English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 05 January 2013, 11:25   #1
Turran

Help with custom 3.1 kickstart creation.

Greetings.

I was thinking of just replacing the scsi.device in a custom ROM file for loading in ACATune (To start with anyway. This is for experimental reasons mostly.).

I followed mfilos guide HERE to extract my rom from my real amiga (3.1). Got the files fine.

I then, in remus, follow the instructions in the guide to just add the files back, one by one, but I add in "SCSI_v43_45_ChrisToni" instead. Renaming it to "scsi.device_40.12(A600-A1200)" first.

I have to leave workbench.library_40.5 out since it wont fit now.

It compiles fine and I copy it over to my WinUAE machine. That ROM works fine to start WinUAE with, except workbench wont start, of course (I have not yet created the extended rom with workbench.library_40.5). However, running it with "No startup sequence" and checking version scsi.device shows that it is indeed 43.45 as is the ChrisToni version that I want.

Ok, back to creating the extended rom. I follow the instructions in the guide, leaving out the kick3.9 files I do not want.

That compiles fine as well (Yes, intuition.library_40.85 is now in both roms, however, I've tested to remove it from both the first and extended rom as well, so its only in one).

However, when loading the extended rom in WinUAE and booting, it does not start up. It powers on and the HD light comes on for a second, then it seems to reboot and just reboots over and over.

According to the guide, it should work now (in WinAUE atleast). I might add that if I use the standard scsi.device from the original ROM and add in workbench.library as well (as it then fits), all works just fine. If I keep following the guide to merge them to a 1MB rom, the same thing happens. Bootbootboot

Any clues? Thanks =)

Update: If I, in the extended rom, leave out the DummyCDStrap file, it starts fine with the extended rom, but it can not find workbench.library.

Update2: Well, I remade the extended ROM to look just like this:

And it does not reboot anymore. However, it does not find workbench.library for some reason. Same if I merge them both to a 1MB rom file.

Last edited by Turran; 05 January 2013 at 12:06.
Old 05 January 2013, 15:20   #2
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Hi mate,

Are you sure you included the 1MB_ROM module in you normal custom ROM?
If you don't include it then even if you make an extended kickstart, it won't be seen from the normal one.
Btw, make sure you put it exactly after exec.library alas 2nd module inline.

You have 2 options to use your custom kickstart.
1. Use only the normal custom kickstart you made (512KB) leaving outside the Workbench.library but instead you also need to insert the WBFind module (you can find a newer version from DonAdan's small rom modules (http://wt.exotica.org.uk/files/test/WT31.lzx). This module is really tiny and only tells ROM to look workbench.library from your LIBS folder. So you just put the extracted Worbench.library in LIBS and you're done

2. Use normally the 1MB custom ROM but just use the 1MB_ROM module on the normal kickstart and the Romheader on the extended and you'll be fine.
Also make sure to select EXTENDED in the ROM base option as by default it has the normal one

Also and iirc, DummyCDStrap is only needed if you use an PPC accelerator. I'm for sure not using it on my A600 with ACA630 with my custom 3.9 1MB ROMS

For a more updated guide always check my personal blog here:
http://mfilos.blogspot.com/p/guides.html
Old 05 January 2013, 15:37   #3
Turran

Ahh excellent, thank you. I had not selected extended rom!

That part of the guide was missing from http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=11935 but looks good on your personal blog. I'll use that instead =)
Quote:
Now it works just fine. Big thank you. Now to play and hunt for a cheap eeprom burner and some eeproms =)

Last edited by Turran; 05 January 2013 at 15:55.
Old 05 January 2013, 20:31   #4
Turran

Just wanted to say thanks again mfilos. Just created an A4000D 3.9 rom with workbench.library in libs and the WBFind in rom instead. Works a treat!

Also got my initial rom working for fun (3.1 with 43.45 scsi.device).

EEPROM burner ordered. Lets play.
Old 09 January 2013, 16:37   #5
Turran

Hm, would I be correct if I said I need to select A500/A2000 in Make 1MB Rom if I want to make one for A600?
Old 09 January 2013, 20:01   #6
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Just wanted to say thanks again mfilos. Just created an A4000D 3.9 rom with workbench.library in libs and the WBFind in rom instead. Works a treat!

Also got my initial rom working for fun (3.1 with 43.45 scsi.device).

EEPROM burner ordered. Lets play.
Which one did you buy and what EEPROM will you be using as your 'blank' chip to write to?
Old 09 January 2013, 22:53   #7
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Hm, would I be correct if I said I need to select A500/A2000 in Make 1MB Rom if I want to make one for A600?
Yep that's correct