English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 June 2015, 01:23   #1
_tweak

KS 3.1 pin 31 leg broke off - what now?

So, i bought a bunch of stuff for my A500. A Gotek, a 512kb expansion board - a KS31 chip - all from the same store - great service, came quick; fun times.

However the KS31 chip turned out I had to solder it due to my revision of my board; okay no probs, im no solder noob. The instructions told me to solder the socket 21 to 31; I kinda figured they meant pin 21 to 31, and then pin 1 plugged into pin 31. All was good and fine.

However, when i bend up the pin 31 to a 90 degree angle; it broke. Like, brittle metal-broke. Just snapped right off.

Look ma, only 39 hands

I tried fixing it with a bit of solder, but it appears that it is unstable; its simply not really enough.

So, besides me ofcourse contacting the seller, I thought; okay - what now ?

What can I do with this Kickstarter-ROM? Can i make a backup of it, into another chip? If yes, will I be violating anything? Im kind of an arduino-fan, I like creating, im not feared of breaking; any guides anywhere I can follow? I am guessing the serial-number is the unique bit of this ROM ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5210.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	44401  
Old 07 June 2015, 06:52   #2
Jope
-

Not much to do now, a ceramic package is difficult to grind into to expose more of the broken leg. I doubt the seller will give you any kind of warranty.

Next time you might consider making a socket sandwich and do the modifications to the sockets instead of bending the EPROM legs.

If you manage to solder a wire to the broken leg for it to still read in your EPROM reader, you can copy it to a 27c400 EPROM. Use a hairdryer to heat the sticker's glue and transfer it to your new EPROM -> the perfect crime?

No doubt you will be in violation of everything and will singlehandedly cause the death of the Amiga, but .. wait .. it's already dead. :-)
Old 07 June 2015, 07:01   #3
ptyerman

As Jope said, grinding it can be difficult but not impossible. If you have a Dremel or similar tool you can try grinding down where the pin is to expose more metal, or use a very small drill bit to drill where the pin is and insert a very small pin as a new leg to solder to. Never done it myself but have seen it done and it worked.
Old 07 June 2015, 09:28   #4
_tweak

Come to think of it, the legality of things depends a lot on the country you're in, less about the sells country. For instance, in Denmark - where I am from - it is very legal to copy physical products, that you have bought. As in, if you buy a Warhammer figurine (yes, im a multi-nerd) you have the right, to copy (but not sell) it, for you own personal stock. And we even have some laws that allows you to do software backups, like CDs for your car. So Im guessing legally, im in the clear zone - in Denmark.

Sandwich thing sounds good. But to be honest, I was a bit unhappy with the quality of the ROM, especially when -the guide itself- tells people to bend the actual pin and it can't even handle a bend.

im loving this :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Use a hairdryer to heat the sticker's glue and transfer it to your new EPROM -> the perfect crime?

buuuut okay, it might be just too much work to transfer the data for the tiny 14-16euros price a KS costs. Oh well, good thing I bought two !
Old 07 June 2015, 10:11   #5
_tweak

Can any of you recommend a good "sandwicher" socket ? The cheap ones from china have very poor pins.
Old 07 June 2015, 10:55   #6
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Never done it myself but have seen it done and it worked.
The one time I had to rescue a chip with a broken pin, I plugged the chip into a breadboard to support it, and drilled very gradually into it using a pillar drill. Obviously you have to be very careful to drill away only the ceramic and not the metal - but it gave me enough access to metal to solder a wire to the remnants of the pin.
Old 07 June 2015, 11:09   #7
Jope
-

I make then out of whatever I have at hand. Machined pin sockets tend to make thicker stacks than the cheap ones.
Old 07 June 2015, 11:15   #8
Vot

KS 3.1 pin 31 leg broke off - what now?

My advice is try sanding the remnants of the pin with 800 grit wet and dry (just to get a bit of clean metal), clean it off with isopropyl alcohol then apply flux from a flux pen then heat the pin then add a small amount of solder.

I busted a pin on a few ceramic ones and got the solder to stick with this method. Use a bit of fine gauge wire wrap wire to solder on.

Here is one where I did exactly that. Its a bit messy actually and has far too much solder. The wire is actually wrapped around the edge of the ic

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433669108.261624.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	44402

Last edited by Vot; 07 June 2015 at 17:14.
Old 07 June 2015, 11:36   #9
_tweak

Great ! I will !

I love it - not only do I get to break stuff - I also get a project in repairing them !

Its a win win !