English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

View Poll Results: If you wanted to buy one or both of the A1200 Vampire boards, be it a standard Vampre
The 128mb regular Vampire with same specs as the a600 22 27.50%
The high Performance Vampire 28 35.00%
The High performance standalone board 15 18.75%
Buy both option 3 and 4 15 18.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 April 2016, 11:25   #21
crazyc

It would be interesting to know the size of the market segments of a1200 owners who use their A1200s (or would use them) for various things.
I know that tempting as it is, I already find that the B1260 I have is a bit of overkill, and even with the extra oomph, would I really use my a1200 for daily things like web browsing? In my circumstances no, so it would be just proof of concept and 'because I could' - now that is often a sufficient reason of course, but I mostly use my amigas for games - so could I justify the outlay, sadly probably not in my case.
perhaps in the future if money becomes a little more plentiful then I would get one - but I have daughters so........
Great to see such projects though.
Old 18 April 2016, 13:40   #22
Bastich

If an A4000 version becomes available I will have one straight away
Old 18 April 2016, 21:20   #23
jimbob

I voted high performance vampire but I'm not too sure. If this basically leaves the original motherboard as a form factor adaptor, I would think about a standalone.
Old 18 April 2016, 21:49   #24
Amiga1992

I can't change my vote! I meant to vote "standalone" version.
Old 22 April 2016, 07:32   #25
kolla
Banned

Standalone, gives way more flexibility and is cheaper. Hopefully there will new real Amiga USB keyboards coming as well.
Old 22 April 2016, 10:11   #26
tomse
We need more scans!

I'm still considdering with my self what to buy.

The A600 spec version is nice and cheap and will most likely cover my needs,
but I also know that I'll punish myself not getting the best version, just because it's better.

Webbrowsing, Youtube etc, I already have a pc for that.

Elite and Frontier already runs smooth on the A600 V2.

Perhaps an A600 specced for the A1200
and a high power for A4000 would cover my needs.

still can't decide
Old 22 April 2016, 11:10   #27
Tiago

I would go for the 128mb regular Vampire.
The others would have a cost far away from what i can give. So i vote only based on the price.
Old 29 April 2016, 10:24   #28
alphadec

strange to see that most people dont want a stand-alone amiga built on todays tech. And most just a accelcard.

I am 1000% all for stand-alone amiga.

Old 29 April 2016, 12:38   #29
daxb

I guess people think (at least I`ve read several times) stand-alone board isn`t an Amiga in there opinion. Whatever Amiga means. Mostly a psychological thing. Then there are people which own a lot of Amigas and they like them. A stand-alone board could make the collection obsolete what i might be not a good feeling. Others don`t want another new "Amiga" computer toy (for the cherished/groomed collection). Then many people think Amiga is retro and a stand-alone board seems not to be retro. And don`t forget the classic gamers only. Users are individualists and sometimes strange. A lot of reasons alphadec.
Old 29 April 2016, 13:09   #30
Amicol

High Performance A1200 version for me!
Full speed C64 emulation here we come
Old 29 April 2016, 13:23   #31
NorthWay

The standalone would be my second purchase. Not so much to get wrong with only an accellerator.
Old 29 April 2016, 13:30   #32
spudje

High Performance accelerator has my first prio.

Standalone depends on how it compares to Amiga Reloaded, but more likely with MIST/Arcade Replay and also form factor. I'd love some nice case for new standalone Amiga(compatible) hardware that looks better than the (very ugly) MIST boxes. No idea if a Raspberry pi GPIO hat version is anything realistisc?

What I do hope is that the high performance version would eventually also allow PPC logic to be flashed into the FPGA, so we can run AOS4...
Old 29 April 2016, 19:35   #33
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I guess people think (at least I`ve read several times) stand-alone board isn`t an Amiga in there opinion. Whatever Amiga means. Mostly a psychological thing. Then there are people which own a lot of Amigas and they like them. A stand-alone board could make the collection obsolete what i might be not a good feeling. Others don`t want another new "Amiga" computer toy (for the cherished/groomed collection). Then many people think Amiga is retro and a stand-alone board seems not to be retro. And don`t forget the classic gamers only. Users are individualists and sometimes strange. A lot of reasons alphadec.
A standalone version holds much more potential. AGA gfx could be overlayed over RTG Chunky all output on the same monitor with customizable output frequencies. Some Amiga users seem to have a problem with the concept of it but I doubt they would if they used such a device and found how convenient it is to have fast one monitor gfx, modern I/O, more memory, no bottlenecks, etc. I didn't vote however in the poll as I probably won't buy any "Apollo" hardware. Reasons:

1) Without new open standards, the Amiga moves forward in chaotic disjointed incompatible directions which will eventually fail from lack of support for such a small market. Gunnar is not interested in standardization and is often not open.

2) Without new open standards, I'll stick with the old standards we have. I expect the fpga Arcade with 68060 expansion will be out sooner than the Apollo standalone now that Mike has the connectors needed. The cost will likely be a little higher and the CPU a little slower but then it is mostly bug free. Mike is not interested in enhancing the 68k but is open to new standards and his project is more open in general. The fpgaArcade has the advantage of more retro simulations which adds value. As spudje has mentioned, the standalone board market is a competition and the "Apollo" is unlikely to be the first to market (with high spec 68k Amiga hardware) since Gunnar chose to focus on accelerators for classic Amiga hardware instead. A standalone board should be easier to support even though it is more expensive to build.

Last edited by matthey; 29 April 2016 at 19:42.
Old 29 April 2016, 19:57   #34
desiv

What I would want, and what I will actually afford for my hobby are different things.. ;-)
The "under 200 euro" range is probably where I'll fall when looking to upgrade from my ACA1230/28.

desiv
Old 29 April 2016, 21:43   #35
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
What I would want, and what I will actually afford for my hobby are different things.. ;-)
The "under 200 euro" range is probably where I'll fall when looking to upgrade from my ACA1230/28.

desiv
Main reason I don't do much on real hardware is just price...

With price of Raspberry Pi and simillar boards, I avoid most of Amiga projects, including mini mig.

Sure, it is more accurate and closer to real hardware, but also it's 5, 10 and even more times more expensive...

Commodore always was expensive hobby, even in times company still existed, and 1.44 disk costed 20-30 dollars for PC, while amiga 770kb was 50+...

Guess some things never change...
Old 29 April 2016, 21:49   #36
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
A standalone version holds much more potential. AGA gfx could be overlayed over RTG Chunky all output on the same monitor with customizable output frequencies. Some Amiga users seem to have a problem with the concept of it but I doubt they would if they used such a device and found how convenient it is to have fast one monitor gfx, modern I/O, more memory, no bottlenecks, etc. I didn't vote however in the poll as I probably won't buy any "Apollo" hardware. Reasons:

1) Without new open standards, the Amiga moves forward in chaotic disjointed incompatible directions which will eventually fail from lack of support for such a small market. Gunnar is not interested in standardization and is often not open.

2) Without new open standards, I'll stick with the old standards we have. I expect the fpga Arcade with 68060 expansion will be out sooner than the Apollo standalone now that Mike has the connectors needed. The cost will likely be a little higher and the CPU a little slower but then it is mostly bug free. Mike is not interested in enhancing the 68k but is open to new standards and his project is more open in general. The fpgaArcade has the advantage of more retro simulations which adds value. As spudje has mentioned, the standalone board market is a competition and the "Apollo" is unlikely to be the first to market (with high spec 68k Amiga hardware) since Gunnar chose to focus on accelerators for classic Amiga hardware instead. A standalone board should be easier to support even though it is more expensive to build.
If the Apollo core is open source then that would kill the possibility of it being placed on an ASIC with MASSIVE speed improvement so i personally do not see the need to make this open source, no CPU manufacturer wants to reveal their code, only allow you to use it to program. As for the fpga Arcade 060 upgrade you say it will be a little slower, i believe it will be 3 times slower and also very costly so at what point do you switch?
Old 29 April 2016, 22:09   #37
jiffy

Tbh, I most likely would go for the basic version. Atm, I mostly use my A600 with ACA630/25 and my A500 with 68010 en A508/IDE. Even while I have an A1260 with Blizzard 1260 and a heavily expanded A2000 sitting in the closet... The A600 and A500 in their current setups work well for everything I want to do on the Amiga.
Old 29 April 2016, 22:19   #38
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amicol View Post
High Performance A1200 version for me!
Same here. I don't want a standalone version. For that I've got my PC.
Old 29 April 2016, 22:34   #39
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
If the Apollo core is open source then that would kill the possibility of it being placed on an ASIC with MASSIVE speed improvement so i personally do not see the need to make this open source, no CPU manufacturer wants to reveal their code, only allow you to use it to program. As for the fpga Arcade 060 upgrade you say it will be a little slower, i believe it will be 3 times slower and also very costly so at what point do you switch?
Copyrights can be maintained even if the source is open (freely available). For example, the vbcc source is open but copyright (needs permission/payment for commercial use). More bugs are found, more code is donated, more users use it, more customization is possible, development is faster, etc. I wouldn't have been able to compile and debug it on my Amiga and I likely wouldn't have made most of my contributions without the code being open.

I do *not* require the Apollo core to be open for me to support it. I want the standards to be open and an Amiga community effort instead of one authoritarian's decisions. I'm talking about enhanced 68k ISA/ABI, enhanced AGA/RTG/3D standards, enhanced audio hardware/RTA standards, etc. The NG Amigas already have division with incompatible APIs and now we are headed down the same roads with incompatible hardware. Divided the 68k Amiga will fail also. Remember my warning!
Old 29 April 2016, 22:39   #40
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Copyrights can be maintained even if the source is open (freely available). For example, the vbcc source is open but copyright (needs permission/payment for commercial use). More bugs are found, more code is donated, more users use it, more customization is possible, development is faster, etc. I wouldn't have been able to compile and debug it on my Amiga and I likely wouldn't have made most of my contributions without the code being open.

I do *not* require the Apollo core to be open for me to support it. I want the standards to be open and an Amiga community effort instead of one authoritarian's decisions. I'm talking about enhanced 68k ISA/ABI, enhanced AGA/RTG/3D standards, enhanced audio hardware/RTA standards, etc. The NG Amigas already have division with incompatible APIs and now we are headed down the same roads with incompatible hardware. Divided the 68k Amiga will fail also. Remember my warning!
The Apollo core will have incompatibilies, just like the 040 and the 060, but the Apollo will not need the support libraries and there will be updates available to fix some bugs that will certainly pop up,. the Amiga community is already divided, people will decide what their poison is and go with it. Everyone has their own opinion, heed my warning