English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 June 2020, 22:47   #61
DamienD
Banned

Someone just sent me two interesting PMs:

Quote:
I went and d/l this CoffinOS to see what the fuss is about.

Just a snippet of info for you... the "CoffinOS" ROM file seems to have had a small makeover copyright wise.

It reads as follows... AMIGA ROM Operating System and Libraries Powered by 68080 AMMX Apollo Team Bringing 68k back! 3.10 ROM exec.library exec 45.23 (22.09.2016)

Naughty naughty Apollo Team!
Quote:
That's taken from the 'kick.rom' file ... there's tons of stuff in the distro - whdload, mods, full versions of software.

They must be crazy over at Apollo Team if they think this is legal in any way shape or form!
Old 01 June 2020, 23:02   #62
nikosidis

I guess the company that is most interested in this is Hyperion. They are trying to sell AmigaOS classic.

This is risky from a hardware manufacturer.

Hyperion is a bunch of lawyers.
Old 01 June 2020, 23:04   #63
nobody

Who cares, should have been abandonware ages ago or distributed with pay what you want model.
Old 01 June 2020, 23:07   #64
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Who cares, should have been abandonware ages ago or distributed with pay what you want model.
Be that or not... it's not what we are discussing here...

It is what it is today; none of us can change that.
Old 01 June 2020, 23:07   #65
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Who cares?
nobody
Old 01 June 2020, 23:10   #66
DamienD
Banned

...well you guys might not care.

But as mentioned; I'm sure Haage & Partners or Hyperion would, and be very interested in this discussion and what gets uncovered.

Not to mention other still active / commercial software devs when they find out that their work is being distributed for free in this CoffinOS distro...
Old 01 June 2020, 23:33   #67
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:

Regardless they are a hardware manufacturer, they shouldn't even be spreading any WHDLoad games, nevermind anything else.
Old 01 June 2020, 23:34   #68
spudje

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You've now stated incorrectly that the "EAB File Server" also distributes illegal software...

So, again; show me exactly where there are Amiga OS files / Kickstart ROMs and commercial programs / games still for sale on the "EAB File Server" for download?
Just a random pick from the EAB FTP (see attachement), the Amigajay CD32 CDs contain kickstart ROMs, as many games are WHDLoad/CDLoad32 based... So things aren't as black and white as you hope them to be Damien.

I agree Coffin is a very dubious piece of software and that the Apollo team should distance more from it. The main dubious part is AOS 3.9. I think that most, if not all, other software on it can be found on the EAB server as well. Contemporary commercial software on the other hand is present in trial form, e.g. Roadshow.

However, they themselves do not ask money for this distribution. At A34, I was there and got a V4SA with Cloanto licensed kick rom and paid for the hardware, including a CF card. The dubious part is that it contained Coffin, but I didn't pay for Coffin and i own a legal copy of AOS3.9. There are others taking advantage of it and asking money for Coffin.

The Apollo team is actually very much advancing the AROS development.

It's that Amikit is taking quite some time with their Vampire version, because I am very happy to buy that and replace Coffin with Amikit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD32iso.png
Views:	189
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	67574  

Last edited by spudje; 01 June 2020 at 23:44. Reason: Added the Amikit lines.
Old 01 June 2020, 23:37   #69
BippyM
Global Moderator

Again I will refer to my NVidia analogy.. Would NVidia or any other company share software that they do not own/are not licensed to spread? Even if it is considered as "Abandonware"?

For all we know Apollo has permission to spread this imagefile, personally I think it is a massive grey area, but all the same.. It does leave a sour taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Just to a random pick from the EAB FTP (see attachement), the Amigajay CD32 CDs contain kickstart ROMs, as many games are WHDLoad/CDLoad32 based... So things aren't as black and white as you hope them to be Damien.

I agree Coffin is a very dubious piece of software and that the Apollo team should distance more from it. The main dubious part is AOS 3.9. I think that most, if not all, other software on it can be found on the EAB server as well. E.g. contemporary commercial is present in trial form, e.g. Roadshow.

However, they themselves do not ask money for this distribution. At A34, I was there and got a V4SA with Cloanto licensed kick rom and paid for the hardware, including a CF card. The dubious part is that it contained Coffin, but I didn't pay for Coffin. There are others taking advantage of it and asking money for Coffin.

The Apollo team is actually very much advancing the AROS development.
Old 01 June 2020, 23:40   #70
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Given that H&P is enjoined from selling OS 3.5 and 3.9, and there remains all kinds of legal murkiness surrounding ownership and licensing of many parts of 3.9, it's fairly unlikely that the Amiga OS core of Coffin is in any way licensed for them to distribute.
Old 01 June 2020, 23:46   #71
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Just a random pick from the EAB FTP (see attachement), the Amigajay CD32 CDs contain kickstart ROMs, as many games are WHDLoad/CDLoad32 based... So things aren't as black and white as you hope them to be Damien.
That's news to me... please tell me exactly which ones and I'll delete immediately!!!

Edit: just saw your attachment... "Unreleased Game Collection CD32 v0.3.zip" has now deleted off the "EAB File Server".

Amigajay, please don't upload any CDs that KS ROMs.
Old 01 June 2020, 23:48   #72
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Pointing out that it contains WHDload games and lots of software on the EAB server is hardly a good argument.

I'm sure some clever person could make a install script to make it a less grey area.
Old 01 June 2020, 23:50   #73
spudje

There are many, not just from Amigajay. Most of these compilation CDs that use WHDLoad/CDLoad32 contain kick ROMs. I wouldn't even be surprised TOSEC contains them.
Old 01 June 2020, 23:51   #74
shuttlepilot
Vampire 68080 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Pointing out that it contains WHDload games and lots of software on the EAB server is hardly a good argument.

I'm sure some clever person could make a install script to make it a less grey area.
Having illegal Kickstart ROM files on them though is a perfectly valid argument for removal.
Old 01 June 2020, 23:53   #75
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
For all we know Apollo has permission to spread this imagefile, personally I think it is a massive grey area, but all the same.. It does leave a sour taste
Doubt it... or to hack / modify ROMs and put their name all over it.

You can read in the amiga-new.de article that:

Quote:
Mr. Haage did indeed state that he didn't know about the Vampire project and did not have any communication with the people behind it - according to him, nobody approached Haage & Partner to ask about OS 3.9.
Old 01 June 2020, 23:55   #76
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttlepilot View Post
Having illegal Kickstart ROM files on them though is a perfectly valid argument for removal.
This thread is a about the legality yes but the last thread..... It of course valid Amiga topic as any, so you can't post links in it's current state but it's definitely Amiga.

Someone just create a legal install script put it on the file server, bish bash bosh move on.
Old 01 June 2020, 23:55   #77
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
There are many, not just from Amigajay. Most of these compilation CDs that use WHDLoad/CDLoad32 contain kick ROMs.
Ok then; name them and they will be removed immediately!!! Promise

Quote:
I wouldn't even be surprised TOSEC contains them.
100% no... TOSEC are very careful what files they upload and strictly follow EAB rules: Workbench disks, Kickstart ROMs & software or music files still supported/for sale
Old 01 June 2020, 23:58   #78
spudje

So Damien, you want me to ask Amiga-news.de to also make an article about EAB FTP?

Just kidding. My point is, it's all more complicated, vague, etc. just to be pointing fingers IMO. I'm pretty sure, even without these kick ROMs, the "abandonware" on EAB FTP is still seen as valid copyrighted material by more than one lawyer/judge/IP expert/...

So to me it's a bit hypocritical to condemn the Apollo guys. Let's keep pointing them out and advise them to stop making Coffin, or distance from it, or discuss with the rights owners to make it as legal as possible. that's a much more constructive approach I would say.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:06   #79
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
So Damien, you want me to ask Amiga-news.de to also make an article about EAB FTP?
Be my guest...

Quote:
Just kidding. My point is, it's all more complicated, vague, etc. just to be pointing fingers IMO. I'm pretty sure, even without these kick ROMs, the "abandonware" on EAB FTP is still seen as valid copyrighted material by more than one lawyer/judge/IP expert/...
Same thing I said to Predseda; you show me exactly where Amiga OS files / Kickstart ROMs and commercial programs / games still for sale are on the "EAB File Server" and I'll delete immediately!!!

Quote:
So to me it's a bit hypocritical to condemn the Apollo guys. Let's keep pointing them out and advise them to stop making Coffin, or distance from it, or discuss with the rights owners to make it as legal as possible. that's a much more constructive approach I would say.
They are distributing "Amiga OS 3.9" in their distro... you show me where there is Amiga OS media on the EAB File Server please?

I can pretty much guarantee that you won't find any.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:13   #80
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Yes it contains OS3.9 and that's not right but doesn't mean you should censor it.

but I see his point, pointing out it has WHDload games etc(maybe from here) is a bit hypocritical.

but where do you stop try nearly every Coverdisk has LoadWB and you can start WinUae with a Kick from Relokick cant you.