English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 January 2007, 18:59   #21
ppill
CON: artist

ZShell (which is the shell I'm using with Hombre) has a feature that enables you to assign a command to any Fxx key. I'll certainly try to make a use of that. Have you still got your compliations stored somewhere? I'd like to have a look
Old 24 January 2007, 19:04   #22
ppill

There's a little nifty program called keymap-handler(or similar) that you can use to configure individual key codes to preform certain tasks simply by using a configuration file so there's no need to hack any existing keymaps. And yes it works with 1.3 kickstart
Old 24 January 2007, 21:03   #23
cane

My floppy has error but I managed to copy program for making keymaps - Setkey and keymap I used - modified german keymap. It's in the Zone if you want to take a look.
Old 24 January 2007, 21:25   #24
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

I just want to say that I think this is an extremely cool project and even though I already bought Cloanto Amiga Explorer, I wish I still had my Amiga 500 so I could be among the first people to test it.

Well done.
Old 25 January 2007, 14:28   #25
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill
@Paul Thanks!

@Blade002
The font is called thing and you can find it waiting for you in 'Da Zone'

With Hombre I use a proggie called NewTopaz and it can only load fonts in RAW format so if you want to use it under 1.3 kick it has to converted with PowerFonts8 for example. You'll find them both on the lsd-legaltools-0013 disk.
Cheers mate!!... i appreciate the info
Old 25 January 2007, 23:34   #26
ppill

@cane
Thanks, definetly worth having a look.
Old 26 January 2007, 11:29   #27
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
I wonder what will happen in the future though. Newer computers won't have serial or parallel ports - just USB.
Not a problem. I've used a couple of USB -> RS-232 converters to create a serial port on the PC and they've worked pretty well.
Old 28 January 2007, 12:01   #28
ppill

Just a quick update:
Due to the approaching exam session, BA diploma etc. the work on Hombre has slowed down somewhat. The first public version will be released by the end of this week(Friday/Saturday).

On the plus side:
I've finally decided on the software that will be included in the package. (So many nice proggies but a floppy is not made out of rubber and I wanted to avoid crunching executable files for speed's sake)

Managed to get fat95 working without it crashing when copying files (the stack size in the mountlist was too low). So now we can all enjoy LONG NAMES on FAT formatted floppies

Figured out a way to benchmark the various ways of transferring ADFs/files. (You gotta love benchmarks )

The project will have a web page with all the details/docs and files. (the link will be posted when Hombre is released)

I'm looking for people who want to test the package before its public release. So if you got:
- an a500 with kick 1.3, 0,5/1mb memory, an extra drive would come in handy
- experience using shell under 1.3 version of the OS (if you know what things like 'type >>devs:mountlist ram:fat95mountlist', 'copy :libs/xpk#? ram:libs/' mean you won't feel lost )
- extensive knowledge of the OS is welcomed (using memory monitors, debuggers, stack snoopers etc. and generally feeling comfortable with the various inner workings of the AmigaOS)
- A PC with serial and parallel ports capable of running the latest version of WinUAE with ClassicWB installed
- null-modem cable
- a cable to use with paradise(check out aminet for details)
- some time to spare

PM me after the weekned and I'll get back to you with a link to the adf file plus some docs.

Because English is not my native language I will need some help with editing the docs so any help appreciated. (OK, I've got a couple certificates that apparently prove that I'm a proficient speaker of the language and make a living by teaching it to completely bewildered and confused students in private language schools , but still...)

Stay tuned...
Old 29 January 2007, 10:34   #29
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I can't help with the testing but I honestly didn't realise you weren't English until I read that lot!
Old 29 January 2007, 13:01   #30
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

On your webpage I suggest you include information about the various tools you can use under WindowsXP to "give back" parallel port access to programs written for DOS/Win9x.

E.G.

http://www.paraport.net/
http://www.logix4u.net/inpout32.htm

The special 8-wire parallel port cables for PC2Amiga were blisteringly fast if you had a fast enough CPU at each end.
Old 29 January 2007, 13:24   #31
ppill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
On your webpage I suggest you include information about the various tools you can use under WindowsXP to "give back" parallel port access to programs written for DOS/Win9x.

E.G.

http://www.paraport.net/
http://www.logix4u.net/inpout32.htm

The special 8-wire parallel port cables for PC2Amiga were blisteringly fast if you had a fast enough CPU at each end.
I'm using UserPort for that and it'll be included in the archive as well as a freeDos boot floppy with programs that require DOS to run (twinexpress, tequila) and ntfs4dos that enables you to access ntfs formatted drives from DOS (as long as they're IDE or SATA in IDE mode).

I'm starting on the docs right now so the whole archive(for beta-testers) should be ready sometime this evening/night

Paradise is also FAAAST. I mean an ADF file from a PC straight onto a floppy in 1m 32s on a 7mhz machine?!?!!? Now that's one fine piece of coding
Old 29 January 2007, 13:28   #32
ppill

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
I can't help with the testing but I honestly didn't realise you weren't English until I read that lot!
Thanks
Yep, a true Slav. Wait to you hear me talk
Old 29 January 2007, 13:40   #33
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Paradise is also FAAAST. I mean an ADF file from a PC straight onto a floppy in 1m 32s on a 7mhz machine?!?!!? Now that's one fine piece of coding
I think that speed is limited by the floppy disk as with an 8-wire parallel cable and PC2Am it takes about 20-30 seconds to transfer an 880k ADF to a RAM disk on my A500+
Old 29 January 2007, 13:44   #34
ppill

Quote:
I think that speed is limited by the floppy disk as with an 8-wire parallel cable and PC2Am it takes about 20-30 seconds to transfer an 880k ADF to a RAM disk on my A500+
Exactly, you get pretty much the same results with Paradise.

I love to look at the program's output being fed thru an AUX: to a software terminal on WinXP while its transfering data. Both ports in use and still no lock ups, NICE
Old 31 January 2007, 20:02   #35
ppill

Just a final update before the first public release.

I've managed to add support for zipped ADFs.

If the archived image fits onto a 720kb floppy and you've got 1mb of memory installed you'll be able to unpack it straight to the disk.

A combination of two programs makes this possible. funzip and flat-handler. The first is a very simple program that takes a single file packed with zip and unzips it to stdout. All you have to do then is redirect it to a device that gives you RAW access to the floppy drive(no file systems just the 80 tracks). Flat does exactly that. This what you type in a shell:

funzip ram:Lotus3_disk1.zip >flat:df0

This is *VERY* memory efficient. With Zshell, fat95 filesystem, messydisk.device, flat-handler and funzip(resident) in memory you can transfer the contents of a 720kb file without problems.

I'm REALLY happy with this. Works a treat.
Old 31 January 2007, 20:58   #36
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Is that PKZip or GZip?

Most of my Amiga disks are ADZ (ADF Gzipped).
Old 31 January 2007, 21:56   #37
ppill

Quote:
Is that PKZip or GZip?

Most of my Amiga disks are ADZ (ADF Gzipped).
Not sure. It works with the adfs downloaded from planetemu.net and the ones created via 'send to zipped folder' in WinXP.
funzip's man file says that it also works with gzipped files. Maybe the two formats are compatible?
I'll test this later. Thanks for pointing that out
Old 01 February 2007, 00:02   #38
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
It works with the adfs downloaded from planetemu.net and the ones created via 'send to zipped folder' in WinXP.
Both PKZip.

Quote:
funzip's man file says that it also works with gzipped files. Maybe the two formats are compatible?
The two formats are not compatible, but if funzip says it does them then cool.
Old 01 February 2007, 12:49   #39
ppill

It works with an adf image generated by TransADF with the 'gzip level=9' parameter. So I guess this means that gzip files are supported
Old 01 February 2007, 15:44   #40
EmuChicken

ADZ's are just zipped ADF files... rename the ADZ to .zip and you can usually extract the adf like you would a normal zip file.

Great project you're working on here! What the community needed for them low-powered Amigas