English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 August 2009, 18:56   #1
mattbarton.exe

Floppy disk Star Control II

Greetings from the New Alliance of Free Stars!

This week's episode of "Matt Chat" covers another great games of the early 90s: Star Control II.

[ Show youtube player ]

This is really a fun game that's often overlooked, but it's well worth checking out--especially now that it's open source and available in cool versions for modern platforms.

I also talk about Spacewar! and Starflight, an earlier hit that's also worth a look.

I had to take it out of the video due to time restrictions, but I wanted to show how some of the games Paul Reiche worked one earlier also influenced Star Control, most notably Archon and Mail Order Monsters. You really notice it if you compare the combat scenes and the diversity of the monsters or military units. I guess I'll have to do a future episode on these games.

Please enjoy and let me know what you think.
Old 08 August 2009, 19:19   #2
skateblind
Village Idiot

Amazing game!! The updated version is such a great game. I am glad to see you have done a video on this one Matt!
Old 08 August 2009, 19:36   #3
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Funny, because I recently started to grab some 3DO (the Panasonic console) CD images , noticed this game had some copyright issues (at least from the seeder POV) and accessed the home page of the remake project yet without being able to download the original game (not that I care much to have it, but it's said to be a great game indeed).

I suppose Star Control II made its way onto other plateforms, like the Mega-CD...

By the way, there is a Mad-Matt here on EAB, so if you're becoming mad, just make sure to use another nick (like Mad-Barton) .
Old 08 August 2009, 20:18   #4
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
Funny, because I recently started to grab some 3DO (the Panasonic console) CD images , noticed this game had some copyright issues (at least from the seeder POV) and accessed the home page of the remake project yet without being able to download the original game (not that I care much to have it, but it's said to be a great game indeed).

I suppose Star Control II made its way onto other plateforms, like the Mega-CD...

By the way, there is a Mad-Matt here on EAB, so if you're becoming mad, just make sure to use another nick (like Mad-Barton) .
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/
Old 08 August 2009, 20:28   #5
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
I was talking about the 3DO CD image of that game, but as I said, it's of no great importance.
Old 09 August 2009, 19:48   #6
mattbarton.exe

The movie intro thing is from the 3DO version, which I captured with my TV capture card. The other stuff is from the DOS versions (via Dosbox).

I haven't tried the FOSS one yet, though by all accounts it is the one to play if you don't care for the 3DO version.
Old 09 August 2009, 20:33   #7
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
The movie intro thing is from the 3DO version, which I captured with my TV capture card. The other stuff is from the DOS versions (via Dosbox).

I haven't tried the FOSS one yet, though by all accounts it is the one to play if you don't care for the 3DO version.
It does use the best bits from each version. So I would pick the FOSS version over them all.
Old 09 August 2009, 20:59   #8
mattbarton.exe

Someone was saying on another forum that it had a slideshow instead of the intro movies. I'm going to have to stop lollygagging around and check it out for myself. :P
Old 09 August 2009, 22:17   #9
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
Someone was saying on another forum that it had a slideshow instead of the intro movies. I'm going to have to stop lollygagging around and check it out for myself. :P
Hmm, not sure. What you do is download the basic version and then you can choose to download the updated/remade stuff. Its been a while since I played it though.
Old 10 August 2009, 21:03   #10
mattbarton.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
Hehe. In school they called me "Mattamucil" and "fartin' Barton" among other things. At least those are somewhat creative.