no 44 97.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 October 2003, 16:48   #21
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Games? AmigaOne?
It's obvious the AmigaOne is geared for fanatics, developers and professionals.
A rig owned mostly by fanatics won't get games companies to publish SHIT. Not even a Bubble Bobble type game.
I imagine that's what people said about Pegasos machines and MorphOS (OS for PPC Amigas and Pegasos) , yet surprisingly enough a handful of commercial games and utilities are already available.

I agree, though, the amount of commercial games and utility software that will ever be released for hobbyist machines like Pegasos and AmigaOne will be very small.
Old 21 October 2003, 17:15   #22
woody57

Smile I don,t disagree with the Idea....

....That there is an alternative and its possible many of us at this board would like nothing better a miggy that gives us full compatability with other machines AND still run " Retro games & apps ". The point being Amiga is now just a name , some will say I,m talking heresey ! there is NO major Amiga manufacterer and hence there is No Amiga software market to be exploited .
Loyalty and stupidity do not HAVE to be bedfellows ,its like this if a POP band of the Sixties sells its name to a tribute group who wish to cash in on " retro Nostagia " the name carries... is it the same ?....... Surely we are past the point where the hardware has to be from one dedicated supplier ? most of miggies expansion,s were third party anyway ! it can only be the OS that makes the diference.....MAC , Atari , Miggy all used motorola but different OS,s the idea of returning to an old G3 as a way forward raises doubts because of this compatability question ..especialy without seeing the working OS4 not just screen shots ....its user reports that open my wallet ...not company blurb
Old 22 October 2003, 18:49   #23
Korodny
Zone Friend

@woodshed57:

Quote:
....That there is an alternative and its possible many of us at this board would like nothing better a miggy that gives us full compatability with other machines AND still run " Retro games & apps ".
That's a common misconception. Nobody expects to make big money by selling Amiga desktop computers. The Amiga (-One) might be a viable desktop alternative in a few years, but until then, it's just another collector's item.

The AmigaOne has two selling points:

1. A slim, fast and responsive OS that is easy to use and maintain (unlike Windows, Linux or MacOS X) and has a good bunch of Multimedia applications available (unlike BeOS, QNX and the like)
2. a reliable hardware platform that features low power consumption aswell as low heat/ noise dissipation and makes use of off-the-shelf expansions (PCI-, AGP-, USB- Hardware).

These advantages may not be enough to conquer the desktop market at once, but they are very interesting for parties that need embedded appliances, kiosk systems and the like. This is Eyetech's core market (they only established their Amiga retail division (in 1997(!)) to make sure that they always have a good bunch of replacement hardware/parts available) and this is the sole reason that Eyetech even bother about the AmigaOne. This is where they are going to make money, not by selling to Amigans - the fact that Amiga users get a new desktop platform this way is just a side-effect.

Even if it would be technically viable to make AGA compatible hardware (it isn't - Boxer, anyone?): nobody would care, as it would be pretty damn expensive and there would not be much money to be made. Especially when software-based emulation has reached the high standard represented by WinUAE.

Quote:
The point being Amiga is now just a name , some will say I,m talking heresey ! there is NO major Amiga manufacterer and hence there is no Amiga software market to be exploited.
Right. But even in the market's current (extremely pity) state, there's new commercial software developed: MediaPoint RTG, Hollywood, FXPaint, IBrowse 3.x, BurnIt 3, Audio Evolution 4, Papyrus... It will certainly take a few years until the market is viable again, but I suggest that you give the platform a chance before deciding it's doomed anyway.

About that "it's just a name" thing: That may be valid for you, it certainly isn't valid for me. To me, it's the only logical evolution of the original Amiga.

Quote:
Surely we are past the point where the hardware has to be from one dedicated supplier ?
We are past this point. Contact Hyperion if you have a PPC platform available and want to have OS 4 running on it.

Quote:
..especialy without seeing the working OS4 not just screen shots ....its user reports that open my wallet ...not company blurb
OS4 has been demonstrated throughout Europe the past few months (IIRC, the next event will be in France, early November). Currently several big cities in Australia are featuring "OS4 on tour" events. A video of an AmigaOne booting OS4 can be downloaded somewhere (can't find the link right now, but I'll have a look).

Get your facts straight, please ;-)
Old 22 October 2003, 21:29   #24
woody57

Thumbs up Thanks Korodny !

I didn,t expect to get away with such generalisms ! without accurate correction from at least one source !
When I saw the poll posted I hoped there would be several users who could " sing " the praises of Amiga One with a less than sceptical eye of " Non initiated " .
Of course my presented viewpoint was full of inaccurate generalisms that are attributated to " Second Hand reporting " everytime I have tried to search for user reviews or updates , I have ended up with installation reviews , or reports from shows .
Since it appears only Sevrin is using one { and that on Linux } it made me push to find out more .
I want to base my understanding on first hand information and you thankfully have corrected misconceptions

Cheers Korodny
Old 23 October 2003, 09:41   #25
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
@woodshed57:

OS4 has been demonstrated throughout Europe the past few months (IIRC, the next event will be in France, early November). Currently several big cities in Australia are featuring "OS4 on tour" events. A video of an AmigaOne booting OS4 can be downloaded somewhere (can't find the link right now, but I'll have a look).

Get your facts straight, please ;-)
http://elwoodb.free.fr/articles/AmigaOne/#buying

Link to downloadable 30 MB video is tward the bottom of the webpage.
Old 24 October 2003, 00:22   #26
woody57

Thumbs up And thanks to PYROMANIA for his link

.......Took the time to read the article and watch the vid before I typed reply , its interesting to note the author was happy to accept sound problems , which would have most newbie computor owners up in arms , but isn,t that Korodny,s point ? This machine is NOT for beginners it doesnt come with " trainer wheels " Like all big kids it gets me excited again about the propspect of eventually getting my hands on a G4 machine so I can finally kiss goodbye to having to use my wifes PC for certain things . I refuse at the moment to give my downstairs computor space to any thing Non amiga { My eyetech tower bears the logo ] . Being one who has plenty of time to learn new things I look forward to future posts as A1 becomes better reported and OS4 becomes a proven system ......Heck I refuse to be a pessimist.......ALL the time !