English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 March 2024, 17:37   #1
Michael Doma

Post WinUAE v5.2.0: "Couln't open ´amiga.lib´"

Dear Toni,

every now and then I get the abovementioned error after pressing SHIFT+F12 to open the debugger. It seems to only happen once after starting emulation. The message can be ignored by clicking anywhere on the emulation screen and debugger opens fine after that.
It happens on completely different configurations (e.g. WB30 installation with RTG as well as naked Phantasie III in-game, etc.) and I never had it with older versions, although I always have debugged a LOT.

Regards,

Michael
Old 03 March 2024, 19:13   #2
midimax

https://aminet.net/package/dev/misc/NDK3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by winuaechangelog.txt
...LVO symbol support:
if amiga.lib (from Amiga NDK) is in plugins/debugger, it is scanned for LVO symbols.
if plugins/debugger/fd contains one or more *.fd files, they are parsed and added to LVO symbol list. ...
Old 05 March 2024, 15:03   #3
Michael Doma

Quote:
Originally Posted by midimax View Post
Thanks, midimax. I will add that.
Are there any fd files you would recommend as a minimum for general debugging? Oh and do I always have to take care of fd file versions myself or does the debugger choose correct fd files matching the currently running version of a module or os?

Thanks again!
Old 05 March 2024, 15:39   #4
thomas

Amiga libs are backwards compatible. The latest fd files know everything about earlier versions of the libs.
Old 09 March 2024, 19:51   #5
Michael Doma

Quote:
This has been introduced in beta 1 of v4.0! I never got the error message before using v5.2, though. (And it shouldn't appear either way.)

@Toni, please.
Old 09 March 2024, 20:19   #6
midimax

Without that "error" message you would not even know about that Feature despite your Lot of debugger usages.
For
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Doma View Post
People don't read changelogs...!
Regards,
Michael
that hint may come in handy.
Old 10 March 2024, 10:12   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Ignore the message if you don't need it (It is good idea when debugging something with uaedbg). As I said in other thread, debugger is what it is. It can change any time and can have weird features. Nothing is "defined" there.
Old 10 March 2024, 18:05   #8
Michael Doma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Ignore the message if you don't need it (It is good idea when debugging something with uaedbg). As I said in other thread, debugger is what it is. It can change any time and can have weird features. Nothing is "defined" there.
After a bit more of testing I see that the black message window after pressing SHIFT+F12 disappears automatically in default configurations, but it doesn't disappear when booting my own configs.
Any chance you would fix this if I find the problematic config setting?

Oh and there's a wrong description inside the "?" help text:
Code:
s "<string>"/<values> [<addr>] [<length>]
                        Search for string/bytes.
Instead it should read:
Code:
s "<string>"/<values> [<start-addr>] [<end-addr>]
                        Search for string/bytes.
_

Quote:
Without that "error" message you would not even know about that Feature despite your Lot of debugger usages.
I don't debug at that level. If I did, I would have looked for symbols either way. And after adding a lot of (official) fd files, I now see what I believe to be wrong/misleading symbol names in the disassembly...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Doma
People don't read changelogs...!
that hint may come in handy.
Let me rephrase:
People don't expect extensive debugger feature decriptions in change log files (e.g. see after line #2937 at https://github.com/tonioni/WinUAE/bl...echangelog.txt ).
These should be moved/copied into the official WinUAE help or in a debugger.txt file
Old 11 March 2024, 12:58   #9
midimax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Doma View Post
Let me rephrase:
People don't expect extensive debugger feature decriptions in change log files (e.g. see after line #2937 at https://github.com/tonioni/WinUAE/bl...echangelog.txt ).
These should be moved/copied into the official WinUAE help or in a debugger.txt file
In my experience People (as in Enduser), especially on Windows, do not read Textfiles and only a minority reads (dedicated) manuals and or the Help. People usually interested in debugging (as in Developer and or so called Hacker ) on the other hand tend to have kind a natural interest in changelogs.

No one (as far as a short search had no results) even ever complained about the WinUAE config help button redirecting to a "Sorry..." (404) page since ages, at least for me with Firefox, that alone should tell enough . But maybe as fast as development is ongoing that would be almost always out of date anyway.