English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 21 August 2020, 14:23   #41
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I was actually thinking about this and EAB members from south side of the world. Just 2 months ago my childhood friend traveled with wife and kid to Brazil?! His wife is from Brazil and they build house there, but again, in mid of pandemic they went there and they are planning on staying there until next month from what I hear.

Son of my friends works on ICU with Covid-19 patients here and they all got Corona from son. Wife was asymptomatic, kid had mild case while father ended up in hospital for a week.

Stay healthy Fiss and wash your hands, as E-Penguin said.
Old 21 August 2020, 15:04   #42
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fissuras View Post
As you may know (or not), down here in Brazil the virus got wild on some areas, with more than a hundred thousand deaths already. We all know people who got the virus, and also people that died from it.
More importantly, known cases seems to be getting closer and closer. We've heard of a cousin's neighbor that got sick on another town. Or a friend's relative in another city.
Nowadays we see close friends or their parents in hospital using ventilators and such.
We all know people that died from covid so make no mistakes about it.
I have a few Brazilian friends. They want me to come over in mid December for a few weeks as I haven't seen them in years.

Problem is that I doubt things will settle down there before then, so most probably won't go.

From what my friends tell me, nobody in Brazil really abides by restrictions / distancing etc... so it's only going to get worse.
Old 22 August 2020, 03:54   #43
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fissuras View Post
We all know people that died from covid so make no mistakes about it.
I don't think the matter with face mask despising minorities is these people denying it can kill, I assume it has to do with the concept of individual freedom.
Heavy smokers and drinkers tend to deny being a potential burden to society "Oh, I'll die of cancer, is that so ? Well, air pollution will kill us all before that anyway"
"it's my freedom of choice to risk catching covid, living secluded is for cowards, taking risks is inherent to life" etc etc
Sometimes it gets mixed up with conspiracy theories, govt is trying to convince us best way to avoid it is getting a chip implant under the skin, and similar nonsense. We have a (costly for the taxpayer) Android app here in France. It's called stop covid and it tanked because it relied on Bluetooth (among other reasons). So basically all it does is draining the poor dudes battery, its contact-tracing abilities are very limited due to how Bluetooth works (needs some actual handshaking between the devices as you all know) .
Old 22 August 2020, 08:26   #44
nobody

Well, these 20yr old kids know that if running fast with cars/motorbikes might kill them but they still do it. Seeing that 85% of deaths are people of age 65+ and mostly with health problems doesn't help. Right now if there was a way to lock them down for 1 month i bet the spread would minimise to -90%. Probably even disappear in 2 months.

As for the theories about Bill Gates and micro chips on vaccines, that's what my doctor said, people are stupid and ready to believe every bullshit that someone is selling to them. Especially if the theory will make them follow no rules and make them feel more "free". That theory about chips on vaccines is the stupidest thing i ever heard in my life, but still some people believe it.

Last edited by nobody; 22 August 2020 at 08:33.
Old 22 August 2020, 17:09   #45
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Glad it was not that bad for you. Hope someone else was controlling rockets and space while you were sick.
Thanks. I've just checked my work email for the first time in three weeks and it appears space has not been quiet in my absence! Never a dull moment...
Old 23 August 2020, 03:03   #46
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Thanks. I've just checked my work email for the first time in three weeks and it appears space has not been quiet in my absence! Never a dull moment...
Is it ever

SPACE is not really that empty, look at all the gas and kicked out planets and stars and even some ROGUE Black Holes zipping about.
Old 23 August 2020, 15:53   #47
E-Penguin
Banana

We had a comet tail fly-through shortly after launch and we've just been through perihelion, taking the closest pictures of the sun ever. Now we're coming up to a venus swingby. Deep space is pretty much full of stuff to keep us busy.

Anyway, coming back to the topic, I'm returning to work 50% next week, three weeks post covid-19. I'm still absolutely knackered most of the time. It's definitely not a hoax.
Old 23 August 2020, 20:48   #48
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Right now if there was a way to lock them down for 1 month i bet the spread would minimise to -90%.
I am in favor of plain old pen and paper contact tracing. Let's assume you go to a pub with a few friends, some waitress writes down each person's name and number. In case it turns out said pub becomes a cluster for covid, some clerk from the health administration calls you to give you a few pointers. No need for electronic tagging a la Hong Kong style, not until situation gets out of control at least. An asymptomatic carrier can visit half a dozen places on one evening just to find a sex partner. Usually, I have no problem with that, but during pandemic, precautionary measures must be taken.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 23 August 2020 at 23:18.
Old 23 August 2020, 22:17   #49
redblade
Zone Friend

e-Penguin: How bad was it for you? I see you still have it after 3 weeks. I read that some people still feel it for 6 weeks after.

I hope they can at least detect who will feel it worse then others.
Old 23 August 2020, 23:03   #50
E-Penguin
Banana

I had it worse than my parents (late 60s), and we all had different symptoms. Only crushing fatigue seems to be the common component. It just comes out of nowhere and hits you like a tonne of bricks. It's improving but at a frustratingly slow pace.