English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 August 2019, 23:19   #21
R4M

If there is no difference between a normal kickstart and diagrom then probably the CPU does not even start. How are the screen colors displayed? Are they there from the moment you turn on power, or is there any change over time?
Old 02 August 2019, 01:14   #22
Tony Gunk

Well, I feel like an idiot.
I reversed the keyboard, and floppy power cable, and I now get to the kickstart boot screen.

However, not all seems well. I seem to be having issues with the floppy disk drive when attempting to boot to workbench. Either it never completes the boot, or a message appears telling me the disk is unreadable. Using the DiagROM chip, which does work as intended, it tells me that there are issues with both CIA chips. It also seems that the keyboard isn't working 100%, and the Amiga mouse is having issues as well.
Old 02 August 2019, 01:54   #23
R4M

Keyboard and left mouse button also need CIAA. Floppy needs both. Can you supply the exact error messages? You could also try to switch the CIAs and see how this affects the behavior. It is unlikely that both have exactly the same problem. If the CIAs are damaged, I would expect to see some changes.
Old 02 August 2019, 02:10   #24
EzdineG

Older versions of DiagROM can’t properly test CIA chips on NTSC machines.

I believe you have to have the absolute latest version burned for this to work.

That said, try swapping the CIA chips to see if the situation changes.
Old 02 August 2019, 02:24   #25
Tony Gunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4M View Post
Keyboard and left mouse button also need CIAA. Floppy needs both. Can you supply the exact error messages? You could also try to switch the CIAs and see how this affects the behavior. It is unlikely that both have exactly the same problem. If the CIAs are damaged, I would expect to see some changes.

The left mouse button is what's not responding, nor is the keyboard, so I take it that one, or both of my CIA chips require replacing. That being said, do you know of any good sources where I could find said chips? Ebay would be most obvious, but most options there come from outside the US, most prominently Europe.

Last edited by Tony Gunk; 02 August 2019 at 05:45.
Old 02 August 2019, 03:12   #26
scuzz

It sounds very much like the ODD CIA. Both of the CIAs are the same chip so if you swap them over and see if that cures the keyboard, floppy and mouse. It should then narrow matters down if that kinda cures issues.

Be very carful removing chips and always use the correct tool.

scuzz
Old 02 August 2019, 13:00   #27
R4M

Keyboard and mouse button are both ODD CIA.
Old 03 August 2019, 01:01   #28
Tony Gunk

I swapped the CIA chips, with only a slight change in behavior. The error given to me when loading workbench from disk says it's a read/write error, as opposed to the prior message.

The DiagROM chip showed that both CIA chips were failing with their timing. Given swapping the chips did nothing, I can assume both CIA chips require replacement. I'm trying to find a good source for such chips other than Ebay, but it's a last resort.
Old 03 August 2019, 01:41   #29
R4M

The floppy needs both CIAs. Are mouse button and keyboard working now?
Old 03 August 2019, 01:56   #30
solarmon

I assume you put in the diagrom the correct way? The same for the other chips.

Posting some close up and clear pictures of your Amiga 500 setup and connections will help us help you.
Old 03 August 2019, 02:22   #31
Tony Gunk

I did indeed put the chips in the correct way, that I can assure you. And no, neither the keyboard or mouse started working correctly after swapping the chips.

Also, I'm not certain on how to post images here. I'm still fairly new.
Old 03 August 2019, 17:06   #32
R4M

Since there has been some change when switiching the CIAs, at least one of them is broken. But this might not be the only problem.
Old 03 August 2019, 20:51   #33
Tony Gunk

For sure one of the CIA's need replacing, but I'm thinking there may or may not be issues with the floppy drive itself, considering that things like that tend to not last, especially considering the condition that this thing was stored in for decades.

As for replacing the CIA chips, does anyone know a good source for such chips other than Ebay? Ebay is more or less a last resort, considering most of the amiga peripherals available come from outside of the US.
Old 03 August 2019, 21:46   #34
R4M

You can try the Marketplace thread here or on other sites. I personally only know the european market. There it's quite likely to succeed on one of the highly frequented forums.