English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 15 April 2006, 03:31   #1
Frog

Big grin Another World Revival

Revival of Another World ; Eric Chahi goes well. Very well even, since it has just opened a site dedicated to Another World through which one will be able to buy for the moderate amount of 5€ a republication of his play on PC! A playable demonstration will be available soon.

But the site comprises also many of other things, like the génèse of the play with technical explanations to the support: one sees there even the model of Ferrari which was used for to create the intro play, as well as the software which was used to program the play!

A mine of information coming straight of the creator even from the play... Even largest fans of the software did not expect as much of it!

Return on the official site of Another World to know some of advantage.

EDIT: The paying version will cost you in fact 7€, and is available on the site of Magic Productions

source : InsertDisk2 - news 2006-04-13 TJMK

Old 15 April 2006, 09:38   #2
Exoskeletor

this mean that we will see new levels or the same game?
Old 15 April 2006, 11:29   #3
DamienD
Banned

Excellent news

Edit: Just downloaded the 23Mb demo...

Last edited by DamienD; 15 April 2006 at 14:10.
Old 15 April 2006, 20:19   #4
DamienD
Banned

Tried the demo... Here's what is the displayed in the Readme after installation:

Originally released in 1991 Another World, dubbed 'Out of This World' in the U.S.A, soon became considered a classic. The 2D vector graphics sparked the imagination of a generation of young gamers and still holds a special place in many players' hearts.

The choice to use vector graphics, considered very stylistic and avant-garde at the time, has proven its worth in this re-issue. The original animations have been recalculated into a higher resolution and then bundled together with new enhanced backgrounds to further the original experience

It is important for historical reasons to preserve the initial low-resolution 16-colour version, but you will also be free to explore and compare the new graphical variations and add-ons.

It's up to you to live anew or relive in its original form, this tragic adventure in a world so distant from our own.

The demo is only the first level, the new enhanced backgrounds look cool. Since it's only 7€, I have now purchased this and will be emailed the file "Key.txt" that you need to copy to the folder where Another World is located....
Old 16 April 2006, 00:01   #5
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
tried this looks awesome still as hard as it ever was too

here is a direct link took me a while to find it seen as i can't read french! http://www.magic-productions.fr/aw/AnotherWorld.exe
apart from telecharger
Old 16 April 2006, 01:06   #6
Raislin77it
Zone Friend

another world

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
tried this looks awesome still as hard as it ever was too

here is a direct link took me a while to find it seen as i can't read french! http://www.magic-productions.fr/aw/AnotherWorld.exe
apart from telecharger
it's a good conversion, only 7 euro :P
maybe the author can port it to mos or aos3 with sdl, will be a must
Old 16 April 2006, 08:05   #7
DamienD
Banned

Just wish you could apply scanlines...

Edit: still waiting for my key.txt file though after 12 hours...

Last edited by DamienD; 16 April 2006 at 08:32.
Old 16 April 2006, 14:40   #8
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

@DamienD why would u need scanilines since the output resolution has been quadrupled you don't need scanlines no more
Old 16 April 2006, 16:50   #9
ant512

Felt-tip pen and a ruler?
Old 16 April 2006, 17:58   #10
MethodGit

The remake's alright I guess. And what with it being cheap, I also registered after one play of the first level (of which I'm already an ace at ). My key came almost instantly compared to Damien, though.

I must warn you though when it comes to registering - the not-very-well-translated-as-it-is website has an order form which tells you to enter both your name and your "firstname". What with me taking this too literally, I now have a valid key bearing my forename on both sides of my surname. A tad annoying in a way.

Not sure whether to e-mail them for a new key with an appropriate regname or just simply register it again in a couple months' time due to the small price....
Old 16 April 2006, 18:38   #11
Raislin77it
Zone Friend

i'm awaiting for a key too, i've ordered yesterday
but today is easter, maybe nobody works
Old 16 April 2006, 18:42   #12
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
@DamienD why would u need scanilines since the output resolution has been quadrupled you don't need scanlines no more
Even though the resolution is better I just like scanlines, think they make games look better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit
The remake's alright I guess. And what with it being cheap, I also registered after one play of the first level (of which I'm already an ace at ). My key came almost instantly compared to Damien, though.

I must warn you though when it comes to registering - the not-very-well-translated-as-it-is website has an order form which tells you to enter both your name and your "firstname". What with me taking this too literally, I now have a valid key bearing my forename on both sides of my surname. A tad annoying in a way.

Not sure whether to e-mail them for a new key with an appropriate regname or just simply register it again in a couple months' time due to the small price....
Yup, thought the whole your name followed by your first name is a bit silly

Still haven't received my key.txt file... Luckily I took screen prints of the transaction. Going to e-mail them now
Old 16 April 2006, 21:28   #13
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

@DamienD yeah i like scanlines too (i use them in the snes dvd u sent) however slighlty off topic this but regarding the snes dvd i have been having some problems with snes9x so i've switched to zsnes (with your rom set). I'll tell you more about it in the appropriate thread!

I've always used scanlines for games with lower resolutions just i seem to think another world in 1024*768 dosent require them.
Old 16 April 2006, 21:53   #14
DamienD
Banned

Just got me Key.txt file finally (had to send an e-mail though)

Quote:
I've always used scanlines for games with lower resolutions just i seem to think another world in 1024*768 dosent require them.
Hmmm, only quickly tried it in 640x480. Will try 1024x768
Old 16 April 2006, 23:21   #15
Raislin77it
Zone Friend

key file

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Just got me Key.txt file finally (had to send an e-mail though)

Hmmm, only quickly tried it in 640x480. Will try 1024x768
yeah, mailed 3 mins ago and the reply was 2 mins ago (replied istantaneally)
they're very fast and proffessional
now it's the time to play
Old 16 April 2006, 23:32   #16
DamienD
Banned

No idea as to why yours and my key.txt file took so long to arrive

Not to worry, after sending the e-mail I had a prompt response and the key.txt file followed soon after
Old 18 April 2006, 16:37   #17
MethodGit

Would you Adam and Eve it....... I've completed the remake already!

Ok, certain scenes took several retries, but apart from that I managed to breeze through most of them!

All in all, quite nice.
Old 18 April 2006, 16:42   #18
DamienD
Banned

Yeah once you've finished it once (be it ages ago) it's not too difficult to finish again. Doesn't really get challenging until you get a bit past the stage where you start close to the water running down the wall
Old 03 May 2006, 15:21   #19
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

@MethodGit has anyone requested the key file off you?? i mean has anyone been LAME enough to ask for someones personal key when it clearly costs so little!

Excuses like "I don't have a Credit card etc" it's not me personally but i also bought Warblade "Gold Reg" and Pocket Tanks too, and when i posted in a forum that i had paid for them i got requests to give out my keyfile/reg versions etc @ Least one other person on here is having the same trouble! I'll leave him to name himself and take up this point!
Old 03 May 2006, 17:50   #20
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
@MethodGit has anyone requested the key file off you?? i mean has anyone been LAME enough to ask for someones personal key when it clearly costs so little!
Well, it's funny you should mention this... Just this week I've been having a few requests from different people asking me for my Key file (for various reasons)...

I haven't given it to anybody and tried to be polite in my replies... I won't mention any names as I don't want to embarrass anyone but here's my 2 cents:

... Basically I think that we should support Eric Chahi as he made a wonderful game back then and the revival is also quite cool.
... You get 2 games in 1 so to speak: the old version plus the revival. Personally I think the package is quite good value for money.
... If you really want to see the new revival then purchase the legit Key file. It's so cheap, I cannot understand why anybody would want a pirated version.

I know that originally I had issues with getting my Key file after the purchase but... an e-mail later to the guys and they promptly sorted it out