English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 December 2009, 17:00   #1
superturrican2

AtariST games to Amiga conversions list

Hello!

When I see an Amiga game I often wonder if it is a game made for Atari and later ported/converted to Amiga (The same thing happens to me with MSX and Amstrad games, but here it is easier to recognize conversions from ZX Spectrum!).
For example, I missed MegaTwins/Amiga so I tried it, unfortunately the game is not great, and I discovered that it is a game converted from the AtariST version, made without any improvement/enhancement.

So, Where can I find a list of Amiga games directly converted from AtariST version? (but without any improvements, i.e.: Ghouls 'n' Ghost).

I've searched in the forum but I found a list of exclusive games for the Amiga, what I'm looking for is different!

now I remember the following titles:

Ghouls 'n' Ghost
Mega Twins
Final Fight

Of course, this list is valid only for games made for both platforms!

thanks!

btw:
How can I check if a game was a direct conversion from AtariST? I had thought to proceed like this:
(1) Run the AtariST version and see if the game is really the same in both gameplay and graphics (of course sound never would be).
(2) make a screenshot of the Amiga game and check it with PersonalPaint/PaintShopPro to verify if the number of colors used is <= 16 (while an Amiga game should use typically about 32) (Obviously, being careful to remove any gradients created by the amiga copper).
(3) Check the developer/programmer is the same for both.
(4) Verify that the date of release of the Amiga version is higher than the Atari version.
(5) Search the web for any info about the game =)
Old 31 December 2009, 17:07   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

In Ghost Battle sound is the same in both versions.
Old 31 December 2009, 17:09   #3
Kitty

Not sure if there's a specific website, I also would be interested to know this, im pretty sure that Bullfrog's amiga version of Flood is an ST port though, im sure many more people on eab can name more titles too ;-)
Old 31 December 2009, 17:20   #4
rhester72

I believe the only change to Dungeon Master in the ST->Amiga port was mono->stereo sound.

Rodney
Old 31 December 2009, 17:28   #5
mike4466

Wizball was a straight port from the atari st to the amiga complete with jerky scrolling and crap sound i remember there was a lot people complaining in the computer magazines about this and peter johnson the programmer got his fair share of stick as well.
Old 31 December 2009, 17:55   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I think Altered Beast is the typical direct ST port. Of course, the list of the games, that were released for both Amiga / ST, contains over 2000 titles, so if you want to do an investigation, you could spend the rest of your life with it
Old 31 December 2009, 18:03   #7
superturrican2

hehe

I have noticed this, too ...but maybe we could exclude the poor or very old games for which a native Amiga version was useless.

I personally do not believe that all games released for both are all conversions AtariST-> Amiga.
Old 31 December 2009, 18:26   #8
superturrican2

Another World was programmed on AtariST. It can be a direct conversion since based on the same code.
No Second Prize was programmed on AtariST, too.

Double Dragon 2 seems an AtariST 1:1 conversion.

I believe that games produced by Psygnosis and Core (Leander, BloodMoney) are not direct conversions AtariST->Amiga, maybe Amiga->ST ? =)

Fire & Ice seems to have been developed using the features of each machine. (anyway STE should have blitter and hardware scrolling).

certainly, GoldenAxe is NOT a direct conversion.
I believe the same for CannonFodder, Lemmings, Lotus 1/2/3, Sensible Soccer, Stardust, Trools, Zool, and Ghosts'n'Goblins... they are NOT direct conversions, I suppose...

I have to check these:
AtomicRobo-Kid
BattleChess
BattleSquadron
Deliverance
Formula 1 GP (Microprose)
Gods
Monkey Island
Motorhead
Pang
ParasolStars
RiskyWoods
Rodland
Shadow Dancer
Speedball 1/2
Super Cars 1/2
SWIV
Toki
Zak McKracken
Old 31 December 2009, 20:32   #9
kamelito
Zone Friend

Another world was Amiga at first

Check this out :

http://www.anotherworld.fr/anotherwo...ther_world.htm
The only thing first done on Atari ST was :

"The first thing I did was to write a polygon routine on Atari ST in order to make sure this technique would work. I had already worked at the 68000 assembler for a few months, and after a week of writing, performances were getting right, at about 10 displayed polys per 50 frames per second. That was good enough."
kml

Quote:
Originally Posted by superturrican2 View Post
Another World was programmed on AtariST. It can be a direct conversion since based on the same code.

Double Dragon 2 seems an AtariST 1:1 conversion.

I believe that games produced by Psygnosis and Core (Leander, BloodMoney) are not direct conversions AtariST->Amiga, maybe Amiga->ST ? =)

Fire & Ice seems to have been developed using the features of each machine. (anyway STE should have blitter and hardware scrolling).

certainly, GoldenAxe is NOT a direct conversion.
I believe the same for CannonFodder, Lemmings, Lotus 1/2/3, Sensible Soccer, Stardust, Trools, Zool, and Ghosts'n'Goblins... they are NOT direct conversions, I suppose...

I have to check these:
AtomicRobo-Kid
BattleChess
BattleSquadron
Deliverance
Formula 1 GP (Microprose)
Gods
Monkey Island
Motorhead
Pang
ParasolStars
RiskyWoods
Rodland
Shadow Dancer
Speedball 1/2
Super Cars 1/2
SWIV
Toki
Zak McKracken
Old 31 December 2009, 20:36   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Pretty much every early Amiga game that was also on ST was ST first.

Exceptions were Psygnosis, and obviously later Team 17.

1992 onwards and most games led on Amiga.

It'll be a massive list for sure. The Atari ST in a way was very detrimental to the Amiga.

Whilst Ghouls n Ghosts was an ST port, they did actually improve the music for the Amiga version...... its still revered as a classic today.
Old 31 December 2009, 21:46   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
In Ghost Battle sound is the same in both versions.
Not true.

Quote:
Almost all Thalion games were written on the AtariST first and then ported to the Amiga. Almost all Amiga ports were done by one man, musician Jochen Hippel.
Old 31 December 2009, 22:23   #12
s2325
Zone Friend

Can you tell me what is different in ST version? I can not spot the difference, but maybe it's stereo on Amiga or something.
Old 31 December 2009, 22:53   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Erm, they sound totally different.

The Amiga version uses samples and the Atari one is all chip based with a bit of digi-drums.

Listen to them side by side (Deliplayer on Windows or Delitracker on Amiga/WinUAE)

http://thalion.exotica.org.uk/games/...ostbattle.sndh
http://thalion.exotica.org.uk/games/...t_Battle-Intro

It is one of Jochen's best works.
Old 31 December 2009, 23:05   #14
s2325
Zone Friend

Is it possible that there are 2 versions of this game? Maybe for STFM?
Old 02 January 2010, 01:19   #15
superturrican2

Saint Dragon seems to have been developed using Amiga hardware, other than ported from AtariST.

R-Type 1 seems an AtariST port, while R-Type 2 not.
X-Out seems an AtariST port, while Z-Out not.
Old 02 January 2010, 04:55   #16
xaind

I believe the Amiga version of Heroes of the Lance is a port of the Atari ST code.

The loader program sets up the exception vector table so that certain functions (loading data from disk, for example) are called from the main program via a 68000 TRAP instruction. I've heard that system functions are accessed through TRAPs in the ST operating system, and I'm fairly certain that using TRAP wasn't very common on the Amiga, which makes me suspect they just used a lot of the source from the ST version directly in the Amiga version without modification.
Old 11 January 2010, 20:28   #17
Nekto

Quote:
So, Where can I find a list of Amiga games directly converted from AtariST version? (but without any improvements, i.e.: Ghouls 'n' Ghost).
I suppose almost all games that were released on Atari ST in 1985-1986 and Amiga are such ports. So these should be checked first.
Old 11 January 2010, 21:04   #18
jotd
This cat is no more

Gods, Magic Pockets, Cadaver, Xenon 2, Speedball 2, Chaos Engine ... all bitmap bros games were created first on the ST so only 16 fixed colors used !! sounds incredible but that's true. Coleman & Malone did some very good job and master their palette perfectly.
In Gods, the palette vary slightly between levels, but still 16 colors only (except for the rainbow effect of course).

I don't know about the sound, though, but the visuals are identical on ST/Amiga/PC (except for Chaos Engine AA)
Old 11 January 2010, 23:35   #19
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Saint Dragon seems to have been developed using Amiga hardware, other than ported from AtariST.

R-Type 1 seems an AtariST port, while R-Type 2 not.
X-Out seems an AtariST port, while Z-Out not.
X-out and z-out are amiga first. I own the atari ST version of them both, and they are downgraded versions from the amiga