English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 March 2006, 09:54   #101
cooldude

Both games were (are) fantastic to look at, but Lionheart is
way easier to play. What control problem??

Anyway IMHO Commodore killed the Amiga.

Pirating helped sell millions of 'em...just like the PS2 :^p

Still hard to condone though 8^|
Old 03 March 2006, 16:37   #102
MethodGit

Am I the only person to have thought all these years that Vladyn was a human in this game???

You certainly couldn't tell by the sprite that he was of a lionish race!

So I take it the game now displays properly in WinUAE? Haven't played it in yoooooonnnkkks, and got kinda put off by how bad (an older version of) the emu was at displaying its flashy graphics and animations properly.
Old 03 March 2006, 16:50   #103
Ironclaw
Banned

Yes, the game is displayed properly in WinUAE.... and I also thought he was a human, when I first played it.. but then watching the intro.....
Old 03 March 2006, 19:22   #104
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I had only small problems while Valdyn rides that riding animal. Gfx gets messed up at the animal's leg. That's 'bout it.

Last edited by Anubis; 26 July 2022 at 13:56.
Old 03 March 2006, 20:31   #105
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

On my Amiga, it's the WHDload install that causes graphics corruption. There's a regular white flash of corrupted pixels in the sky in the first few levels and a bit of a jerky movement in the flying level. When run using the game's original HD install, there is no problem. This is one of the very few games that work better with original HD install. (probably only my Amiga, others don't seem to have the problem)
Old 05 March 2006, 00:59   #106
blade002
Zone Friend

Im not fond of WinUAE at all really. Its good to look at some of the games again on it.. but i wouldnt recommend to a person who is new to the Amiga to try out an emulator, because in my opinion they will just ended up hating the Amiga.

Its a real Amiga on a real Amiga Monitor or a TV or nothing!. Also to get the resolution to look proper on WinUAE you need to look at much smaller version of the Amiga's screen..

Emulators are good, but F#@K them.
Old 05 March 2006, 03:19   #107
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

You don't need to look at a much smaller version of the screen! If you fiddle around for long enough you can find a happy balance. WinUAE has vastly improved recently and it's great for people like me who have long since said goodbye to their Amiga.

Quote:
There was certainly something wrong in the industry back then when it came to who got credit and who didnt!. Take a look at the game "Zool". It was the biggest pile of steaming shit ever, but it was given great reviews, it was called techincally stunning????.. and that it was the Amiga's answer to Sonic!?.. give me a #@$@$ break!.
YES! I'm SO glad someone said this! Zool was a total peice of shit!! So was Body Blows ("the Amiga's answer to Street Fighter II", please!). There seemed to be so many "Sonic beaters" that magazines assured us would save the Amiga, but they weren't anywhere near as much FUN as Sonic or Mario. I don't know why developers found it so hard! As soon as they tried to copy the consoles they started producing mediocre crap!

I used to wonder if it was just ME not being able to appreciate these "amazing" games that the mags gave rave reviews to! Even Amiga Power ("disseminator of truth") seemed guilty of it at times (I'm sure they raved about Zool as well).

Sorry, had to get that off my chest
Old 05 March 2006, 03:23   #108
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
The codec is mentioned on the front page AND in the FAQ on www.recordedamigagames.org . But here's the link to save you the trouble

http://www.free-codecs.com/FFDShow_download.htm
Actually the codec isn't mentioned in the FAQ! Great site though!
Old 05 March 2006, 08:25   #109
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker
Actually the codec isn't mentioned in the FAQ! Great site though!
Ah, right, never uploaded the new version, but I will . The codec is on the frot page now at all times .

Check out the 2 new longplays of Shadow of the Beast and Project-X ^^
Old 05 March 2006, 19:26   #110
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Bah! Project-X - an evil game!! I'd like to see it completed though, thanks!!

Just an additional thought: I've wanted to play Lionheart ever since I saw it reviewed in Amiga Power. Sadly I never got to see it, not even a demo Could somebody put it in the zone for me?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by JohnnyWalker; 05 March 2006 at 19:49.
Old 05 March 2006, 19:57   #111
Ironclaw
Banned

You can download it from www.planetemu.net
Old 18 March 2006, 05:26   #112
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Got it, thanks!
Old 19 March 2006, 11:38   #113
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
You can download it from www.planetemu.net
You traitor What you doing pointing him there instead of the Thalion Webshrine?

We also have the coverdisk demo from TheOne magazine which comprises of a level not in the game.

Last edited by alexh; 17 July 2022 at 19:19. Reason: Fix link
Old 19 March 2006, 20:25   #114
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker
YES! I'm SO glad someone said this! Zool was a total peice of shit!! So was Body Blows ("the Amiga's answer to Street Fighter II", please!). There seemed to be so many "Sonic beaters" that magazines assured us would save the Amiga, but they weren't anywhere near as much FUN as Sonic or Mario. I don't know why developers found it so hard! As soon as they tried to copy the consoles they started producing mediocre crap!

I used to wonder if it was just ME not being able to appreciate these "amazing" games that the mags gave rave reviews to! Even Amiga Power ("disseminator of truth") seemed guilty of it at times (I'm sure they raved about Zool as well).
Im SO Glad someone agree's!!!!!.... I too thought Body Blows was a piece shit, and nowhere near what it could have been!. When it came to Sonic & Mario beaters though, i simply didnt want that kind of shit on my Amiga!. Mario this Mario that, Sonic this Sonic that!.. blah blah blah.. all we ever heard about back then were these 2 highly overated games and characters. But then there was a game like Woody's World that loved that i thought shit all over Zool and it got crap reviews.

Amiga Power had PATHETIC screen grabbing technology, so every shot of every game in the magazine looked shit!.

Last edited by blade002; 19 March 2006 at 20:41.
Old 20 March 2006, 05:10   #115
Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
On my Amiga, it's the WHDload install that causes graphics corruption. There's a regular white flash of corrupted pixels in the sky in the first few levels and a bit of a jerky movement in the flying level. When run using the game's original HD install, there is no problem. This is one of the very few games that work better with original HD install. (probably only my Amiga, others don't seem to have the problem)
I had this flashing effect at first, just try it with NoVBRMove tooltype, mine works perfectly with that set
Old 20 March 2006, 11:29   #116
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The only benefit the WHDLoad install offers over the original installer is Preload.

Original game + Original installer works fine to the end. Tested on all CPU's upto 68040
Old 20 March 2006, 14:51   #117
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
Im SO Glad someone agree's!!!!!.... I too thought Body Blows was a piece shit, and nowhere near what it could have been!. When it came to Sonic & Mario beaters though, i simply didnt want that kind of shit on my Amiga!. Mario this Mario that, Sonic this Sonic that!.. blah blah blah.. all we ever heard about back then were these 2 highly overated games and characters. But then there was a game like Woody's World that loved that i thought shit all over Zool and it got crap reviews.

Amiga Power had PATHETIC screen grabbing technology, so every shot of every game in the magazine looked shit!.
Am I the only one who thinks that Mr. Nutz was better then Mario/Zelda/Sonic games?
Old 20 March 2006, 17:46   #118
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
I had this flashing effect at first, just try it with NoVBRMove tooltype, mine works perfectly with that set
Hey, great tip! It works!

Quote:
The only benefit the WHDLoad install offers over the original installer is Preload.
There is also the added "bonus" of not being able to quit. You can quit with the quitkey while the intro is running, but not after the game has started. You can't even quit with the menu because "Quit" has been replaced with "Info" (piracy note). The readme for the WHDload install says that the quit problem has been fixed, but obviously it is not fixed. (I'd tell the author of the slave, but it's Harry and he seems to have disappeared)

Edit: Oh wait - I just tested again and it is the NOVBRMOVE that is causing it not to quit. You fix one thing and another thing gets screwed. I'm going back to the original install.

Last edited by mr_a500; 20 March 2006 at 18:07.
Old 20 March 2006, 19:00   #119
Doozy

Big grin Mr Nutz is Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
Am I the only one who thinks that Mr. Nutz was better then Mario/Zelda/Sonic games?
Now we ARE talking about a great platform game here!! I loved the way the story was driven and loved the way the character was controlled. Shame that it didn't play aswell on other platforms... S'pose thats one point to the Amiga!

Great game passed by many this

Old 22 March 2006, 12:52   #120
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doozy
Now we ARE talking about a great platform game here!! I loved the way the story was driven and loved the way the character was controlled. Shame that it didn't play aswell on other platforms... S'pose thats one point to the Amiga!

Great game passed by many this
Mr Nutz was one of those games that i saw and thought... WOW amazing graphics, and then i just didnt start playing it like i did every other game on the Amiga back then?. Why that is i dont know.. but im sure that what your saying is right..

I will try Mr Nutz again once i get my Amiga up and running again. I dont like WinUAE.