English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 21 January 2010, 15:44   #1
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

program to format/copy Amiga diks/files on the PC side ?

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been answered a thousand times, but I was a bit away from the Amiga and all the forums lately, so please forgive me to ask this (again?):

Is there a program/tool/driver on the PC which let me format a disk in Amiga format and also copy files from a PC formatted disk to the Amiga formatted disk (both connected to the PC) ?

I know there is a way to do this from inside WinUAE, but I thaught this might take a lot longer than it would when doing this directly on the PC ?! (I need to copy 4gb of Amiga files from PC to a Amiga HD!)

Anyway, if WinUAE is the best way to to it, which program would you use ? Directory Opus ?!

Thanks a lot!!
Old 21 January 2010, 16:35   #2
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

WinUAE would be best for your purposes.

I take it you are talking HDD only?

Just use Workbench within WinUAE...copy & paste

PZ.
Old 21 January 2010, 17:51   #3
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Thanx !!

Sure, copy & paste would be easiest
However, wouldn't that be quite slow ?
I mean I can emulate a 14MHz Amiga 1200, but my PC runs on 1400MHz, that's factor 100! I know it is not exactly this factor, Amiga is much faster than PC with same clock, but still there is a difference....

And yes, I would like to copy from one HD (PC formatted) to another HD (Amiga formatted) on the same PC.
Old 21 January 2010, 18:08   #4
thomas

Quote:
I mean I can emulate a 14MHz Amiga 1200
That's not true. You can as well emulate "as fast as possible". This means something like 800 - 1000 MHz on your PC. With JIT and RTG enabled, the emulated Amiga is a thousand times faster than a real Amiga. The emulated Workbench is even more responsive than the hosting Windows.

And you asked about copying disks, not about raytracing or something, right ? For I/O operations the processor speed does not matter so much. The bottleneck is the disk drive. Using UAE's emulated HDD controller (uaehf.device), there is almost no overhead over the host system. So copying disks inside WinUAE with the right software is nearly as fast as copying from Windows.