English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 22 June 2008, 11:53   #1
john4p
Competition Moderator

Alien Breed Problem

I just watched a vid of Alien Breed and Alien Breed II on Youtube. The games don't seem to have a scoring system and thus aren't suited for competition, are they?

If no, I suggest a poll where we can choose between X/Z-Out, Lotus and Pinball (place counts shouldn't be considered because if Alien Breed is invalid people would have voted very differently!).
Old 22 June 2008, 11:57   #2
Graham Humphrey

I'm pretty sure they do have scores - you just don't see them until it's game over. There is a high score table if I remember rightly. I'll check properly later...
Old 22 June 2008, 13:09   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi john,

it's like Graham said : You don't see the score while you play, but the score is counted and displayed on the game over screen. You can also view the highscores from the main menu. Here is a screenshot with the highscore table :

Old 22 June 2008, 13:30   #4
john4p
Competition Moderator

Ah, okay - thanks!
Old 22 June 2008, 13:35   #5
Graham Humphrey

Actually you can see the score during the game too - but only if you log on to the terminals and choose 'Statistics'.
Old 22 June 2008, 13:40   #6
john4p
Competition Moderator

But with its infinitely respawning enemies do you think this game is really suited for competition? I mean I can imagine there will be a very thin line between playing correctly and score leeching...
Old 22 June 2008, 13:47   #7
Graham Humphrey

You do have limited ammo however (obviously you can collect more, and buy more too as long as you have enough credits) so you can't really do that unless you fancy running out of ammo really quickly

Otherwise it would have been a problem.
Old 22 June 2008, 13:48   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thanks for the info Graham. It's been some time since I played Alien Breed for the last time. The computer terminals are a cool feature in Alien Breed and the Pong game is just hilarious
Old 22 June 2008, 15:08   #9
mailman
Zone Friend

Which Alien Breeds are we going to play? AB, ABSE'92, AB2 or ABTA?
Old 22 June 2008, 15:18   #10
Graham Humphrey

I think you need to have a look in the voting thread my friend

Although when it comes to Alien Breed 2, I think the ECS and AGA versions are actually a bit different to each other. I had a look on AMR and it appears that the AGA version has more enemies on screen compared to the ECS version and therefore is more difficult. I've just briefly been playing both versions myself and maybe it's just my imagination but the AGA version is a lot harder - there's definitely more going on...
Old 22 June 2008, 16:09   #11
mailman
Zone Friend

OK, got it Sorry for bothering...
Old 29 June 2008, 05:16   #12
TodaysForgotten

Unfortunately, for those who do not score 10,000 or more - will not have a score to submit.
Old 29 June 2008, 08:17   #13
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
I think you need to have a look in the voting thread my friend

Although when it comes to Alien Breed 2, I think the ECS and AGA versions are actually a bit different to each other. I had a look on AMR and it appears that the AGA version has more enemies on screen compared to the ECS version and therefore is more difficult. I've just briefly been playing both versions myself and maybe it's just my imagination but the AGA version is a lot harder - there's definitely more going on...
If this is the case, what shall we do ?.. stick to only the ECS version of AB2 or do we all have access to AGA machines and AGA through emulation??

Just for sake of it though, AB2 is easier than part 1. I could NEVER finish part one, but found myself finishing part 2 back in 93 because it really was far more playable, and that was the AGA version. Actually i haven't played any Alien Breed game ( apart from AB3D ) since 93, so this certainly will be a bit difficult.

How are we going to work this?
Old 29 June 2008, 08:35   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi blade,

this is what Graham have written in the thread for Alien Breed 2 :

Quote:
- Use the ECS version only.

So we have to use the ECS version, but I think it's not much of a difference. I don't know, but is it a problem to play the ECS version on a AGA machine?
Old 29 June 2008, 08:44   #15
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post

So we have to use the ECS version, but I think it's not much of a difference. I don't know, but is it a problem to play the ECS version on a AGA machine?
Narr, the ECS version of AB2 should work fine, but i just have one problem!... i don't have the ECS version on my machine and my CD Rom software on my A1200 is all up the shit because my Workbench install is also all up the shit ( has been for a long time ) and i don't really have time to fix it up.

And the only way i can transfer files as big as ADF's or WHDLoad games to my HD are through a CD .. ..

looks like i will need to spend some time getting it all going properly again...
Old 29 June 2008, 08:56   #16
mailman
Zone Friend

How about using disks and CrossDOS to read them? I do it sometimes. If files are big you need to split and join them but it is not impossible.
Old 29 June 2008, 08:57   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Looks like you are a bit out of luck recently blade
I really hope you can solve this problem and that it's not to stressful. Until then you can at least play Alien Breed right?
Good luck mate!
Old 29 June 2008, 11:54   #18
Graham Humphrey

It is a small difference between the two versions but obviously it can be a significant one, given the nature of the competition - we couldn't really play both as it's won't exactly be a level playing field. I can't imagine there being too many situations like this but it's not as if you don't get a chance to vote for the AGA version...

Quote:
If a game comes in ECS and AGA versions, please state if you want to play the AGA version or not in your vote. If you don't specify we will assume you want the ECS version. If that game wins the vote we will count up the number of ECS and AGA votes and go for the version with most votes - unless the two versions of the games are exactly the same gameplay-wise, then we will use both.
Anyway Blade, hope you get your problems sorted out soon!