English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 December 2009, 13:25   #1
source
Zone Friend

a386 Bridgeboard

I am currently trying to get mu A2000 with a 386 bridgeboard working again. I can get it to boot from floppy, but I can't seem to get it to recognize dh2 as my c:drive. I am trying to set up the entire partition as c: Using Janustools dosserv from Aminet, but I can't seem to get it to work. I have done the steps listed in the docs. I have changed the identifier in HD toolbox. Do I need to install a new filesystem?
Old 31 December 2009, 22:53   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi source,

Have a look at the Bridgeboard Utilities at the bottom of this page:
http://www.titan.co.nz/amigaak/AA060167.htm

There is the Janus 2.1 software, AMICDex (a program will let you use a CD-Rom drive that is connected to your Amiga on your Bridgeboard) and Janus Tools, which includes a utility to let you use an Amiga hard drive partition as a PC hard drive. This partition utility will run with any Bridgeboard, as long as you have Janus v2.1 installed.
Old 31 December 2009, 23:21   #3
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
ive not changed dos identifier (its ffs default i guess) and still my a2286 can detect it. do not play with bios settings as its worthless (it will always say both drives are NONE) , it will be detected later with fdisk. just be sure that partition is mounted/automounted

Last edited by Chain; 31 December 2009 at 23:33.
Old 31 December 2009, 23:28   #4
source
Zone Friend

I have installed Janus 2.1. I have installed Janus tools. I am running januspatch in startup. I have copied over DosServ. My problem is getting with hdtoolbox. I have the harddrive partitioned into 3 partitions. DH0: 175 meg - Workbench, DH1: 652 meg Applications, and DH2. 350 Meg which will be for the DOS partition. I go into HDToolBox and select the DH2 partition, Select change Go to custom File system. and enter the hex Identifier as 0x4d534800. And save the drive info. I used cygnused and changed the aboot.ctrl to read DH2: with out hitting a line return and save it. However, when I reboot the computer, and the bridgeboard initializes, I get please insert volume DH2 in any drive retry or cancel. I have tried both automounting the drive as well as not auto mounting I does not seem to matter. Do I need to download a specific File system and install it through HDtoolbox. If so which one. I have messdos file system installed already. I know it can be done, I just can't for the life of me get it to work. Thanks for your help If you have any more info it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01 January 2010, 00:48   #5
source
Zone Friend

If I just format the disk using FFS then go and use FDisk, it recognized there is a c drive, but in only has 15 megs.
Old 01 January 2010, 00:53   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi source,

As long as you have Janus Tools, I'm not sure that you have to use HDToolbox to create a partition for the PC volume.

Have you tried deleting your DH2: partition in HDToolbox and creating it instead using Janus Tools? AFAIK, this is all that's required in order for FDisk to recognize it.
Old 01 January 2010, 01:18   #7
source
Zone Friend

you need to use HDtoolbox to designate the partition to be DH2: In the readme file, step 2 it says to used HDTool box to install the MSDOS partition. Engter 0x4d534800 as DOStype I assume it is the identifier for HDToolbox in AmigaOS3.5
Old 01 January 2010, 01:30   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Yes, it seems you are correct.

The README file:
-------
DOSServ
-------
Dosserv is a replacement to Commodore's DOSServ included in the Janus software package version 2.1. It will give you the possibility to use a physical harddiscpartition directly.
if you want to use a physical harddiscpartition you have to do the following things:

1. copy the new DOSServ over the old one. Make sure you have a copy of the old DOSServ because you never know !
2. use HDTOOLBOX to install the MSDOS partition. Enter 0x4d534800 as DOSType. If you don't know how to do this please read about it in the 2.x HDToolbox system documentation.
3. edit ABOOT.ctrl, insert the name of the partition and don't complete the line with a linefeed !
4. REBOOT the system
5. now you can use the partion as drive c on the pcside after you have used fdisk and format. Please refer to the installation information of your pc operating system if you don't know how to do that.

It all seems quite straightforward. Are you doing all this exactly as described?

Are you running at least Kickstart 2.04?

Edit: Of course, you must be running at least Kickstart 3.x to be using OS 3.5

Last edited by prowler; 01 January 2010 at 01:39.
Old 01 January 2010, 03:45   #9
source
Zone Friend

I wonder if it is problem with hdtoolbox 3.5? Could any of you look to see if you have installed any other file systems beyond FFS on your machines that are running Janus tools. I am wondering if I should consider attempting it from a strait 3.1 install.
Old 02 January 2010, 01:18   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi source,

I found this in an archived Amiga forum:
The JanusTools package from Aminet contains a modified DOSServ program that allows users of a C= Bridgeboard to use a partition on the amiga side for booting the PC from it. The DOSType mentioned in the docs is "MSH", 0x4d534800, if I remember correct it doesn't work with another value. At least the string "MSH" can be found hardcoded in the program.
Ref: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-am...msg003893.html

386 BridgeBoards are problematic. Have a look at this thread:
A2386SX bridgeboard problems.
Old 02 January 2010, 04:44   #11
source
Zone Friend

I may have solved the problem. I installed crossdos as a custom file system and gave it the hexnumber, and when I fdisked the bridgeboard, it found the entire partition. I have switched around another SCSI drive as to give me more BB HD space. I will attempt the same trick and see how it goes. Does anyone have Dos 2000 around. It is reported to be free from IBM, but I can't seem to find a working copy.
Thanks for all the help.
Old 02 January 2010, 10:34   #12
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
if you enter 0x4d534800 as identifier it will NOT be mounted, and you WILL ALWAYS be prompted to insert that volume and it will NEVER work.
Ive played with it two days, without any luck. formatting that partition to FFS helps as ive wrote above

btw crossdoss do that trick, but why it isnt mentioned in that readme?

edit: http://www.drdos.net/download.htm
Old 02 January 2010, 21:19   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

IBM PC-DOS 2000

ftp://ftp.eesnet.ru/dos/pcdos2k.exe 17/11/2000 (7.9MB)

pcdos2k.exe is a self-extracting zip archive which contains the following files:
loaddskf.exe
pcdos_1.dsk
pcdos_2.dsk
pcdos_3.dsk
pcdos_4.dsk
pcdos_5.dsk
pcdos_6.dsk

Last edited by prowler; 02 January 2010 at 21:32.
Old 08 May 2020, 15:11   #14
hawkeye
Amiga!!!!!

I followed the instructions but couldn't get it working. But thanks to Simon I found the FileSystem had to be MSH/00 and it's working fine now.

Check here with photos: https://retro.ramonddevrede.nl/janus...pe-0x4d534800/

Cheers