English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 07 February 2012, 23:15   #61
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
None of the remedies you suggested worked, so I've logged an issue on the tracker there with a link to a Youtube video with the debug info enabled. Hope this is of some use.
Uploading the video to Youtube video was an excellent idea - very nice bug report. The graphs indicate that the problem is vsync (You see that you get about 30fps, which means that every other vblank interval is missed). Either your graphics card is not fast enough to do the work (upload texture and render screen) @60fps, or (perhaps more likely) the drivers could be buggy with regards to vsync, and/or fs-uae does something your driver does not like.

The upcoming version will let to turn the use of vsync off entirely (I've already implemented this), and this might solve the problem. Since your display was not running at 50hz anyway, no vsync is not a great loss in your case.

Edit: Actually, when looking at the log, I see that fs-uae thinks that your display is running at 50fps, but the video indicates that you are running at a multiple of 30 (=60). I have actually had a similar problem on my laptop when I tried to put in a 50Hz modeline there. The X log and xrandr all said that I had 1280x720@50fps, but benchmarking (and nvidia-settings) confirmed that xrandr was lying. -So part of your problem may be that the video mode isn't working?

Have you any way of independently verifying that you are indeed running at 50Hz? Perhaps try glxgears (you may need to set the environment variable __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1 to first)

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 07 February 2012 at 23:21.
Old 07 February 2012, 23:41   #62
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Uploading the video to Youtube video was an excellent idea - very nice bug report. The graphs indicate that the problem is vsync (You see that you get about 30fps, which means that every other vblank interval is missed). Either your graphics card is not fast enough to do the work (upload texture and render screen) @60fps, or (perhaps more likely) the drivers could be buggy with regards to vsync, and/or fs-uae does something your driver does not like.

The upcoming version will let to turn the use of vsync off entirely (I've already implemented this), and this might solve the problem. Since your display was not running at 50hz anyway, no vsync is not a great loss in your case.

Edit: Actually, when looking at the log, I see that fs-uae thinks that your display is running at 50fps, but the video indicates that you are running at a multiple of 30 (=60). I have actually had a similar problem on my laptop when I tried to put in a 50Hz modeline there. The X log and xrandr all said that I had 1280x720@50fps, but benchmarking (and nvidia-settings) confirmed that xrandr was lying. -So part of your problem may be that the video mode isn't working?

Have you any way of independently verifying that you are indeed running at 50Hz? Perhaps try glxgears (you may need to set the environment variable __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1 to first)
Monitor is running at 60hz, as per the info on the menus. Not quite sure how to check for 50hz exactly, as glxgears gives me no useful info that I can see.

Video card is a GeForce GTX 260 so not at all slow, and CPU is an i7
Old 07 February 2012, 23:54   #63
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Monitor is running at 60hz, as per the info on the menus. Not quite sure how to check for 50hz exactly, as glxgears gives me no useful info that I can see.

Video card is a GeForce GTX 260 so not at all slow, and CPU is an i7
glxgears prints frames per second to the terminal, but the monitor menu information is good enough. -this means that you have tried to enable a 50hz mode (and xrandr think you have), but the display actually has a 60hz mode.

I remembered something else you can try: I once had an nVIDIA problem where the card gave one resolution/mode to the TV, and presented another to the OS, and this can be disabled by setting this option in xorg.conf
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = native"

(http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-b.html)

Here is my xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "Module"
        Load    "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier      "Default Device"
    Driver  "nvidia"
    Option  "NoLogo"        "True"
    Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
    Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = native"
    # DFP-2 is HDMI
    Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-2"
EndSection
With this config on my laptop, and connected to a TV, both 50 and 60 Hz modes work perfectly.
Old 08 February 2012, 00:36   #64
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Version 0.9.5

* added support for A500+ and A600 models
* Video sync behaviour can now be overriden from config or command line
(see example.conf)
* new --video-sync command line parameter (auto/off/vblank/full)
* old --vsync parameter is gone
* fixed threading related bug which cased OpenAL output to stop
* added a PID controller implementation for automatic audio buffer management

Binaries:
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-....5-windows.zip
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...-macosx.tar.gz
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-....5-0_amd64.deb
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...9.5-0_i386.deb

Source code:
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-uae-0.9.5.tar.gz

Update: Windows version is really uploaded now.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 08 February 2012 at 00:45.
Old 08 February 2012, 02:59   #65
ZombieRyushu

Trying to create a controller Config for one of those Street Fighter 4 RF Pads. Here is the results of evtest.

Input driver version is 1.0.1
Input device ID: bus 0x3 vendor 0x738 product 0x8828 version 0x101
Input device name: "Mad Catz,Inc. PS3 RF pad"
Supported events:
Event type 0 (Sync)
Event type 1 (Key)
Event code 304 (BtnA)
Event code 305 (BtnB)
Event code 306 (BtnC)
Event code 307 (BtnX)
Event code 308 (BtnY)
Event code 309 (BtnZ)
Event code 310 (BtnTL)
Event code 311 (BtnTR)
Event code 312 (BtnTL2)
Event code 313 (BtnTR2)
Event code 314 (BtnSelect)
Event code 315 (BtnStart)
Event code 316 (BtnMode)
Event type 3 (Absolute)
Event code 0 (X)
Value 128
Min 0
Max 255
Flat 15
Event code 1 (Y)
Value 128
Min 0
Max 255
Flat 15
Event code 2 (Z)
Value 128
Min 0
Max 255
Flat 15
Event code 5 (Rz)
Value 128
Min 0
Max 255
Flat 15
Event code 16 (Hat0X)
Value 0
Min -1
Max 1
Event code 17 (Hat0Y)
Value 0
Min -1
Max 1
Event type 4 (Misc)
Event code 4 (ScanCode)

Old 08 February 2012, 03:07   #66
ZombieRyushu

A few questions, is there a way I can set it to run in a low resolution display mode? (640x480), Is there a way that the exit button can be re-mapped? and is this Emulator OpenGL enabled?

Old 08 February 2012, 17:24   #67
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't like my Mac. I get the error message: "You can’t open the application “fs-uae” because it’s not supported on this type of Mac."

I'm running it on an Intel Core Duo Mac Mini with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 installed. Any ideas?
Sorry, I actually meant that I build fs-uae on a Intel Core 2 Duo. The Intel Core Duo is a 32-bit only processor, and fs-uae.app is only built for x86-64. You can however compile fs-uae yourself for 32-bit (see the INSTALL file for instructions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRyushu View Post
Trying to create a controller Config for one of those Street Fighter 4 RF Pads. Here is the results of evtest. ...
You should instead run jstest and manually note which gamepad button press correponds to which button index in the jstest output (see the README).

Quote:
is there a way I can set it to run in a low resolution display mode? (640x480)
fs-uae will use your current resolution, so if you manually switch resolution and then start fs-uae: yes. I only use the full resolution of my LCD panels, but there is sufficient interesert, I could implement mode switching in fs-uae.

Quote:
Is there a way that the exit button can be re-mapped?
Could you be more specific?

Quote:
and is this Emulator OpenGL enabled
The emulator uses OpenGL for video rendering, yes.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 08 February 2012 at 17:53.
Old 08 February 2012, 22:21   #68
wilshy

Absolutely amazing work so far. Chuffed the Mac is getting an up to date emulator alongside PUAE. Now with the full sync mode working, no more jerking. Sweet.

But the whole emulator runs too fast, sound sped up when running in sync full mode. I'm running it on an old iMac Core Duo 2 10.6.8. So I'm assuming my refresh rate is something like 75hz so the emulation is locked to that rather than 50hz?

Log file attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt fs-uae.txt (16.2 KB, 364 views)
Old 08 February 2012, 22:36   #69
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshy View Post
Absolutely amazing work so far. Chuffed the Mac is getting an up to date emulator alongside PUAE. Now with the full sync mode working, no more jerking. Sweet.

But the whole emulator runs too fast, sound sped up when running in sync full mode. I'm running it on an old iMac Core Duo 2 10.6.8. So I'm assuming my refresh rate is something like 75hz so the emulation is locked to that rather than 50hz?

Log file attached.
Sorry, but can can't have both perfect scrolling and correct speed unless your display is running at 50Hz. If your display is running at 60Hz and you force full sync, the emulation will run at 60/50 = 120% and at 75z it will run at 75/50 = 150%.

The only solution for perfect scrolling in PAL games is to have a display running at 50Hz!
Old 08 February 2012, 22:41   #70
wilshy

Thought as much as I was typing that. There was me thinking you'd managed something no one else had.

Still great work and something I'll be using. Keep it up. Hope you consider the C64 emulation as well.
Old 08 February 2012, 23:28   #71
lomdav

fs-uae work perfect on my ToshibaM400 with Ubuntu11.10.

Great work!!

There is planned configuration interface?

Old 09 February 2012, 18:02   #72
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomdav View Post
fs-uae work perfect on my ToshibaM400 with Ubuntu11.10.

Great work!!

There is planned configuration interface?
Glad it works for you

I have no plans to create a built-in configuration interface (and I do not think this will change). I focus on controls which are needed at run-time, such as floppy swapping.

The configuration files can be written by hand, or by an external program (It is possible for anyone to create a configuration frontend). In many cases, I also expect fs-uae to be started from a game browser which automatically configures fs-uae.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 09 February 2012 at 18:10.
Old 09 February 2012, 18:09   #73
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

fs-uae with OpenAL

I haven't gotten any problem reports for the OpenAL versions of fs-uae (apart from the initial version - thanks kire_online), so it seems to be working for people. I will soon create a new release and publish on the home page, finally replacing those 0.9.2 binaries. 0.9.6 will probably have support for hard drive images and mounting virtual folders.

On a different note: I updated the description on the home page to better reflect fs-uae (I think) -If a description is replicated on other news sites, please use the new one over the old

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 09 February 2012 at 18:42.
Old 09 February 2012, 18:58   #74
chiark
Needs a life

I think I love you. Top work.
Old 09 February 2012, 22:17   #75
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Version 0.9.6 released

* Support for hard drive images (hdf)
* Support for mounting virtual folders as hard drives (experimental)
* Bugfix in calculation of save location of overlay adf files
* UTF-8 is now used internally in libamiga also on Windows, and
text is converted to other character sets / encodings as needed.
This enables support for non-ASCII characters in paths on Windows.
* Added a copyright notice at startup crediting the original WinUAE,
E-UAE and PUAE authors, and added a more prominent notice in the start
of the README.

Source code and binaries for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux are posted here:
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/
Old 10 February 2012, 00:44   #76
kire_online

You're doing some great work here, I'll check the sound tonight, also see if I can try it on the mac mini plugged into a 50" Plasma running at 50Hz for smooth scrolling.
Old 10 February 2012, 00:51   #77
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kire_online View Post
You're doing some great work here, I'll check the sound tonight, also see if I can try it on the mac mini plugged into a 50" Plasma running at 50Hz for smooth scrolling.
Great! Just remember to run with --video-sync=full (or set it in your configuration file) because fs-uae does not detect the refresh rate automatically on the Mac.
Old 10 February 2012, 01:20   #78
lesta_smsc

Excuse my ignorance, any chance of adding a multiplayer feature to this?
Old 10 February 2012, 09:24   #79
Kokos

Thumbs up Handhelds

Hi,

I think it's awesome and just perfect for handhelds! Have you been thinking about adopting this way uae4all for opensource handheld consoles like gp2x Caanoo?

Kind regards,
K

Old 10 February 2012, 10:16   #80
chiark
Needs a life

I suspect that due to the core being winuae, which is focused on emulation accuracy rather than speed on slower devices, it might not be the most performant - but it's definitely worth a try!

Frode, could you incorporate a way of knowing what version of WinUAE makes up the core? For example, Toni is now on 2.4.0 beta 15 (?)... Or do you wait until stable release and then start a beta of fs-uae?

Incidentally, I couldn't see the copyright notice on startup on macosx, and it's not in the log either? I tried from the command line (which displayed where the log was being written to) and from the icon.

Strange auto size behaviour: when running in fullscreen mode and loading a crunched demo which strobes the background colour (eg Rebels/Coma), the screen jumps up and down quite a lot. Disable fullscreen (ctrl-f11) and this stops. I can send an ADF if it helps?

Want help with the OSX packaging? I can sort out a DMG if that would be useful...