English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 08 December 2002, 12:56   #1
Marcuz
Wurk???

the 3 games you envied to pc

I was just thinking about how nice would be to play POD (the cars game from ubisoft) on my A1200... expecially the track canyon. i do not find it so absurd when i see so cool 3d demos as the ones that required anyway a winuaeized amiga with 16mb jit etc to run faster than a tortoise... or i do?
but this, and my pod dream, would take you off the way.
with the 3 games you envied to the pc i mean stuff of the early '90, pieces that maybe pulled you up to sell/give away your amiga.
i'm not sure if this has already been asked, if so, ashes on my head... well feel free too to say the games that you envied to other machines!

mine were:
ultima 7
ultima underworld
and a FMV - investigation game on X-Files of wich i do not remember the name...

there was also Cyber Quest for virtuality 1000, a vr machine i think. i've got just a screenshot of that but was inspiring...
Old 08 December 2002, 13:15   #2
Drake1009

I didn't have an Amiga until a couple of years ago. I was with my C128 until I got a PC. I envied my friends who had Amigas while I didn't.

I actually stuck with my C128 for a good deal of time, and it wasn't games which made me change to PC.
Old 08 December 2002, 14:09   #3
NytroX86

At the time I was quite annoyed Settlers 2 didn't come out on the Amiga. I'm not to bothered now since IMO the original is better. Other than that I never really envied PC games at the time my family bought a PC. I can think of another couple of games I did envy though, actually three, and they were all on the Playstation. I overheard my mates talking about Final Fantasy 7, Gran Turismo and Resident Evil 2, which drove me to beg for a Playstation.

Old 08 December 2002, 14:13   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

It was Doom 1&2 for me...

The Amiga Doom clones (great as they were), couldn't really compare at the time.
Old 08 December 2002, 17:39   #5
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NytroX86
At the time I was quite annoyed Settlers 2 didn't come out on the Amiga. I'm not to bothered now since IMO the original is better.
An Amiga conversion of Settlers 2 was attempted by Titan in 1999. They licensed the game from Blue Byte, but the conversion fell in a heap because Blue Byte wouldn't provide any meaningful source code for the PC/Mac versions. Real pity! You can read more about what happened here:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...437/amiset.htm
Old 08 December 2002, 17:45   #6
oldpx

Eye of the beholder 3 for me. Though the game isn't as good as Eob 2.

Old 08 December 2002, 19:21   #7
kriz

There were some games that i would have liked to play, like eob3 for
example ... But i never sold/gave away my amiga, i still use it daily.

Still doesnt own a pc that works ..
Old 08 December 2002, 19:36   #8
Marcuz
Wurk???

yeah! eye of the beholder 3 was'nt great as its predecessors but that screenshots you could have seen on magazines back then were so cool: the big open air area, dragons...
btw do you remember the end of eob 2, where you gaze through a crystall ball and scope a town (waterdeep?) maraudered by swooping dragons? that was the idea of westwood for the 3. alas, they came out with that clone on pc, that was'nt nothing at all, but then again, had cool screenshots on papers that made me envy pc...
Old 08 December 2002, 19:41   #9
oldpx

You just made me remember! There were some parts on EOB2 that I never quite understood like the imprisoned giant near the end of the game who turns into dust (?), a mysterious ring you find at that level, Dran's dying cleric's special ankh and another prisoner named alain. I always wondered if alain or that giant could join the party.

Old 08 December 2002, 20:13   #10
Akira

PCs have this game where randomly the screen goes blue and prints some babble... I never seen anyone winning it, they always had to reset their computer. I *always* envied that one man!

And the "let's install this card and let's hope we have no IRQ conflicts" game was real fun too!
Old 08 December 2002, 21:01   #11
Marcuz
Wurk???

@Burseg
in order (if my memory is right...):
the giant that crumble to dust was the king of giants that dran enslaved and when you get rid of them he happily joins them in death
the ring was to put in a carving on a wall to open it
was'nt the ank for a paladine (golden and green)?
alain (the dwarf thief?) was just another victim of the wrath of the mean guy? i think they all just served the purpose of show how much terrible he was... but you already know it all

@Akira: LOL! but in amiga too at the time i owned games that misteriously go black and flashing red! today too but part of the mistery is gone and did i mentioned early that i've scrambled an A500 trying to fit in improperly a 1,5 mb expansion? but that was my fault...
Old 08 December 2002, 21:06   #12
Djay
aka breakpoint

mine are..

eye of the beholder 3
doom (although someone has done it now)
Old 08 December 2002, 21:48   #13
oldpx

Yes Marco. The color of the ankh was different, making it's function seem ambigious though it worked just like a paladin/cleric one and I remember I had found some use of that ring after all

Alain was an elf, as far as I remember he was blind and credited as "alain the mysterious one" at the credits. The little thief was insal the halfling I encountered alain only once in his cell, maybe it wasn't necessary to find him to finish the game. I don't remember where he was exacylt but migh be somewhere around the medusa/undead spirit levels.

Old 09 December 2002, 00:33   #14
Marcuz
Wurk???

@burseg: yep this is getting me too happily far off topic i promise the next week (i'm home just on weekends) i'll check my old stack of magazines to see if i find a walkthrough for eob2. i want to know better about this misterious guy.

@djay: me too i played hours to doom where i was conscienctious objector(!) and they let me use the pc... by then i grew to hate it (and the military service/coscience objection)
Old 09 December 2002, 00:37   #15
oldpx

this page has some information on alain if you'd like to discover it this way

Old 09 December 2002, 00:39   #16
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
LOL my game has to be "SHOUT FOUL ABUSE AT THE PC"
wins everytime when the evil DR KILL-LOCAL-NETWORK pops up and wipes my network neighbourhood ip's out and each pc cant see what the other is foofin doing

You know no i think of it i have never envied anything but the amiga when i owned a speccy and a c64 all those years ago! i have never had the same feelings for anything else pc or console gamey...
Old 09 December 2002, 02:35   #17
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

For me....

Wing Commander 2. The Amiga should have ad the sequel dammit!
Elite: First Encounters. Buggy crap i know, but i would have liked the texture mapping. (The option should have been there on Froniter also)
Doom. Nuff said.
Old 09 December 2002, 03:18   #18
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by marco pedrana
@Akira: LOL! but in amiga too at the time i owned games that misteriously go black and flashing red!
I never had that problem, if I had a guru coming up on me I knew why. It was never misteriously happening.

Electro, that game is cool too.. Stress-relieving!
Old 09 December 2002, 12:34   #19
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I got only one misterious guru in my whole life using an Amiga, and it was playing R-Type 2. I was battling the 1st boss when the computer froze, and showed me the red flash thing. This never happened again.

Anyway, the 1st game I saw on PC and made me feel like "AAAHH, I NEED A PC!" was stunts. Then, of course, I found the game was out for amiga too

Then came Sim City 2000. When I first played the PC game, the Amiga version was already out too, but it asked too much for my humble A600. That was a game that I REALLY wanted to play.

Can't remember any other. Hmm.. GP2 maybe..
Old 09 December 2002, 12:35   #20
manicx

Mmmm! Mine was Doom and Quake. Glad that both made it on the miggy.