English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 29 December 2015, 16:20   #1
yesplease

Problem running Archon

Hi guys,
played a loads of A-games during christmas. But I have to report that one of our oldest and all favorites "archon I" (from ECA/Freefall) is not working anymore (in fact it did before, maybe one year or so the last time I played it). I started the version from the launcher, where it does all the config automatically (A1000 KS1.2 chipram512). I used the recent dev version 2.7.6. It loads to the intro sound and picture, shortly after that it crashes. I tried precision high and medium. It worked before. Is it maybe the new winuae-core ? Can I downgrade to an older version from last year without destroying the launcher
databases?

nonetheless happy new year !!

Update: i got another adf file from games archive also that compilation of the three games archon1 one and one and archon 2 in one ADF with the difference that in its filename it mentioned to be compatible with Ks1.3. Started it explicitly with manual settings (no automatic) and that one worked. Strange that the version from oadg stopped working with recent fs-uae. Or are the settings/config for archon corrupt in oadb?

Last edited by yesplease; 30 December 2015 at 10:48.
Old 01 January 2016, 19:04   #2
jbl007

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
Or are the settings/config for archon corrupt in oadb?
Possible. Which game variant do you have exactly? Link: http://oagd.net/amiga/archon/edit Looks like at least the "ADF, GameBase" variant has missing amiga_model/kickstart keys. Or perhaps it just works with the default A500/kick1.3 config, I don't know.
The AmiSectorOne variant works fine auto-configured via oagd.

Edit: No, the GameBase variant does not work with A500 setting. I changed amiga_model to A1000. I guess a moderator needs to approve the change first until it will be used.

Last edited by jbl007; 01 January 2016 at 19:27.
Old 11 January 2016, 23:51   #3
yesplease

[QUOTE=FrodeSolheim;1060163]The change was approved a few days ago, so the gamebase variant should work out of the box now, thanks

strange it (Disk 1.adf (sha1://4c915112443b97e2b5dac15e90815c7f97d234b5)) does not work. It does take now the config A1000 kick12 but nevertheless it crashes after playing some music of the intro with a guru meditation... (shortly before the crash the music seems to stall. e.g. the tones play too long, maybe sound issue? )

but when I "manually" take and configure the version "Archon & Archon 2 (1986)(Electronic Arts) & One on One (1992)(Scorpius)[Kick1.3 patched by Miami Bass]" from games archive, it works flawless.

I am quite sure the oadg version did work some years ago, but not 100%, maybe 99,8%

Last edited by yesplease; 15 January 2016 at 22:28.
Old 12 January 2016, 00:08   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Floppy with SHA-1 4c915112... is the AmiSectorOne variant. That one (along with all the other ones from OAGD) work fine for me with FS-UAE 2.7.6dev. Please post fs-uae.log.txt..
Old 15 January 2016, 22:26   #5
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Floppy with SHA-1 4c915112... is the AmiSectorOne variant. That one (along with all the other ones from OAGD) work fine for me with FS-UAE 2.7.6dev. Please post fs-uae.log.txt..
Hi Frode,
here is the log. Do you need something else ?
Attached Files
File Type: zip fs-uae.log.txt.zip (10.5 KB, 61 views)
Old 16 January 2016, 12:46   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

You have mouse integration enabled (mouse integration = 1 in advanced settings, I presume). This seems to interfere with this game. Remove it and try again.

Note: It is not a very good idea to have options affecting emulation (and all configurations) in advanced settings... -I'll probably blacklist this option from being used in advanced settings. It should be added on a per-configuration basis instead.
Old 16 January 2016, 14:14   #7
yesplease

Quote:
You have mouse integration enabled (mouse integration = 1 in advanced settings, I presume). This seems to interfere with this game. Remove it and try again.

Note: It is not a very good idea to have options affecting emulation (and all configurations) in advanced settings... -I'll probably blacklist this option from being used in advanced settings. It should be added on a per-configuration basis instead.

That solved it. Removed setting "mouse integration = 1" and now it works.

MouseIntegration was a nice feature though. How could it be possible that it did interfere with Archon ?
Old 16 January 2016, 14:17   #8
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

If I recall correctly, mouse integration works by directly poking (Amiga) system data structures (setting/overwriting the Workbench mouse pointer system), so it isn't really surprising that this can mess up "non-system-friendly software".
Old 16 January 2016, 14:31   #9
yesplease

Quote:
If I recall correctly, mouse integration works by directly poking (Amiga) system data structures (setting/overwriting the Workbench mouse pointer system), so it isn't really surprising that this can mess up "non-system-friendly software".
Nice ! Nevertheless, still wondering how you did find the cause !!