- framework for showing linenumbers
- rectangular selections
- C syntax highlighter
- assembler syntax highlighter
- installer syntax highlighter
- amigaguide syntax highlighter
- multi document tabbed interface in TextEdit
- an ARexx port

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so if this has been suggested, my apologies.

Instead of having different syntax highlighters hard coded, make it so the end user can create syntax highlighting. This way Amos, Blitz, C++ etc can all have syntax highlighting created.
Old 12 April 2020, 01:03   #202
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiser3 View Post
I see file extensions have been brought up in this thread. The system should ignore them. While they are part of the file name and can convey information to the user the system should use the file header to identify file type.

For example, all jpeg files contain the string "JFIF" and gif files contain "GIF87a" or "GIF89a" near the beginning of the file. File headers are the only reliable way to determine file type. Change a files file extension in Windows and it will no longer be able to identify it. Change a files file extension on an Amiga and it will still recognize the proper file type.
This is IO intensive and slowest part of the system, better would be to recategorize types in scheduled( requires an OS scheduler) in system/IO idle time.

Speaking of which, OS scheduler for scripts like crontab?
Old 12 April 2020, 03:05   #203
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
I haven't read the whole thread yet, so if this has been suggested, my apologies.

Instead of having different syntax highlighters hard coded, make it so the end user can create syntax highlighting. This way Amos, Blitz, C++ etc can all have syntax highlighting created.

That's actually in there, to eventually have a data-driven syntax highlighting model. But it's not for 3.2, and maybe not for 3.3 either.
Old 12 April 2020, 18:08   #204
kamelito
Zone Friend

Since reaction is coming how about an updated and enhanced Toolmaker to design Reaction GUI?
Protect RAD drives using MMU if présent.
Old 14 April 2020, 00:39   #205
loonsta

I'm sure it's too late, but wondering if you are in need of any more beta testers?

My Hardware:
  • A1200 OS 3.1.4
  • 128GB PATA SSD
  • Phase 5 BPPC with 060 and BVision card
  • Indivision AGA
  • FastATA IV
  • Flash Floppy instead of physical floppy drive

I was a betat tester for Directory Opus on PC, and have a long history of using cutting edge software (ie. new stuff in beta phases).
Old 14 April 2020, 09:47   #206
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Since reaction is coming how about an updated and enhanced Toolmaker to design Reaction GUI?
Protect RAD drives using MMU if présent.
That's not a job for people working on the OS, though, imo..
Old 14 April 2020, 10:53   #207
gulliver
BoingBagged

Hi,

For all those who wish to participate on the AmigaOS (68k) project as a beta tester, developer, or can help in a lot of Norsk and Dutch translations, please contact me by PM or at my email, available in my user profile.

Thanks
Old 14 April 2020, 12:02   #208
joeled

@Gulliver
PM sent
Old 14 April 2020, 12:24   #209
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
That's not a job for people working on the OS, though, imo..
It was a CBM product developed by a guy I forgot the name, not sure if they still have the source code and rights.
Old 14 April 2020, 12:42   #210
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
It was a CBM product developed by a guy I forgot the name, not sure if they still have the source code and rights.
The developer's name was Michael Erwin and "ToolMaker" was in development during 1991-1992 until it seems to have ground to a halt. Archival copies of the source code for "ToolMaker" exist, but it's hard to tell which state of development the application is in. The most up to date version seems to go back to July 1992.

Back when the "ToolMaker" was in development hints were dropped regularly that there was something coming to help in building applications and their user interfaces (InterfaceBuilder on NeXTstep being the inspiration), but those hints eventually stopped.

At this time more research into what the most recent source code can do would be needed. There must be a reason why the project came to a halt years before Commodore eventually went out of business.
Old 14 April 2020, 14:22   #211
gulliver
BoingBagged

I tried Toolmaker and it runs under AmigaOS 3.2.

I was able to open a window and make the program generate its C code.
Seems to have quite some functionality built-in.

http://imgur.com/83kqhxS

http://imgur.com/Jbkuk5Q
Old 14 April 2020, 15:00   #212
E-Penguin
Banana

Anything to make it easier for people to develop new software has to be welcomed.
Old 14 April 2020, 15:14   #213
kamelito
Zone Friend

If it works it is a first step in the right direction.
To add fuel to my previous wishes, here a excerpt of the CD32 dev docs :

"Writing OS-friendly games benefits you, the developer, and the gamers who buy your games. It
ensures the viability of your code on all Amiga platforms, not just the one you used for development.
By allowing the OS to do the mundane details of opening screens and windows, you give yourself
more time to do the creative portions of your game. It does not matter how fast your game is if the
gameplay is lousy and the artwork looks amateurish.
An OS-friendly game is no longer something to be avoided. We’ve provided ample tools in the OS to
support your gaming needs, and we will continue to do so. To get you started, the examples on the
folowing pages show you how to set up your own View and ViewPort in both C and assembly
language. The sooner you write OS-friendly games, the sooner you’ll be prepared for the future."

"Writing
OS-Friendly
Games 33
Many Amiga programmers believe that the only way to write a whiz-bang, speed-of-light game is to
bypass the operating system and go straight to the hardware. A better approach is to write games that
are OS-friendly. The combination of the AA chipset and the latest V40 system software make
system-friendly solutions more possible than ever.
Why Use the Operating System?
Here are some reasons to use the OS for games:
? OS code runs out of ROM, which is faster than running equivalent code out of Chip RAM.
? Why reinvent the wheel? Spend your time doing things that only you can do.
? The OS automatically supports pre-ECS, ECS, and AA (and will support the next revision
of the Amiga chip set).
? There is less code to write. The OS has routines for handling all screen positions and
scrolls, mouse movement, etc. This means less development time and less time getting the
hardware to work, and more time making the game more playable.
? More robustness. For instance, the OS floppy disk code is far less picky about drive
parameters than 99% of custom floppy I/O code.
? Hides bugs and quirks of the chip set. The AA chip set has a few bugs which the OS hides
from you.
? Multiple platforms. OS code will run on all Amiga-based machines, whatever their flavor.
? Compatibility with future chipsets. The next revision of the Amiga chip set will not be
register-level compatible with AA.
Things the System Cannot Do
A long-term goal of the Amiga operating system is to support the common display tricks often used in
games. There are some things that can’t be done though:
? Scrolling individual scan lines of a ViewPort
? Using a copper list to fade a AA color register
? Dynamic updating of user copper lists.

All these are planned to be addressed in future OS releases. The goal is to allow these and other types
of operations within normal Intuition screens if possible."

Implement also what CBM planned for the future described in the 1993 Devcon.

Last edited by kamelito; 14 April 2020 at 18:33.
Old 14 April 2020, 19:48   #214
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Did you know that we got a lot of cooperation from the OS4 guys?

[..snip..]

Also the on-going development of AmigaOS 3.2 contains much more fruits
of this partnership. And ReAction is just the tip of the iceberg.

United we are all stronger! :-)

That is fantastic. I don't go through Web pages, after Web pages as I know a lot of others do. I am glad to learn about the continued involvement with OS 4 developers. I have zero interest in the "flame wars". I agree, United is better. Bickering isn't solutions focused. Sure, notice the "Blllechh.." but then, don't harp on it..fix it if possible. When someone keeps focused on the negative, the mind then won't notice what can help...until a person chooses to refocus.

I'm using OS 3.1.4.1 kicked at times, still, it's pretty cool. I'm excited about 3.2. I'm still getting a big kick (joy) from the Intuition Workbench off screen ability.

I'm curious about CyberVisionPPC support. Since OS 4 team is still in contact, has that been any help in the direction of 3.2...and P96?
Old 14 April 2020, 23:02   #215
Docent

Quote:
I tried Toolmaker and it runs under AmigaOS 3.2.

I was able to open a window and make the program generate its C code.
Seems to have quite some functionality built-in.
For ui I used GadtoolsBox 3 (its on Aminet) - it was pretty advanced modular ui designer and code generator. I believe it could be quite easily expanded to cover reaction gadgets. There is source code available and I can ask the original developer if he would like to improve it.
Old 14 April 2020, 23:03   #216
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Not to keep this off-topic topic going, but aren't all of the ReAction code generators spew what is no longer idiomatic code? I know that's why the advice for OS4.x development is "don't use them", and I expect that ReAction in 3.2 is going to have more in common with its 4.x branch than how it was in 3.9.

We definitely could use some RAD tools for ReAction, but resurrecting the long-dead ones currently out there is probably not the best way to get them.
Old 15 April 2020, 03:11   #217
loonsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Hi,

For all those who wish to participate on the AmigaOS (68k) project as a beta tester, developer, or can help in a lot of Norsk and Dutch translations, please contact me by PM or at my email, available in my user profile.

Thanks

PM Sent, hopefully I can be a useful resource
Old 15 April 2020, 03:27   #218
quantum8

It's probably not achievable for a 3.2 release, and pretty minor, but I'd like to see operations continue if you move or resize a window.

For example, running a script or copying large about of files in the CLI and moving/resizing the window seems to halt the operation.
Old 15 April 2020, 04:49   #219
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@coldacid:

Unfortunately we don't have source code for ReActor so it would have to be rewritten from scratch before we could make improvements to it.

Programs built with ReActor will run on OS3.2, as long as resource.library is installed.
Old 15 April 2020, 09:25   #220
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post

Yes, this is camilla´s Plan as far as I understood in the Dev-Mailinglist. Users can supply Syntax-highlighting on aminet for example.