English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 19 July 2013, 22:00   #261
bcripon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dic_Ray View Post
Update: It works also under Mac OS X Mountain Lion. There is only a Problem, that the FS-UAE Game Center doesn't get the Focus. So I had to use cmd+tab to switch to the right window.
I am assuming you upgraded to ML. That way, Apple's X11 would still be available to you if you installed it previously. I was having problems so I did a clean install. In that case, only XQuartz (http://xquartz.macosforge.org) is a possibility if you still need X11. As I recall, I could not even install X11 under ML. I could be mistaken about that though.

However, XQuartz installs under /opt instead of /usr/bin. That is correct since it is not supplied by Apple. Unfortunately, it also means that you get that "X11 is not installed" message since pygame is not finding X11 in the /usr/bin directory.

There are instructions on compiling pygame under ML at: http://www.pygame.org/wiki/MacCompile, but I am not sure that Frode will want to do that to his system since he would then have Apple's X11 plus XQuartz. I would think that could cause conflicts for him.

Thankfully, I can run FS-UAE and the launcher without worrying about pygame. I just wanted to try out Game Center to see if it would only show the games I own rather than all of the possible games in the online database.

Bob C
Old 19 July 2013, 23:05   #262
Dic_Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcripon View Post
I am assuming you upgraded to ML. That way, Apple's X11 would still be available to you if you installed it previously. I was having problems so I did a clean install. In that case, only XQuartz (http://xquartz.macosforge.org) is a possibility if you still need X11. As I recall, I could not even install X11 under ML. I could be mistaken about that though.
I bought a new MacBook Pro Retina 15,4" on April, the 6th. After some Problems with BootCamp and Windows 8 I did a complete clean install via Apples online recovery install. So Mountain Lion is as clean as it could be. I guess I got a hint to intall X11 and did so. FS-UAE Game Center works together with my USB Competition Pro Joystick.
Old 20 July 2013, 02:16   #263
bcripon

Thanks for the information. I will see how I can install X11 on ML. I have loaded XQuartz as soon as I installed ML. Unfortunately, FS-UAE does not see it. I have not seen how to get FS-UAE to see it as X11.

Bob C

Last edited by bcripon; 20 July 2013 at 04:07.
Old 20 July 2013, 11:03   #264
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Frode,

Is there a way to hide the games in the online database that are not on my system? I like the "click to download" functionality in the new launcher but, for me, most of the time I simply want the list to show the games that I have on my system.

Since I am not someone who has hundreds of Amiga games loaded, I would rather not have to search for the game or browse through the other games to remember if I have "game x" or not.
Not yet, but rather easy to add (soon)

Quote:
Also, I am unable to run FS-UAE Game Center. It says I need to load X11. Unfortunately, it will not recognize XQuartz (the open source version of X11) that is the only X11 option allowed in 10.8. Since you compile on 10.6, as I recall, you still can have X11 on your system. Bob C
Do you have a screenshot of the (missing X11) error message?

Regarding the Launcher joystick dialog, does this happen with 2.2.3 as well, -or only with the development version?

It isn't supposed to depend on X (and it doesn't directly at least), so there must then be some X11 dependency in a library (most likely pygame as have been mentioned here already).
Old 20 July 2013, 11:51   #265
arokh

FS-UAE runs really great on Linux with 50Hz refresh rate. Very nice emulator Just one small feature request, could there be a floppy selector in the OSD instead of having to put all the ADF's you want in the config file?

Oh, and a KMS/EGL or libretro port would be cool too!

Old 20 July 2013, 15:26   #266
bcripon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Not yet, but rather easy to add (soon)
Sounds good. Thanks.

Quote:
Do you have a screenshot of the (missing X11) error message?

Regarding the Launcher joystick dialog, does this happen with 2.2.3 as well, -or only with the development version?

It isn't supposed to depend on X (and it doesn't directly at least), so there must then be some X11 dependency in a library (most likely pygame as have been mentioned here already).
I have attached the screenshot to this message. When you click "Continue", it takes you to an Apple support article which states the following:
X11 is not included with Mountain Lion, but X11 server and client libraries for OS X Mountain Lion are available from the XQuartz project: http://xquartz.macosforge.org. You should use XQuartz version 2.7.2 or later.

Additional Information

Apple created the XQuartz project as a community effort to further develop and support X11 on OS X. The XQuartz project was originally based on the version of X11 included in Mac OS X v10.5, and there have been multiple releases with fixes, support for new OS X features, and additional refinements to the X11 experience. Many of these enhancements were included in X11 for Mac OS X v10.6 and OS X Lion. Apple is a contributor to the XQuartz project and has worked to ensure that X11 works as expected in OS X Mountain Lion with XQuartz 2.7.2 or later.
Regarding the Launcher joystick dialog, yes, I get the same error in 2.2.3 and I saw it in the development versions leading up to 2.2.3. I mentioned something about it here, but I let it drop quickly since it was not critical to me. It happened once I upgraded from 10.7 Lion and went to 10.8 Mountain Lion. At that point, Apple's X11 was no longer available.

I should mention that I have already installed XQuartz. I am running the current version (2.7.4). I did that almost as soon as I upgraded to Mountain Lion last year. I mentioned pygame earlier because the wiki appears to mention compiling under ML as an issue. I have other software that works fine with XQuartz.

Bob C
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X11 needed screenshot.png
Views:	180
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	36132  
Old 20 July 2013, 16:51   #267
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I think I have found the issue with the X11 dependency:

Code:
otool -L FS-UAE\ Launcher.app/Contents/Frameworks/SDL_ttf.framework/SDL_ttf 
FS-UAE Launcher.app/Contents/Frameworks/SDL_ttf.framework/SDL_ttf:
	@executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL_ttf.framework/Versions/A/SDL_ttf (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.20.0)
	@executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 123.0.0)
In other words, it does not use X11 as such, but it depends on the the freetype library being available as /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib. I assume then that the OS X loader intercepts this and shows a custom "error" dialog (X11 must be installed) when a library is not found in /usr/X11/lib.

So, for some reason, SDL_ttf (used by pygame) is linked with /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib instead of libfreetype being bundled with the app. Might be a "py2app" issue, or something else. Should be possible to fix anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by arokh View Post
FS-UAE runs really great on Linux with 50Hz refresh rate. Very nice emulator Just one small feature request, could there be a floppy selector in the OSD instead of having to put all the ADF's you want in the config file?
There could be (and it is a relatively frequent request), just not on the top of the priority list!

Quote:
Oh, and a KMS/EGL or libretro port would be cool too!
KMS/EGL, perhaps later, if it want to play with that Mixing FS-UAE with libretro sounds unlikely. I have written something about that earlier (search for libretro in the FS-UAE forum).

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 20 July 2013 at 17:00.
Old 20 July 2013, 18:42   #268
bcripon

Quote:
I think I have found the issue with the X11 dependency:

Code:
otool -L FS-UAE\ Launcher.app/Contents/Frameworks/SDL_ttf.framework/SDL_ttf 
FS-UAE Launcher.app/Contents/Frameworks/SDL_ttf.framework/SDL_ttf:
	@executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL_ttf.framework/Versions/A/SDL_ttf (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.20.0)
	@executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 123.0.0)
In other words, it does not use X11 as such, but it depends on the the freetype library being available as /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib. I assume then that the OS X loader intercepts this and shows a custom "error" dialog (X11 must be installed) when a library is not found in /usr/X11/lib.

So, for some reason, SDL_ttf (used by pygame) is linked with /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib instead of libfreetype being bundled with the app. Might be a "py2app" issue, or something else. Should be possible to fix anyway
Frode,

Thank you for looking into this. I did some more investigation after Dic_Ray mentioned that XQuartz was working for him. I found a problem where there was a residue of Apple's X11 on my system. It was enough to work for some things, but not FS-UAE. I probably tried installing Apple's X11 first before finding out that it was not supported on Mountain Lion. Anyway, after I removed the remnants from /usr and re-installed XQuartz, the proper symlink was created between /opt/X11 and /usr/X11.

After that was done, I was able to bring up the gamepad/joystick setup for the first time since I upgraded to ML. I am also able to run FS-UAE Game Center as well. I wanted to see if Game Center only showed the games active on my system. I see that it shows all the games like the Launcher.

If you can remove the X11 dependency, that would be great. However, installing XQuartz seems to be enough to make everything work. If you do not need the gamepad/joystick setup, then you do not need X11 at all.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that scanning files and configurations is a lot faster than in the stable 2.2 series. The kickstart scan was always fast. However, the online game database download was painfully slow before. Now, it only takes my system a couple of minutes to scan.

Bob C
Old 20 July 2013, 23:55   #269
bcripon

Error saving custom settings in 2.3.3u1

Frode,

I have been trying to add scanlines = 1 to the custom settings window. However, it does not save the setting so it is there the next time I run FS-UAE. Also, I have noticed that if I click on the red window close button instead of the Close button at the bottom of the settings window, I get the error message that I have attached to this message.

As always, thanks for your help.

Bob C
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FS-UAE error message.png
Views:	194
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	36135  
Old 21 July 2013, 21:27   #270
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Frode,

I have been trying to add scanlines = 1 to the custom settings window. However, it does not save the setting so it is there the next time I run FS-UAE. Also, I have noticed that if I click on the red window close button instead of the Close button at the bottom of the settings window, I get the error message that I have attached to this message.

As always, thanks for your help.

Bob C
Thanks for the bug report -Closing the dialog window with the window frame button will work in the next development version!

Setting scanlines = 1 should work, but it will not be displayed in the custom settings dialog when you re-open it because there is a GUI widget for it in preferences which "swallows" this setting. Open Preferences and "Filters & Scaling"

Oh, and the bogus X11 dependency should be gone in the next development version as well. When building pygame, an installed SDL_ttf.framework was picked up instead of SDL_ttf from pygame. It has probably always been like this... and probably not noticed because most people likely have had X installed and/or not used the joystick config tool. Anyway, I have made sure that correct SDL_ttf version is found and bundled for the next version!
Old 21 July 2013, 23:18   #271
bcripon

Quote:
Thanks for the bug report -Closing the dialog window with the window frame button will work in the next development version!
Thanks!

Quote:
Setting scanlines = 1 should work, but it will not be displayed in the custom settings dialog when you re-open it because there is a GUI widget for it in preferences which "swallows" this setting. Open Preferences and "Filters & Scaling"
I have even set the option there before. I do not know why I thought I needed to add it as a custom setting.

Quote:
Oh, and the bogus X11 dependency should be gone in the next development version as well.
If you need this tested in the next release, let me know. I can simply delete the symlink and recreate it after testing.

Bob C
Old 22 July 2013, 10:49   #272
arokh

Quote:
KMS/EGL, perhaps later, if it want to play with that Mixing FS-UAE with libretro sounds unlikely. I have written something about that earlier (search for libretro in the FS-UAE forum).
I just tried RetroArch with KMS/EGL output and the difference from X11 is amazing. Input lag is non existant and scrolling is perfect even with heavy shaders. If FS-UAE could run on KMS it would make it the best Amiga emulation experience on any platform

Old 03 August 2013, 15:59   #273
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
I just tried RetroArch with KMS/EGL output and the difference from X11 is amazing. Input lag is non existant and scrolling is perfect even with heavy shaders. If FS-UAE could run on KMS it would make it the best Amiga emulation experience on any platform
I don't know what system you are running, or how RetroArch is implemented, but here are some points:
  • There isn't a good reason why an X-less version would be much better.
  • One reason for playing with KMS would be to have better control of scanout - especially when *not* using OpenGL, as one can render directly into the (next) scanout buffer and can better estimate how to minimize lag (since emulation can be "delayed" / better spread over the frame time - when the emulated frame is done, there's no OpenGL stuff which needs to be done, and the video frame can be ready for scanout immediately.
  • When using direct OpenGL rendering, X isn't really in the way. And when having X set up with a refresh rate of 50 Hz and FS-UAE can then sync to vblank, you'll have perfect scrolling in FS-UAE already. KMS/EGL won't make that better.
  • Input lag: Well, key presses are sent through the X server, and there is surely *some* delay there, but I don't know if it is significant. Joystick events on the other hand is not sent through X, but comes from the Linux kernel "directly" (through SDL), so removing X from the equation will not help here...
So if there's a lag / smooth scrolling problem with FS-UAE, perhaps there's an issue with your setup? Try turning of desktop compositing and/or run FS-UAE in fullscreen to ensure direct rendering.

Regarding input lag, I've been planning to split video rendering into it's own thread, to allow events (such as joystick events) to be processed more immediately. We're still just talking about potential improvements in the "handful milliseconds" range here.
Old 18 August 2013, 23:45   #274
Amiten
Banned

Video export

Congratulations FrodeSolheim for this awesome emulator I actually use in My Hackintosh Box and goes very Cool.

But is there any option for Grab Amiga screen in a Video Format like the out-put Winuae video export option?

Thanks.
Old 19 August 2013, 00:06   #275
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiten View Post
Congratulations FrodeSolheim for this awesome emulator I actually use in My Hackintosh Box and goes very Cool.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiten View Post
But is there any option for Grab Amiga screen in a Video Format like the out-put Winuae video export option?
There's no video-saving feature (and none is planned right now either) :-/

On a brighter note, 2.3.4 is more or less ready, including support for multiple mice (2 player Lemmings anyone? ).
Old 19 August 2013, 21:53   #276
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Version 2.3.4:

* Support for multiple mice using ManyMouse library by Ryan C. Gordon.
* New theme bundled: led-bars-edge.
* Support for some theme digit overlays (cylinder numbers, fps).
* Initial code for input recording.
* Fixed a bug when looking up executable path on Unix-like systems.
* When quitting from fullscreen mode, move cursor to bottom right (so transitioning to a full-screen launcher looks nicer).
* (Launcher) Support multiple mice.
* (Launcher) Preference to show downloadable games or not.
* (Launcher) Don't try to to checksum OS X/*BSD device nodes [vext01].
* (Launcher) Fixed bug when closing the config dialog.
* (Launcher) Support 7z archives when the 7z program is found on PATH.
* (Launcher) Joystick config tool works with devices having axes with negative or positive rest values.
* (Launcher) Don't display "Amiga" in game list, only other platform names.
* (Launcher) More restructuring and smaller changes (no changelog...)
* (Game Center) Only show locally available games.
* (Game Center) Only preselect the highest rated variant from local variants.
* (Game Center) Nicer transition to FS-UAE (remove/reduce cursor flickering).
* (Game Center) Use LSUIPresentationMode 4 for bundled FS-UAE for seamless transition to FS-UAE on OS X.

Download here: http://fs-uae.net/download-devel

For Windows, there's been some slight changes to the distribution:
- FS-UAE, FS-UAE Launcher and FS-UAE Game Center are all available as either zip-files or executable installers.
- The suite-exe is an installer which include and installs all three beforementioned installers at once.
- The suite-zip file includes all three projects pre-configured to run in "portable mode".

For OS X there has also been some changes:
- You have individual .tar.gz for all three projects, but both FS-UAE Launcher and FS-UAE Game Center contains an embedded copy of FS-UAE.app - so all three apps are basically self-contained.
- The suite-tar.gz file includes FS-UAE Launcher and FS-UAE Game Center pre-configured to run in "portable mode".

Updated Ubuntu packages are now finally available in the development ppa again (fs-uae, fs-uae-launcher and fs-uae-game-center) - Packages for other Linux distros are not up-to-date due to lack of time to maintain them

One really nice feature of 2.3.4 is support for multiple mice! But even if you're not interested in more than one mouse, the new mouse driver may perform better for you (no mouse acceleration, and possibly less input lag). The old "Mouse" device is the same as before, but in addition you'll see new mouse devices (with real device names, e.g. Microsoft Microsoft 5-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)) - and these use the new mouse driver. For more information, read http://fs-uae.net/mouse-input

For the game database, you can now choose to hide downloadable games in FS-UAE Launcher - and FS-UAE Game Center only (always) shows locally available games.

Due to restructuring efforts, there may be bugs or regressions in this version. If you find any problem, please report it

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 20 August 2013 at 00:20. Reason: Updated with new download URL
Old 20 August 2013, 05:48   #277
bcripon

Frode,

I just tried 2.3.4 briefly this evening. Thanks for adding the additional options on the game database. This makes my FS-UAE list much more manageable. I also confirmed that the X11 dependency on the joystick setup is gone. I temporarily deleted my symbolic link on /usr/X11 and the joystick configuration still popped up.

While playing a couple of games, I noticed the FS-UAE drive lights were always on when using my theme. I did not notice this in the previous version. I tried both a recent Amiga freeware game (Asgard met Vikings) and Blood Money. I saw the drive behavior on both games.

I have not tried out the new mouse input yet. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it detected my no-name cheap optical mouse that I purchased simply to play Marble Madness and Megaball. Neither of those games is meant for the trackpad.

Great job as always!

Bob C
Old 20 August 2013, 12:33   #278
jbl007

The new mouse driver is really great. The mouse movement always felt a little sluggish even with an optimized config. Now this behavior has been improved. So, thanks for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://fs-uae.net/mouse-input
Code:
sudo chmod a+x /dev/input/*
I think, this is wrong. We don't wanna execute our mouse, just read from it.
Code:
sudo chmod a+r /dev/input/*
Instead of giving read permissions to all connected input devices we could do this for any connected evdev-mouse:
Code:
sudo chmod a+r /dev/input/by-id/*event-mouse
This should work on all modern linux distros.
Old 20 August 2013, 13:30   #279
Goingdown

I installed new development version from sources. Everything went smoothly and I was up and running again with no time (except for the full database rebuild, which did take quite a long obviously).

New game center looks gorgeous, by the way. Only thing I realized was that when exiting a game, the game center does not get to foreground full screen window any more, I need to alt+tab to it (Opensuse 12.3 x86_64, Gnome 3)...

Great job Frode, I will wait files for the translation update.
Old 20 August 2013, 18:16   #280
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Frode,

I just tried 2.3.4 briefly this evening. Thanks for adding the additional options on the game database. This makes my FS-UAE list much more manageable. I also confirmed that the X11 dependency on the joystick setup is gone. I temporarily deleted my symbolic link on /usr/X11 and the joystick configuration still popped up.

While playing a couple of games, I noticed the FS-UAE drive lights were always on when using my theme. I did not notice this in the previous version. I tried both a recent Amiga freeware game (Asgard met Vikings) and Blood Money. I saw the drive behavior on both games.

I have not tried out the new mouse input yet. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it detected my no-name cheap optical mouse that I purchased simply to play Marble Madness and Megaball. Neither of those games is meant for the trackpad.

Great job as always!
Thanks for testing the X11 dependency fix and reporting back Regarding the theme, can you zip that up and send to frode@fs-uae.net?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl007 View Post
The new mouse driver is really great. The mouse movement always felt a little sluggish even with an optimized config. Now this behavior has been improved. So, thanks for this.
[... ] I think, this is wrong. We don't wanna execute our mouse, just read from it.
I am not really stupid, honestly My fingers have betrayed me, but the typo is fixed now. Thanks for notifying me!

(Mouse input is more responsive on my computer as well, when input is read from evdev!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl007 View Post
Instead of giving read permissions to all connected input devices we could do this for any connected evdev-mouse:
Code:
sudo chmod a+r /dev/input/by-id/*event-mouse
This should work on all modern linux distros.
A very good idea - I didn't check that folder. Unfortunately, when you have more device of the same model (as I have), only one of the mice shows up there (it seems there's no "indexing" of devices of the same type), so the permission fix will in this case only apply for one of the mice

But the good news is that I have made the effort to write a how-to on a proper fix This entails creating a udev rule to automatically set read permissions for all mice when they are connected. Turns out this is very easy to do. See the updated information here: http://fs-uae.net/mouse-input ("Creating udev Rules for Readable Mice").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingdown View Post
I installed new development version from sources. Everything went smoothly and I was up and running again with no time (except for the full database rebuild, which did take quite a long obviously).

New game center looks gorgeous, by the way. Only thing I realized was that when exiting a game, the game center does not get to foreground full screen window any more, I need to alt+tab to it (Opensuse 12.3 x86_64, Gnome 3)...

Great job Frode, I will wait files for the translation update.
Thanks for testing, good to hear that is (mostly) works fine

Making nice transitions from one fullscreen application to another and back is actually quite difficult, because different OSes behave quite differently and some hacks are sometimes needed especially to get smooth transitions between fullscreen applications without flickering. I'll create a page with information about OS-specific hacks which can be performed if FS-UAE Game Center cannot fix it on its own.

Anyway, I'll put it on my list to test with Gnome 3 and see if there is anything I can do to persuade Gnome 3 to "behave"

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 20 August 2013 at 19:57.