English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 21 January 2019, 10:51   #2401
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Mission Impossible: Fallout.

Pleasant surprise. This is the best Mission Impossible movie I've seen yet.
Agreed... not usually a fan of this series, repetative and dull, but this one was very good indeed.
Old 21 January 2019, 14:35   #2402
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Life (2017)

Very interesting science fiction horror that has some cool death scenes without gravity, but story itself lacks innovation. Story is nothing new, but ending is bit interesting and places this movie as more favorite then rest of space junk. If you are into science fiction and bit of horror, don't miss this movie.

7 / 10

Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)
Sterile experience that manages just not to connect to audience, even if you try. It does not help if you like genre, this movie manages to screw it so much that just does not make any sense at some points (or should I say, all point ). Avoid at all cost...

4 / 10

Last edited by Anubis; 21 January 2019 at 18:52.
Old 21 January 2019, 14:38   #2403
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Yeah, quite enjoyed this also
Old 23 January 2019, 20:11   #2404
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Sicario: Day of the Soldado (2018)

What to say about this movie?? Just crazy from start to end. Today political situation probably adds bit of bias in everyone, but this movie manages to give you different perspective, no matter what you think about USA south border.

Just incredible how bad ass Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro look and act. You have to love it. I quite enjoyed this movie, and will definitely look for next movie in this franchise.

8 / 10
Old 28 January 2019, 09:42   #2405
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I found Brainscan on Youtube, so I watched that golden oldie again; and now Youtube suggests me all kinds of epic classic full movies, thanks Youtube! Aaaaah the days where you saw a kid in a movie talk to his computer and it would execute orders like dialing a phone... now that was the dream. And fast-forward to today and you really do not want computers to do that

Also for the first time I appreciate the humor in the game master going through the kid's selection of heavy metal music, states "Don't you have anything good?" and then puts on what sounds like Primus, to the shock and horror of the protagonist

7/10, a movie that only ripens with age. It was limited by the technology of it's time so the movie doesn't actually show a whole lot of technology nonsense - which just goes to show that less is more. Watch something like the Lawnmower Man today and it's hilariously dated, like playing a 3D game in the Quake 1 era. But this remains a classic.
Old 28 January 2019, 09:45   #2406
Shoonay
Global Caturator

[ Show youtube player ]

Aeon of Sands with Marco Pedrana (2019)

Crazy movie, man, just crazy...
Old 28 January 2019, 13:26   #2407
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Oh darn, Matt Chat. Thanks for reminding me that this is still a thing.

Also, I need to play that game again :/
Old 28 January 2019, 13:37   #2408
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

CHIPS (2018)

Usually adult comedies (Or R rated comedies) are either good and bad in extremes, but this one managed to get rather in good half, but not as Deadpool or similar rater R comedies. Solid performance by Michael Pena and Dax Shepard, very unusual couple adds to this movie and makes it watchable. Apparently movie is based on TV series from 70s, but I don't remember ever watching single episode.

7 / 10

Tag (2018)

I don't know what is more stupid, article in Wall Street Journal, movie being made about it, or fact that grownups were playing Tag for almost 30 years or that movie has close to 7 rating on IMDB. Silliness and extreme that make this movie a movie is just crazy and somehow lost... I feel sorry for everyone paying any money to watch this in movie theater.

4 / 10

Last edited by Anubis; 28 January 2019 at 16:14.
Old 28 January 2019, 15:36   #2409
Ian
Global Moderator

I thought Tag was OK, harmless feelgood fun, I quite like that it's based on a true story and these old guys still do it to this day.
Old 01 February 2019, 14:01   #2410
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

And now for something completly different...

Saw with wife 2nd and 3rd movie from 50 shades of gray. I haven't read book, so no opinion who should be in the movie, as that seemed to be biggest issue with those who read book, apart from not having enough of drama in 3 movies for half of good movie.

Fifty Shades Darker (2017)
Not much to say about this one. Undressing and very little of kind is big part of it, not much anything else. IMDB seems to be right on spot with this one.

4 / 10

Fifty Shades Freed (2018)
I actually liked this one much more, probably because finally there is some story, some nice cars and there is finally end to story.

5 / 10

In my opinion, this should have been series probably made by HBO.
Old 01 February 2019, 14:39   #2411
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

You are way too kind. I suspect your wife had you at gunpoint.
Old 01 February 2019, 14:52   #2412
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

You just have to acknowledge good try to show as much of nudity, sexuality with little kink as you can see on movies today, without going to extreme and/or p0rgraphy.

Last edited by Anubis; 01 February 2019 at 14:54. Reason: Better word choice
Old 01 February 2019, 23:23   #2413
jmmijo

Quote:
You just have to acknowledge good try to show as much of nudity, sexuality with little kink as you can see on movies today, without going to extreme and/or p0rgraphy.
But there isn't anything wrong with pr0n
Old 01 February 2019, 23:49   #2414
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

CLOSE:
Noomi Rapace plays Sam Carlson, a counter-terrorism expert, haunted by her demons, who has to accept a time limited bodyguard job to protect a rich and young heiress unsympathetic.
Neither party is happy on the other until a brutal kidnapping tentative forces them to run for their lives.
The plot is predictable but in counterpart the action is well tied up. The lack of love between the protagonists and their mutual help is well played.
Except for some "dummy" parts, in the end a good thriller movie even if questions about the "bad" protagonist remain open.
6.5/10

Last edited by malko; 01 February 2019 at 23:57. Reason: typo
Old 02 February 2019, 00:28   #2415
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
No I don't, I'm an 80's child so I'm used to kinky sexy movies that are actually good
Old 02 February 2019, 23:13   #2416
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Speaking of being an 80's child... I watched this wonderful movie that was made specifically for me. Back off. Nobody else is allowed to see it, the movie is for me. Me. ME. MEEEEEEE! It is my own! My precious!

This movie is Bumblebee.

Alright alright, go ahead and see it because ho boy - it is good. That is, if you like Transformers. The real transformers - the generation 1 cartoon. Because this movie starts on Cybertron where the Autobots and the Decepticons are duking it out, as they do. You see among others Soundwave, Ratchet, Shockwave, Optimus Prime and yes Bumblebee. And they look and sound exactly as they should sound and look! They even got the voices right! And the transformations... I was amazed all over again. They done fixed it all up.

Quickly enough, too quickly, the movie makes it's way to Earth though. 1980's Earth to be exact and that made me realize that I want many more movies to take place in the 80's. The soundtrack on this movie is phenomenal, some of the best pop music tracks the 80's had to offer and hearing them being blasted loudly through a good sound system... I admit it, I went back in time and it felt good. Seeing this I realize we should have all turned Amish around that time; it was just enough technology to live the lazier life while not getting completely lost in the technology. Good times. Better times.

The movie itself - pretty typical. Lots of CGI, some good jokes, very lighthearted material that never tries to be too serious or realistic. The teenage angst makes it's return from the first Bay movie but it is handled a whole lot less cringy this time around, far more true to life and the main character, an 18 year old stunner of a girl-next-door, is done properly. Most characters in the movie are pretty likable, none written to be annoying or cartoony. This movie was clearly made to be as anti-Bay as possible and I thank the gods for that.

There is just one thing that I am not exactly clear on - is this a prequel or a soft reboot? I think it's a little bit of both as some elements that appear in the Bay movies, from now on to be known as the "failed experiment" movies, are setup in this movie, but some other things it seems are ret-conned to setup a better framework for future movies that follow the cartoons a lot better. No more allspark nonsense I think, I fully expect a future movie to reference Vector Sigma.

I am really looking forward to the next movie which I can only imagine is going to be about the fall of Cybertron.

As a Transformers superfan I give this a 9/10. But when I compare the movie relatively to others, it deserves a healthy 7.5/10. At the end of the day it's still only a CGI-heavy run & gun movie wrapped in a tribute to the 80's. But a really good one.
Old 04 February 2019, 09:26   #2417
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Aaaaaaaand for something you'll really enjoy... Train to Busan. I am completely zombied out. There were at some point so many movies about zombie outbreaks that I just opted out. I finished the Resident Evil series just because if you start something you should finish it, the last movies were so bad it isn't even funny anymore. however when I saw the trailer of Train to Busan, I had to see it.

So, what then if you put the Resident Evil concept into the hands of a couple of highly creative Korean filmmakers? You get Train to Busan, the best zombl movie I have seen yet and one that takes place mostly on a moving train with all it's space confining problems to be solved. It's a respectable level of gory (pretty safe for older kids), it has some action, it has some humor, it has some drama, it has a little of everything. But above else it just has many clever scenes. Some are a bit familiar if you like your zombl flicks but all in all, I find the movie very inventive. 2 hours in which all your emotions are tapped packaged inside some stellar filmmaking.

7.8/10, will watch again.
Old 04 February 2019, 11:38   #2418
DamienD
Global Moderator

Yeah, quite enjoyed Train to Busan also

Oh, watched this about 4 months ago and also very much enjoyed it: Blade of the Immortal.
Old 05 February 2019, 16:03   #2419
Mark36

Watched some classic horrors from my childhood over the weekend. Also watched Bird Box not a bad film.

The Car 1977
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075809/

The Medusa Touch 1978
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077921/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Old 05 February 2019, 17:29   #2420
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark36 View Post
Watched some classic horrors from my childhood over the weekend. Also watched Bird Box not a bad film.

The Car 1977
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075809/

The Medusa Touch 1978
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077921/?ref_=nv_sr_1
It would be nice if you write sentence, two about each.