English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 20 July 2011, 08:22   #161
Jope
-

I have to add my vote for Rick Dangerous as well. Some pixel perfect jumps and forgetting that one trap.. Argh!
Old 20 July 2011, 13:15   #162
s2325
Zone Friend

Cortex - too big hitbox for our spaceship, to small hitbox for enemies, because of that I really have no patience to make longer video: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 July 2011, 14:37   #163
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Big grin

Know I've said it before in other topics,but Delphine's Operation Stealth. Between a somewhat fiddly menu system,(compared to the likes of Lucasarts or even a Sierra adventure),but more so the rubbish maze sections avoiding guards/traps & late in the game avoiding the sharks drove me nuts!
Played thru once & never again! Delphine did better with Cruise for a Corpse though.
Old 20 July 2011, 14:38   #164
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
too big hitbox for our spaceship, too small hitbox for enemies
Indeed, 2 of the deaths in the video seem really unfair.
Hmmm, the looping laugh at the game over / high scores screen is quite frustrating too.
Old 22 July 2011, 01:02   #165
piffpaff

Some (like Weird Dreams e.g.) have already been mentioned over the years this thread seems to be running . Also the mentioned Rainbow Islands was a very frustrating but it's (in my case) a good example that frustrating for sure does not automatically means shitty.

One example for a frustrating and totally shitty game however I can give... I think I had this as one of my first games. Got it as a present if I remember correctly and whoever that was (forgotten) must have had a deep hatred against the piffpaff kid, haha.
The game is called "Elf" and some of the worst shit ever released imo. A laughable sprite collision, ridicoulous controls and as cream on top totally crappy graphics.
But despite that, in the first days I had it I played it a lot. Possibly because I couldn't belive I always died in the very first minutes...
Anyone remembers this, too?

Old 23 July 2011, 09:56   #166
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Yolanda is frigging ridiculous, what with all that invisible platform shit stuff... it was frustratingly bad.

Hoi also was very annoying. To this day I still can't believe that game was so well reviewed in magazines back at the day.
Old 23 July 2011, 12:14   #167
pickaweapon

SoTB
Rick Dangerous
Yolanda
Wizball (when you die you lose powerups - AARGH!)
Gods - drove me nuts
And IMO the most frustrating game ever is Blood Money. When you die you lose all powerups, money is hard to collect and powerups are expensive, energy bar is pointless if you die pretty much instantly on contact, just insanely difficult
Old 22 August 2011, 18:25   #168
Amiga_lulham

Weird dreams, for amiga no question

Old 05 September 2011, 12:49   #169
Patarival

Yeah, Weird Dreams is frustrating but then again, I think it's supposed to be this way.

And Rick Dangerous might be frustrating at first but you get better rather quickly and you can finish the whole game without losing a single life - there is, however, quite a bit of memorization involved as there are situation you just cannot survive the first time you encounter them.

But I agree with 7-Zark-7: Operation Stealth
While I actually like the menu system they use, these damn "arcade sequences" are, in my opinion, completely out of place. Why destroy a rather good adventure with unskippable action sequences?
Old 17 November 2011, 21:16   #170
jeff b00toNic

Werner Flaschbier was the game that had me going nutz.
I think it was a PD game only released in german language.
Old 22 November 2011, 05:01   #171
Vectra
Old Skool

Dojo Dan was a very frustrating game, everything in that game on the screen pretty much killed him even at times something that seemed to be part of the scenery.
Old 22 November 2011, 07:14   #172
laffer
Zone Friend

Pretty much any shoot'em up where you lose your upgrades when dying are way too frustrating as in a lot of cases... "they might as well just have given you one life" (to quote JimPlaysGames, and I fully agree), as you stand little chance later on when you don't have your upgrades.
Old 24 November 2011, 22:47   #173
Sektor 83

One of the most frustrating was surely Rick Dangerous? A great game if you're willing to spend time finding out where everything is, and have a lot of patience, but in the wrong mood could possibly lead to many "throwing the joystick across the room" scenarios!

A game I really really like but I find frustrating simply because I find it a bit difficult (although this is precisely the reason I keep playing it - I couldn't fault the game otherwise) is Saint Dragon...
Old 25 November 2011, 14:54   #174
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile
Cybernoid
Last Ninja 3
The New Zealand Story
Continental Circus
Even Bubble Bobble, when I got stuck around 30th level, the one with the big "JUMP" letters...
Old 25 November 2011, 20:05   #175
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sektor 83 View Post
One of the most frustrating was surely Rick Dangerous? A great game if you're willing to spend time finding out where everything is, and have a lot of patience, but in the wrong mood could possibly lead to many "throwing the joystick across the room" scenarios!

A game I really really like but I find frustrating simply because I find it a bit difficult (although this is precisely the reason I keep playing it - I couldn't fault the game otherwise) is Saint Dragon...
Yeah agreed, both games are tools of the devil. Invisible traps and 5 lives, the devs must have been vindictive bastards.
Old 25 November 2011, 20:06   #176
CritAnime

The running man was a frustrating game. The controls and speed were just controller snapping frustrating.
Old 10 December 2011, 03:42   #177
ufo

I LOVED difficult games. They just kept me coming right back for more!

Gold of Aztecs - Difficult, but doable, with practice

Cybernoid II - Hard or what, kept coming back to it though

Escape From Colditz - A real challenger x4 to try and get 4 guys out

Nightbreed The Interactive Movie - Just utterly frustrating

Yolanda - Hard, but kept coming back to it for whatever reason

Bart Vs The Space Mutants - Yes the jumps had to be pixel perfect, but I finished it eventually after major frustration and trying

Cannon Fodder - later missions as mentioned - plan, attempt, die, repeat (on constant loop)

Lost Patrol - "You have stepped on a landmine. You are dead" or "A grenade lands among you. Weaver is dead." or "A VC has appeared from nowhere and now Boem/Bohm is dead". Eventually after hours of frustration to get to the end, the final sequence/payoff was absolutely pathetic as well. Guess they didn't expect too many people to reach the end!

Jim Power - Nice platformer I thought, at least you could pick up some extra lives along the way. But in parts it seemed a little tricky, may have just been the controls though or collision detection (can't quite remember).

Dragon Ninja - Didn't find it particularly difficult, but I do remember it was a pain as it seemed to move so slowly (like half the standard frame rate).

Shadow Warriors - Generally a toughie if using 1 Player. 2 Player (Red and Blue ninja together) made it a little easier but some of those later levels where you were walking along the iron beam could get very tricky and your lives that you'd been saving very quickly evaporated if you mistimed an attack or two against the goons.

Gods - At times drove me mad, but once you became more familiar with it and what to expect it became easier.

Nowadays, to bring that old school feeling right back - one of the more frustrating games is probably Demon's Souls.

But most games now really are too easy. Pure Kids stuff.
Old 21 February 2013, 21:46   #178
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

ummm.. for me, it was either

(1. Monkey island 2.

(2. Darkseed

(3. Flight of the Amazon Queen

(4. Beneath A Steel Sky..

Hard to choose......
Old 21 February 2013, 22:04   #179
TCD

Out of those 4 it's surely Darkseed
Old 03 March 2013, 15:11   #180
freon

Quote:
Originally Posted by piffpaff View Post
Some (like Weird Dreams e.g.) have already been mentioned over the years this thread seems to be running . Also the mentioned Rainbow Islands was a very frustrating but it's (in my case) a good example that frustrating for sure does not automatically means shitty.

One example for a frustrating and totally shitty game however I can give... I think I had this as one of my first games. Got it as a present if I remember correctly and whoever that was (forgotten) must have had a deep hatred against the piffpaff kid, haha.
The game is called "Elf" and some of the worst shit ever released imo. A laughable sprite collision, ridicoulous controls and as cream on top totally crappy graphics.
But despite that, in the first days I had it I played it a lot. Possibly because I couldn't belive I always died in the very first minutes...
Anyone remembers this, too?

This was one of my first games also. If i remember right it came with some game collection which had few other wierd impossible games. Can't remember those names. I must try to find them somewhere and try them again.

That Elf game has hounted me ever since i played it. I wonder if anyone has managed to play it trough without cheats? If it even has cheats available.