English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 05 March 2010, 13:14   #1
SurferJoe

Reinstalling on A600HD

OK guys , starting to get back into Amiga again after all these years and having a great time so far. Should have seen my eyes light up first time I saw XCopy running again!
I have managed to collect so far 3 A500s and this A600 which I have messed around a little with Devpac for coding again. However I really would like to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Workbench again. The unit came with the 3 Workbench floppies - Workbench , Extras and Fonts , but from what I google there should be a HD install floppy as well?
The previous owner had so much junk on the drive like docs etc on the Workbench partition that a fresh install would eb nice to do.

It currently has a 170MB SCSI Seagate drive on there split into 20MB or so for Workbench and 150MB for "Work". I don't mind considering the CF card option if it will provide more space etc and there is a relatively easy way to format and set up again.

This may not end up as my main machine as I have my eye on a A4000 too so either go that way or an A1200.

Any hints , tips , suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05 March 2010, 13:25   #2
redblade
Zone Friend

any chance you can back up the hard drive or do a "list #?" on both partitions, if particular in alphabetical order, would like to see if there are any files on there that might get the attention of some of the users.
Old 06 March 2010, 02:23   #3
SurferJoe

Wink

Have already done backup of hd using Amiback - figured wise move just in case.

The work partition was mostly deleted so I had a cleanish environment for Devpac3 and DPaint etc.

For some strange reason the previous owner(s) had a pile of docs and printer stuff like pagesetter etc on the Workbench partition. want to clean out stuff like that as not running any printer on the Amiga so taking up space for no reason , and want more room so can add extra commands to the c directory.

Will get around to adding the results of the List command as you requested on Monday as working both today and Sunday. If it is in regard to applications etc , I have over 800 floppies here that came with various systems so is slow progress trying to find programs on these - also slower as been quite a few years without Amigas so relearning all over again.

Regards