English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 April 2020, 23:17   #3901
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

437 and up are artifacts of the move. Nothing has changed since 436 (which is 17.13 WIP)
Old 27 April 2020, 23:39   #3902
Timtheloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Here you'll find the latest releases for the library: https://jenkins.sakura-it.pl/job/sonnetamiga/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
437 and up are artifacts of the move. Nothing has changed since 436 (which is 17.13 WIP)

Cheers Guys I’ll check them out tomorrow.

@Spudje I take it you are timmie on Amibay I can lend you my Mediator 4000Di but it’s an older model not a 3.3v model as you know
Old 28 April 2020, 01:53   #3903
grelbfarlk

Quote:
So guess what. it may be heat causing my issues after all, details here: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=288
Voodoo or Mediator logic board?

Given Quake060 runs fine with Warp3D and QuakeWoS crashes, would it point more to the logic board or still the voodoo?
If you're convinced it's heat then it sort of doesn't matter. The Voodoo is going to kick out a lot of heat, as will the Apocalypse and to a lesser extent the Mediator bridge. One or more of these can create enough heat to create problems for a different device. People have various means of dealing with this. Or the elegant solution there's the 3D printed motherboard fan mount like Trixster has, but he modified/chopped his down a bit.
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...7&postcount=14

An 80MM or so fan with two or three tie wraps can hang off the A4000 crossbar, that's what I have in my good A4000 Desktop, but you might have to get creative to make room around your Zorro cards.
Old 28 April 2020, 08:53   #3904
spudje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtheloon View Post
@Spudje I take it you are timmie on Amibay I can lend you my Mediator 4000Di but it’s an older model not a 3.3v model as you know
Yes, that's me Thanks for the offer. Now with heat seeming to be the issue I may try to resolve it with my current hardware first.

However I already have a fanholder like that with a fan sucking air (not blowing) from the back of the case over the cards. But that doesn't seem to be enough. I actually tend to see very similar instability issues with and without this fan.

I'll temporarily put a big fan on the voodoo heatsink. If that does not make a difference I think it's the MACH chips on the Mediator.
Old 28 April 2020, 09:22   #3905
Timtheloon

Sonnet 7200 PCI programming

Quote:
Yes, that's me Thanks for the offer. Now with heat seeming to be the issue I may try to resolve it with my current hardware first.
No problem, hope you find a solution

Quote:
If that does not make a difference I think it's the MACH chips on the Mediator.

All my Mediator Logic-board Mach chips have heatsinks attached, it surprising how hot they get. Take it there is not enough room between the logic board and motherboard with the 4000Di setup for you to do this?

I’m just looking for a better fan solution to hold a fan over the PCI cards and logic board but allows me to fold it out of the way when I want to try different configurations. Luckily there is quite a lot of room above the PCI cards for a fan to fit in a Power Tower. I feel your pain, the original A4000 Case look amazing but sadly not much room inside.

Last edited by Timtheloon; 28 April 2020 at 09:27.
Old 28 April 2020, 12:07   #3906
spudje

BTW how can I run Quake 2 in a demo mode? That seems the most demanding of the games I have installed.
Old 28 April 2020, 12:35   #3907
Timtheloon

Sonnet 7200 PCI programming

Quote:
BTW how can I run Quake 2 in a demo mode? That seems the most demanding of the games I have installed.

timedemo 1

map demo1.dm2

I believe

And leave out timedemo 1 for a normal speed demo
Old 28 April 2020, 21:00   #3908
spudje

Yes, thanks, however that runs it once. How can I loop it endlessly (or until the Amiga crashes)?
Old 28 April 2020, 21:11   #3909
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Yes, thanks, however that runs it once. How can I loop it endlessly (or until the Amiga crashes)?
set timedemo 1 then hit tilde "~" and it should cycle through the demos until it runs out of RAM or crashes.
Old 28 April 2020, 21:49   #3910
Timtheloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Tim, a couple things I noticed:
VoodooInt = Yes this used to be slow and crashy if it was not set.
Quote:
I would turn off VoodooMemOS. That 3 MB you can better use for textures.
So I set VoodooMemOS=No has suggested by Hedeon and set VoodooInt=Yes as suggested by grelbfarlk, seems these setting also allow my WHDLoad games to work which is great

Quote:
VoodooMem = 10 that's a little low but should be fine. Generally we set it for 12 or 13 as you'd want to give as much VRAM to the Voodoo as possible, in that if you don't need it for Spider buffers or Sonnetlib space, it's not good for much else.
Set VoodooMem=13 and my setup seems to like this setting too, Thank you.

Quote:
Not sure about that card order, but if it works, then I suppose it's fine.
SBLive is not supported by anything other than as a mixer, AFAIK there is no functional driver as an AHI device, but maybe you just want it as a sound mixer or maybe it's just there for bus termination.
So I've replaced the SBLive with a SB128 and I can now get sound in Wipeout2097 with the AHI set to SB128 16bit Stereo ++ albeit a bit cracklie. so its back to Paula 8BIT DMA for Music and 0 for now

Quote:
Also, it seems you have the powerpc.library from Aminet? Latest should say 17.13 (from git).

Now I tried these but they still show up has 17.12 versions on my system and also make Wipeout2097 have lots of recoverable errors on startup. so I'm back to my original 17.12 powerpc.library.

Thanks for your Help, I'll probably have more questions soon

Last edited by Timtheloon; 28 April 2020 at 21:57.
Old 28 April 2020, 21:56   #3911
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

No support from me for older versions, sorry.
Old 28 April 2020, 22:04   #3912
Timtheloon

Quote:
No support from me for older versions, sorry.

I want to use the newer one just its are not showing up has 17.13 and i had issues, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong (more than likely I am )

Really appreciate what you have done for the Amiga Community
Old 28 April 2020, 22:11   #3913
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Yeah, the version number inside the library base was incorrect. I updated it immediately, but Jenkins seems to have a problem with building.

What are those recoverable alerts?
Old 28 April 2020, 22:41   #3914
spudje

I had no problems with the build from April 18th and Wipeout. I do remember these recoverable alerts from past (as in couple years ago) efforts, but honestly don't remember how I fixed them. I still think it was a combination of the correct configurations and ENVARCs.

I just had another test run, already started the looping demo of Quake1 WOS before the Quake 2 looping instructions were posted. Same thing as yesterday, runs without a problem for 1,5 hour with the big fan blowing full power on the A4000. Taking away the fan and again, within about 15 minutes it crashed.

So next step will be, no more big room fan, but trying a case fan on the voodoo heatsink, then removing the indivision (and removing the voodoo fan again) like someone suggested on A1k.
Old 28 April 2020, 22:48   #3915
Timtheloon

Quote:
What are those recoverable alerts?

Sadly I didn’t record them, So I just went and tried it with the new library and it didn’t do it this time (typical) but crashed when starting the game

Video showing the crash stuck at this screen with the engine sound repeating

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cvm...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 28 April 2020, 23:37   #3916
grelbfarlk

Talking about heat, here are some general numbers to consider, measured with a little IR thermometer from the back of the case. With the Apocalypse in my test Desktop with case off and a working fan on the Ramix, after being on a little while I can find spots on the edges of the PPC or the heatsink measuring 144F. With the case on the hottest spot I can find on the Apocalypse PPC chip or heatsink is 115F.
Something else we've tried is taping the edges of the Apocalypse to the Ramix so air is mostly only channeled from the backplane through the heatsink to the Ramix fan- it might not do anything but it makes us feel better. Also tying an onion to your belt might help as well though it's not in style any more.
Old 29 April 2020, 09:46   #3917
spudje

In my case, I don't think the Apocalypse is the cause here. As the behaviour is almost identical when running on CSPPC without the PCI PPC installed. It's either voodoo, but most likely Mediator logic board.
Old 02 May 2020, 01:23   #3918
drluking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
AmigaAMP 3.27 is out - anyone want to try it?
AmigaAMP 3.27 has not more EXTERNAL (WOS) usable, why ?
AmigaAMP 3.26 is OK with WOS with old EXTERNAL engine (WarpUP decoding engine 2.20 (24.02.2009) [54KB])

http://www.amigaamp.de/download.shtml
Old 04 May 2020, 11:58   #3919
BULI

About fun, I have that:

And with modified brackets for stream air:
Old 04 May 2020, 12:06   #3920
BULI

About VRAM, I had 14MB on A1200 and Mediator/Voodoo/SoundBlaster/Spider and it was safe.Now, after tests, I have set in A4000 and Mediator, Ragnarok, Voodoo3 SoundBlaster and Spider:
VoodooMem = 15, and for Spider I don't use buffers from env.
When I want to use Spider, almost masstorage i add buffer memory (real fast ram 68k) from Cli/scripts :-)