English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 June 2004, 12:40   #1
Runey
Survivor

GameBaseAMY beta released

I have released a very very beta version of GameBaseAMY for people to have a look at and comment. While it works, at least on my computer , it's not meant for general use.

One thing that is oviously wrong is all the game information. To do it justice I am going to have to make some major changes to the backend of GameBase, which will take time.

However if you follow the install instruction and have all the relevant file, the three configured game should work. There is also music to listen to and screenshots to view.

The games configured are Defender of the Crown, Gods and Chaos Engine 2. So there is one game which uses each chipset OCS, ECS and AGA.

You can get the file from the website (www.gamebaseamy.com) or directly from this link http://members.ozemail.com.au/~runey/GameBaseAMY_beta.zip

Thanks and flame away
Old 13 June 2004, 16:21   #2
jmmijo

Nice thanks for the info and the link
Old 13 June 2004, 18:32   #3
Mangar
Got the fever back

Just a note for those that try the very early beta.

You will need to download and install Gamebase v1.0 which can be found at www.bu22.com

Unzip the beta to your gamebase directory. The only things you will need to change to get it work the way it was meant to is to change the Paths for the games, music and screenshots. You will also need to configure Your winuae directory(I think) and your music player directory. I recommend deliplayer or Midas.
Old 13 June 2004, 18:49   #4
oldpx

You also have to place the ADFs in winuae/games which was too much for me :/

Old 13 June 2004, 18:54   #5
Mangar
Got the fever back

Actually, in the bottom left corner where it shows the filename of the game you can click on that and select your path for the game file.
Old 13 June 2004, 18:59   #6
oldpx

But we still need a modifiable default game path, and sub folder support. I have the complete games -adf tosec, complete applications - tosec and all others are complete from previous tosec versions. They can't be placed in one directory, or moved somewhere else. I need a conventional way. This early version doesn't cause a problem but shows some signs.

Old 13 June 2004, 19:31   #7
Mangar
Got the fever back

This is something we're aware of when it comes to releasing something like this to the masses. At the moment you can modify your games Path and add multiple paths in the paths option in the tools menu.

There is also an option to verify files in the paths that you selected. It can be found in the tools menu. I havent tested it yet to verify that it will change every games path to the one it detects but I hope it works that way because it would make things simpler. Remember, this project started on June 4th.
Old 13 June 2004, 22:30   #8
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
WOOOW!
If this goes on like this, this is really going to be my new permanent task for spare time!
Even in the current state, there would be a possibility to hack in loads and loads of game names, assign them to TOSEC files and load them in the emulator.
Christ, this thing is addictive as hell to fiddle around with!

Great job Runey!

The details of the method how those config settings are managed still escape me currently though...

Caveats
It may become a LOT of work to re-configure GameBase if you expect name changes with TOSEC files in future TOSEC releases. (unless you want to edit all of them by hand then... )
Rough idea [very alpha!]: use a TOSEC DAT as an import file to update your current GameBase. [via reading out and comparing CRCs]

Last edited by andreas; 13 June 2004 at 22:56.
Old 13 June 2004, 22:44   #9
oldpx

Quote:
Remember, this project started on June 4th.
Sure, and it's going very well. I don't mean otherwise.
I always wanted something like this

Old 13 June 2004, 22:57   #10
Mangar
Got the fever back

Andreas,

It already has the ability to load the Romcenter dats. Runey just wanted to put out something to show you guys what it would look like. Its just a matter of importing the Amiga Tosec dat and cleaning it up.

Burseg,

I've always wanted something like this too. Which is why I'm been messing around with it off and on for 5 years. I'm glad James Burrows was able to add some features for me which make doing the Amiga version a lot easier.
Old 14 June 2004, 02:24   #11
Runey
Survivor

Thanks everybody for your feedback.

Don't praise me too much Andreas. All I really did was put together everybody elses hard work. Though it took me this long because I wanted to understand what I was actually throwing together.
The problem with paths is being looked at. The main reason this 'version' puts the games inside the WinUAE directory is because WinUAE can handle relative paths where GameBase cannot. That's one thing I need to look at. If I can change GameBase so it can handle relative paths then that will help some problems.

I also have to change the way GameBase handles games over multiple disks. Currently it can't understand the TOSEC naming convention and therefore only recognises one disk. I've cheated to get the beta version working

Well I think Mangar answered all the other questions / feedback. Oh and you can thank him for the incredible script that makes this whole thing work

Keep that feedback coming. The more the better.
Old 14 June 2004, 04:23   #12
Mangar
Got the fever back

No need to thank me. The script was nothing. I do however have an idea to simplify how GamebaseAMY loads settings for each game. It will require some work but if it works all you would need to do is enter which machine (i.e.A500,A1200,A1000,etc) is required for the game to run.

With Toni splitting the configuration file between Hardware and Host settings I can hope for the day when I will never have to change settings again. That and having the manuals, cheats, scans, reviews, and music all at your fingertips for each game is the main reason why I want to see this done. A one-stop shop for all your Amiga gaming needs.
Old 14 June 2004, 04:27   #13
Runey
Survivor

Had the same idea Mangar

Talking to James about making changes to the GameBase backend so it's more flexible in that regard.

However there should be ways of doing that using GameBase the way it is too.
Old 14 June 2004, 04:59   #14
Mangar
Got the fever back

I believe it's possible using the scripting language. Let me know if you and James come up with anything different. If not, I'll re-write the script and see how it works.
Old 15 June 2004, 00:30   #15
Dalai

Hmm, looks promising. I like the way screenshots and music for each game can be made available. I had to configure about 100 paths, then got stumped on configuring the emulator, since I couldn't look at your settings to see how everything needed to be and couldn't run your settings since the path to the emulator was wrong.

Presumably you'll make all this automatic, with the end users just having to pick their Winuae.exe or folder when installing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangar
It will require some work but if it works all you would need to do is enter which machine (i.e.A500,A1200,A1000,etc) is required for the game to run.
Is this something like the configs at BTTR, where they have configs for each machine? This doesn't work 100% because of all the strange settings some games need to play properly which aren't necessarily machine specific but rather specific to the game and emulator.
Old 15 June 2004, 09:31   #16
Runey
Survivor

Hey Dalai, glad you like it

The paths are a problem and there are several solutions being looked at. Of course a more mature release will be easier to set up.

As for configs. Still being looked at, everything is fluid at this stage . There is only one config. This config is modified on the fly for the individual games. Intially there will be a set of standard options (e.g. A1000, A500, A500+, A1200) which will hopefully work for 90% of games. Games that cause problems can have individual settings tweaked (e.g. Maybe needs fastram or more chipram).

Apart from hardware settings we will need to look at user specific setting. Such as joystick, keyboards etc. Again there are many ways of doing this and all options are being looked at.

It's my plan to release several betas over time so we can iron out all the bugs before a 'fully working' version is released. The betas will only ever contain around 3 games in them for size and simplicity.

Game testing is going to begin soon. If I ever get time to finalise the testing procedures. Whilst other contributers are helping out with the game testing, I will be looking at fixing some of the problems already mentioned. Paths will probably be first along with installers to simplify the setup process.

Also there is a new version of WinUAE coming out (soon?) GameBaseAMY will probably only be compatabile with that release onwards in the future. This is because it handles configs differently.

Oh and Mangar those changes to the GameBase backend are going to be massive (or as James put it biiig biiiig biiiiig ). Being able to get GEMUS to see that information is not so much the problem as is the fact that there just simply isn't room for it at this stage. hmm I just had a thought. I could probably do a tack on specifically for GameBaseAMY rather than a complete rewrite as I had planned. At least then the information would be there but any other emulator (e.g. GameBaseST) couldn't see it. Still a big job, but a lot smaller than what I had planned. hmmm I'll think about it.

Anyway it will still probably be the last thing done as it will probably take months of programming and beta testing. Paths, installation, scripts and configs first I think.

Anyway I'm babbling
Old 15 June 2004, 13:56   #17
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
There is only one config. This config is modified on the fly for the individual games.
Well, my memory tells me that there's some command-line options working even for WinUAE. So ideally, you wouldn't need to use ANY configuration file, merely a huge sequence of command-line options.

Hmm ... I had a quick look at Toni's latest source tree but unlike a couple of builds before, the entire docs tree is removed.
You will not find the full list of command line options unless in the Linux UAE docs.

Attached is the file 'README' from original (!) UAE 0.8.22 by Bernd Schmidt.
Look for "Invoking UAE" (Line #124 ff.), these options should work with WinUAE as well!
Attached Files
File Type: txt README-original.txt (43.2 KB, 882 views)

Last edited by andreas; 15 June 2004 at 14:24.
Old 15 June 2004, 15:33   #18
Mangar
Got the fever back

Sounds good Runey. Excited to see what changes to the frontend you have in store. Maybe we can throw some ideas around.

Btw, what should I be doing now. Re-writing the script? Or will we wait till you decide what changes your making to the frontend?
Old 15 June 2004, 23:54   #19
Runey
Survivor

Thanks for the link andreas.

Mangar I'm just working a a set of 'rules' for doing the game testing etc. I've had a couple of people volunteer their services in that area. I want to get something out before they change their minds I'll send that to you for comment when I'm done. also the changes to the website.

If you feel that the configs being used in the new WinUAE are not likely to change then re-writing the scripts would be good. Otherwise probably best to leave it or else you'll just be doing it all over again.

I've had some new ideas for GameBase too. Just too many thing to think about. Well once the game testing etc has truly began hopefully I can concentrate on that side of things more.
Old 16 June 2004, 03:00   #20
Mangar
Got the fever back

Looking forward to it Runey.Let me know whenever its done.

I'll wait until Toni releases the next version of winuae before re-doing the script.

As for the games testing, once I get the complete Tosec set I'll work a lot on that. It's probably the thing I enjoy the most. Testing games. Coming across titles you havent seen in years. Good stuff.

Anyways, keep me posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runey
Thanks for the link andreas.

Mangar I'm just working a a set of 'rules' for doing the game testing etc. I've had a couple of people volunteer their services in that area. I want to get something out before they change their minds I'll send that to you for comment when I'm done. also the changes to the website.

If you feel that the configs being used in the new WinUAE are not likely to change then re-writing the scripts would be good. Otherwise probably best to leave it or else you'll just be doing it all over again.

I've had some new ideas for GameBase too. Just too many thing to think about. Well once the game testing etc has truly began hopefully I can concentrate on that side of things more.