your right,I did have my normal hard drive in this,now its in my A600,it booted every time I started the A1200. Only happens with the CF and I have 2 CF adapters and its the same on both of them,have to reset it for it to boot from it.well I have had her from the 90s.

Its have the money to repair it too,I don't have it at the moment.Don't want to get rid of her just yet...

Pin 1 was there,years ago it broke off when I push the cable in,was not looking properly,it was a accident.but did put a wire there so it would touch the pin but didn't make a difference.

Last edited by spannernick; 06 June 2016 at 20:25.