English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 December 2016, 04:29   #1
Signman

8gb compact flash install

So, following videos and trying to read all the info here on formatting cf 8gb card for A1200, I may have problem.

I used WinUae to do all the dirty work and faithfully tried to follow tutorials.
Used HD tools to partition, have 3.9 OS installed in WinUae and added PFSC handler to correct directory. When I go to add file system PFS, is there, so when I go to change filesystem not there.

So, hell with it I continue and then follow FitzSteve's advice (good man) and copy over all to card. Install in my real 1200, everything boots up with minor problem (maybe).

All drives are present from DH0 to DH2 in correct sizes. One extra grayed out with this ..GDH1!2128 1/4! not accessible. Could this be a legacy from WinUae? I seem to have the correct amount of space available and everything works for me but will this change when I get close to the 4gb limit?

I can live with this as it is unless something will go bad down the line or I am in for some surprises.
Old 05 December 2016, 09:13   #2
thomas

Please run this and attach the report here: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.../hddreport.lha
Old 05 December 2016, 23:49   #3
Signman

ran the program and it generated a report.
Thomas, I went to your website and used your contact link to send to you.
I have no way of linking from here to post on this board, and I don't think it would be good to post the whole report in a thread here due to size.

It is a little too technical for me but some mistakes are apparent. For one I set the first partition as 512k bytes but neglected to do the rest that way. Wondering if that is correctable without wiping main boot partition.

Please let me know what you think.
Thank You
Old 06 December 2016, 08:45   #4
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
I have no way of linking from here to post on this board, and I don't think it would be good to post the whole report in a thread here due to size.
Next time click on "Go Advanced" and then "Manage Attachments", then you can upload files to the forum's database. No need to get or waste your own web space.

Quote:
It is a little too technical for me but some mistakes are apparent. For one I set the first partition as 512k bytes but neglected to do the rest that way. Wondering if that is correctable without wiping main boot partition.
With FFS it might increase performance to have 1024 byte blocks.

Block size cannot be changed without wiping the changed partition.

Quote:
Please let me know what you think.
Regarding GDH1, it overlaps with DH2. That's dangerous, you should not touch it. Writing to GDH1 might destroy DH2.

Try to delete it in HDToolbox. You might be able to select it by using the cursor left/right keys.

I've heard that the OS 3.5+ version of HDToolbox can create overlapping partitions by accident, but I never managed to reproduce it myself. Maybe you still know how you did it?

Regarding PFS, you didn't enter the correct identifier. PFS should be 0x50465303 a.k.a. PFS3. You added it with 0x444f5303 a.k.a. DOS3 which is used for FFS. Fortunately FFS has a higher version number than PFS so your wrong entry wasn't used.

Note that the file system of a partition cannot be changed without wiping it, too.

Last edited by thomas; 06 December 2016 at 08:53.
Old 06 December 2016, 15:27   #5
Signman

I forgot about this type of forum setup and attachments. That said it won't let me attach saying it is an invalid type.

Anyway, Thomas read it and I appreciate the help. Will implement this info tonight. It's a fresh install so I am not worrying about destroying data.