English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 20 May 2011, 15:23   #21
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
(Cheers Seuden)

Ok guys, last update for today! Hope its been useful

All installed and running, first impression is that its much more of a complete OS than OS4, runs quicker and feels nicer to navigate.

I'm yet to test out the new apps and such, that will come later. I simply installed a Warp3D game (Wipeout2097) and it works great and I had a little look around the OS.

I'm off to download the app's suggested in the manual and will have a play with those like Mame

Oh and I need to get her online, hopefully OS4.1 picks up my PCI NIC - I'm sure it will since its a Realtek 8139 which is supported.

Ok, the pics!

Installation going much smoother this time! PPC is nice and cool with the ABIT SLI cooler aka BPPC OS4.1 Install Cool(tm) lol

Also on the new CF no errors during install which is great!

Booting for the first time

Welcome screen to setup Sound/Internet/etc

Screen modes for my Voodoo 3/Monitor were all setup automatically which is a nice touch. Running at at 1280x720x24 looks slick and runs nice.

Hopefully I can stick the FastATA back in and set that up so it works with CDROM support, but will have a play as it for now. First thing to do is backup the install so I don't have to go through all that again lol

Steve.
Old 20 May 2011, 17:26   #22
DarrenHD

Steve, glad you got it up and running. We did spend quite a bit of time making the Installation much nicer. The old machines can be a bit picky, but your end result looks great thanks for the pix!
Old 20 May 2011, 17:31   #23
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
Steve, glad you got it up and running. We did spend quite a bit of time making the Installation much nicer. The old machines can be a bit picky, but your end result looks great thanks for the pix!

My pleasure mate and thanks for your work, I can tell a lot has gone into it. Much more polished than OS4. This actually feels like a finished product whereas OS4, well I used it once and never again.

I did have a go setting it up on my A1200D as well, but didn't have a reliable enough CF to do the install. But I did get it to boot from CD which was pretty cool. It took a few CTRL-A-A's to get her to go. I think like anything else you just need a few goes to get the hang of it

Since you like pics here some more lol:

Of course its only in AGA until after the install as it dosen't pick up the BVision like the installer does with the Voodoo 3. I just stole the CF card from my A600 so I might have another go this evening...

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 20 May 2011 at 17:36. Reason: update
Old 20 May 2011, 17:40   #24
DarrenHD

Awesome pix Looks like you've got a BVision gfx card in that machine...try out the warp 3D it should work also out-of-the-box
Old 20 May 2011, 17:42   #25
DarrenHD

If you're running the very latest flashrom for the blizzard ppc it won't pick up the bVision during the install, but you should be able to set it up after OS4.1 is installed.

There is info on that in the FAQ in the root of the CD.
Old 20 May 2011, 17:43   #26
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Awesome pix Looks like you've got a BVision gfx card in that machine...try out the warp 3D it should work also out-of-the-box
Yep I has BVison

Of course, I'll be trying everything out

This one only has a modest 240mhz PPC ulike the 330mhz in the Tower but I think it will be fine...

Steve.

Quote:
If you're running the very latest flashrom for the blizzard ppc it won't pick up the bVision, but you should be able to set it up after install.

There is info on that in the FAQ in the root of the CD.

Thanks for the info, I've not flashed this BPPC so I don't think it has the latest firmware but nice to have that info - cheers
Old 20 May 2011, 19:43   #27
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Just a small update, OS4.1 installed fine on my Desktop as well. BVision is working as well

Old 20 May 2011, 20:07   #28
DarrenHD

Very nice. Next up try warp3D on the BVision :-)
Old 20 May 2011, 20:34   #29
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Very nice. Next up try warp3D on the BVision :-)
Thanks

Just tested Wipeout2097 and the Menu's and game Graphics are really glitchy, no Sky or Crafts in game and no Menu text

I guess that Beta driver still needs some work...
Old 20 May 2011, 21:03   #30
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Thanks

Just tested Wipeout2097 and the Menu's and game Graphics are really glitchy, no Sky or Crafts in game and no Menu text

I guess that Beta driver still needs some work...
Can you post a screen shot of it? It should work OK....

There is at least one environment variable to set to make the exhaust work properly in wipeout 2097 - check the Documentation directory there is some beta release notes on the warp3D driver for BVision/CVision PPC.
Old 20 May 2011, 21:26   #31
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Can you post a screen shot of it? It should work OK....

There is at least one environment variable to set to make the exhaust work properly in wipeout 2097 - check the Documentation directory there is some beta release notes on the warp3D driver for BVision/CVision PPC.
Sure thing, I can't right now though as I've set the Tower back up.

I put the FastATA back in and it boots ok (as long as I disconnect the DVDRW) so I guess that explains why I couldn't install via the FastATA.

Going to be fun and games working that out since ATA3 prefs cannot see the FastATA

But at least I can boot OS4.1 and swap out CF's for my other installs and my OS3.9 install on the BPPC SCSI is working still so its all lookin' good

I'm away for the weekend but if I get time before I leave I'll setup the Desktop and get the screen shots for you.

Thanks again for the advice, etc. I'll have a good read of the docs

Steve.
Old 20 May 2011, 21:54   #32
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Sure thing, I can't right now though as I've set the Tower back up.

I put the FastATA back in and it boots ok (as long as I disconnect the DVDRW) so I guess that explains why I couldn't install via the FastATA.

Going to be fun and games working that out since ATA3 prefs cannot see the FastATA

But at least I can boot OS4.1 and swap out CF's for my other installs and my OS3.9 install on the BPPC SCSI is working still so its all lookin' good

I'm away for the weekend but if I get time before I leave I'll setup the Desktop and get the screen shots for you.

Thanks again for the advice, etc. I'll have a good read of the docs

Steve.
There is a fastATA prefs in sysrefs.... check that out....doesn't work on my machine since it's an A4000 though

have a great weekend!
Old 21 May 2011, 19:12   #33
Specksynder

Great work (As always ) my friend
Old 21 May 2011, 21:03   #34
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Great installation progerss Steve! Nice to see it does work eventually, I gave up with OS 4.0, its just constantly resetting after a "perfect" install. Tried my 320GB and the trusty old 80GB drives with no luck. It seems to be the boot loader that's not working.

Anyway, no biggie as I plan to buy OS 4.1 at the end of the month, I really hope it isn't sold out by then!
Old 31 May 2011, 00:37   #35
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Well... around 8 months ago I ordered my ACA to Amigakit that got lost by the mail service, and today Royal Mail has returned the money, so... OS4.1 ordered right now

EDIT: Well, to leave it clear it was pre-ordered around 7 months back, and the fault was enterely due to the Spanish mail service (I think more precisely the spanish postman guy). As I haven't say anything about Amigakit I will say that they have been very kind in all this time and that they don't have any responsibility in all this.

REEDIT: Well, now I have some credit there waiting for Jens to finish our Indivision...., although by now I don't know if they have changed their priorities to Chameleons, Clone's A or what....

Last edited by Retrofan; 31 May 2011 at 01:19.
Old 31 May 2011, 12:02   #36
RMK

Although I don't have a PPC it is nice to see development continue for the classic.

Steve, post a link to your youtube video of 4.1 on your classic when you've made it please
Old 31 May 2011, 12:23   #37
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
Although I don't have a PPC it is nice to see development continue for the classic.

Steve, post a link to your youtube video of 4.1 on your classic when you've made it please
Hi Mate,

OS4.1 has given me a huge head ache to be honest, my installations stop booting after a few days, CF's and HDD's I tried start complaining of bad blocks and then it ceases to boot. The CF's I was using are known good CF's and working fine in other setups.

So I went with an ATA HDD and hoped that would help, but nope - same issues.

I've had a fresh nightmare now with Graphics Cards not working anymore when the were before (still working on OS3.9) so I've given up for the time being and put the A1200 away before I throw it out the window.

I have another Radeon 9200 256mb on the way from Hong Kong (the last £££ I throwing at this project) if I get it running reliable on that I'll post a Video if not it all goes in the trash

(Only kidding about the trash - I wouldn't bin an Amiga)

Some good news, well I have had it running nice on my Voodoo 5 and then for a day with Radeon 9250, its much better and more polished than OS4, thats for sure. The GUI is very nice and I like the 3D effects.

Web browsing although a little slow was much better than I had experienced on OS3.9 but I've since been told OWB is available on 68k so I might have to give that a shot under OS3.9 to compare.

I'm pretty impressed by the WarpOS Emulation, WarpOS apps from OS3.9 are working such as ADoomWOS which runs faster than the OS4.1 port although not in OpenGL.

However I must say I find most of the OS4.1 ports a little disapointing, GLQuake is very slow as the OpenGL does not seem to be doing any of the work, the PPC is pushing the same FPS you get under Software Rendering.

Mame is a joke, 6fps I got from Solomans Key which is a simple game. Don't even bother with early CPS1, etc. The 060 version is better, I remember Solomans Key being playable on that.

It looks like some games like HeretticII will need new a patch or new installer to work with OS4.1 Classic as it would not install not would it run from my OS3.9 partition.

Anyway to sum up, its definately a step forward but don't expect it to be an OS you could use on a daily basis, another hobbyist OS I would say.

I don't regret buying it though, I think its great we still have support for these systems in 2011 and it can only get better if we buy it and give our feedback, also if you're reading thanks for the help and advice from the guys over at Amibay

Steve.

Oh, almost forgot - here are some more screen shots I took:

Last edited by fitzsteve; 31 May 2011 at 12:29.
Old 31 May 2011, 19:06   #38
RMK

The pics look good Steve. I feel for you with the issues you're having. I've had problems when installing new hardware.

I'm impressed with how the browser looks. Going to try OWB 68K on my A4000 when I get a cable run upstairs so I can wire it up through the Deneb.
Old 31 May 2011, 19:47   #39
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
The pics look good Steve. I feel for you with the issues you're having. I've had problems when installing new hardware.

I'm impressed with how the browser looks. Going to try OWB 68K on my A4000 when I get a cable run upstairs so I can wire it up through the Deneb.
Hey mate,

Thanks for the kind words

Got some good news, I solved the booting issues

Oh and its funny as well, because its something so simple!

I'd introduced a second optical drive for OS3.9 to use as part of my multiboot setup, with this connected to the secondary IDE OS4.1 wont boot, the reasson I was getting confused and thinking the issue was with the Voodoo 3 or Radeon plugged in was because it was booting from the Voodoo 5.

Guess why? Becuase I was borrowing the Molex out of the secondary optical drive to power the Voodoo 5

So now I can test some more, oh and I think I have a suitable sound card, my Teratec has ESS chipset

Good times.

Steve
Old 01 June 2011, 16:13   #40
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Here is the first of two Video's I've made today of OS4.1 running on my A1200T, this is the one with the 330mhz PPC and its got a Radeon 9250 128mb in it (Borrowed from AmigaFun @Amibay)

[ Show youtube player ]

This is the 'Games' Video, I test out the OS4 Port of Duke Nukem 3D which for some reason only runs in AGA mode...

I test a few versions of Quake here, first is the normal WarpOS port from OS3.9 which as you can see although in AGA runs very fast indeed. Then I fire up GLQuake for OS4 which you can see runs a little slow, to compare I run again QuakeWOS in 640x480 (software rendering)

Also tesing DoomWOS vs PRDoomGL for OS4 and a quick look at Wipeout2097 which has some glitches on the Radeon (square shadows) This looks ok on my Voodoo 3 though.

Enjoy!

ps, Sorry for the slow loading speeds, my Fast EIDE and BlizPPC SCSI are not supported so we're on the native IDE!

UPDATE!!!

And here is the second!

[ Show youtube player ]

I open, close and move a lot of Windows around so you can get to see the 3D Effects (Hardware Accel'd) in the OS and a quick demo of OWB the new browser.

You can also get a feel for the responsivness if the OS, it feels pretty slick to use, its still not a particually fast Web Browsing experience though however the pages are drawn correctly under OWB.

Anyway - hope you enjoy the Vids

Last edited by fitzsteve; 01 June 2011 at 16:27.