English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 14 February 2018, 15:00   #1
Tolls

Amiga VR

Long shot, but here goes.

I remember playing an Amiga VR game in London years ago (92?) which looked like the one below. It was set up in the space which is now the Apple Shop in Covent Garden, although I have no idea what the shop was back then? Does anyone have any idea what this was or why it was there, it’s bugging me...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.51...7i13312!8i6656
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	56797  
Old 14 February 2018, 15:11   #2
Gorf

With the Power of the A3000!

There was a big VR hype back than. "The next big thing", that did not materialize as we all know. It was all based on vector graphics and while quite impressive it was too low-res and too slow and the gear too heavy und of course way too expensive.

here-is-what-virtual-reality-looked-like-in-1992-on-an-amiga-3000

forums.oculusvr-the-amiga-3000-a-vr-pioneer

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 February 2018, 18:46   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

Go to the Retro Computer Museum in Leicester, they have about 6 or 7 of them, both the stand up type and the sit down type! I think they used an A2000 or similar to run the VR along with dedicated graphics cards!
Old 14 February 2018, 22:24   #4
eXeler0

Now.. if we can find the software they were running and add OculusRift support to WinUAE ;-)
Old 14 February 2018, 22:54   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Now.. if we can find the software they were running and add OculusRift support to WinUAE ;-)
Bastich was trying to get a hold of some of the software:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...77#post1159777
Old 15 February 2018, 00:27   #6
BarryB
Amigaholic

One of the chaps at the RCM has the software for one of the games, maybe some other games too, he's also quite knowledgeable about these particular VR units and showed me some of pics of one stripped down and some repairs he's done. He even jetted off to Spain I think to rescue 4 from some amusement park or something and had them flown back to England, he's also bought lots of spares from scrap units and other parts to repair them, quite a feat really to keep these running!
Old 15 February 2018, 12:16   #7
Bastich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Bastich was trying to get a hold of some of the software:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...77#post1159777
Unfortunately the units went before I got chance to try and image them
Old 16 April 2018, 01:06   #8
simon_m74

I now have those machines - that were on Bastich`s thread - Thanks for the donation to my VR collection!

They are called `Elysium` - very cool, but require a VR spec`d (old school not up-to-date VR spec) PC to run with them.
Basically, the Elysium is just a VR interface for the VR PC system. They do not contain any HDD within - just the interface hardware.

Also - so you know... BarryB mentioned about a guy at RCM who has games and stuff...
Thats me!

And the photo at the top of the thread - my friend Ravi having a go on one of my VR machines.

Last edited by simon_m74; 16 April 2018 at 01:08. Reason: additional text :)
Old 07 May 2018, 21:01   #9
knightbeat

A slightly off-topic question, but does anyone have experience with the ESCOM/Virtual i-O i-Glasses? The Amiga press promoted the fact that Gloom Deluxe and the Nemac IV Director's Cut CD supported the device. I gather from a 1995 usenet post by Dr. Peter Kittel that it used composite to output the Amiga's display to the headset, but nothing had been written to handle the headset's output (to the serial interface?) which would be needed for head tracking. Had this changed by the time that Gloom Deluxe and Nemac IV were released? Does the i-Glass mode on these games offer additional functionality?

Disclaimer: I notice i-Glasses support for WinUAE was mentioned 5 years ago, where it was considered too much work in comparison to any benefit.
Old 08 May 2018, 21:41   #10
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_m74 View Post
I now have those machines - that were on Bastich`s thread - Thanks for the donation to my VR collection!

They are called `Elysium` - very cool, but require a VR spec`d (old school not up-to-date VR spec) PC to run with them.
Basically, the Elysium is just a VR interface for the VR PC system. They do not contain any HDD within - just the interface hardware.

Also - so you know... BarryB mentioned about a guy at RCM who has games and stuff...
Thats me!

And the photo at the top of the thread - my friend Ravi having a go on one of my VR machines.

Nice to see you here, sorry I didn't remember your name Hope I got most of what I remembered correct!!