English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 19 June 2009, 12:16   #1
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Berlin/Joymoney
Posts: 6,463
"unknown" disk image extensions

I don't really think it's worth the hassle. This is stuff that should be handled by external Frontends IMHO. Most of the A500 games (should) run with one of the available Quickstart settings without any problems.

What I would like to see is support for disk images without .adf extension though. When doing WHDLoad slaves I often check timings etc. using UAE in A500 mode, problem is, WHDLoad needs the images named disk.1, disk.2, disk.x etc. That means I have to store the images 2 times which is a bit annoying.
StingRay is online now  
Old 19 June 2009, 13:16   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hämeenlinna/Finland
Age: 45
Posts: 23,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
What I would like to see is support for disk images without .adf extension though. When doing WHDLoad slaves I often check timings etc. using UAE in A500 mode, problem is, WHDLoad needs the images named disk.1, disk.2, disk.x etc. That means I have to store the images 2 times which is a bit annoying.
Can be done (but I think this is more like whdload problem by not allowing .adf)

btw, do not hijack threads.
Toni Wilen is offline  
Old 19 June 2009, 13:59   #3
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Berlin/Joymoney
Posts: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Can be done (but I think this is more like whdload problem by not allowing .adf)
I think it's a limitation of UAE rather than WHDLoad.

Quote:
btw, do not hijack threads.
Wasn't meant as thread hijacking, I just thought it would fit here and didn't want to open separate thread for this minor problem.
StingRay is online now  
Old 19 June 2009, 14:27   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hämeenlinna/Finland
Age: 45
Posts: 23,811
Moved because this really has nothing to do with original thread

Problem is detecting between disk images and harddrive images without checking contents or file size. Previously detection was only possible by checking first few bytes of file and extensions.

Now this limitation is gone (but I still think it is not UAE limitation because it should not need to care about non-Windows extensions )
Toni Wilen is offline  
Old 19 June 2009, 14:36   #5
Retro1234
Banned

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 4,643
If you show all files you can select Disk.1
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 19 June 2009, 14:40   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Berlin/Joymoney
Posts: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Moved because this really has nothing to do with original thread
I knew you would do that. ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Now this limitation is gone (but I still think it is not UAE limitation because it should not need to care about non-Windows extensions )
I see your point and I agree, partially. Limitation is maybe not the right wording as indeed UAE doesn't have to care about non-standard extensions. However, it would be a convenient feature to have and I for one would really appreciate it!
StingRay is online now  
Old 19 June 2009, 14:43   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Berlin/Joymoney
Posts: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
If you show all files you can select Disk.1
I always use drag'n'drop to "insert" images and UAE rejects files without .adf extension then.
StingRay is online now  
Old 19 June 2009, 15:24   #8
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 42
Posts: 24,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
If you show all files you can select Disk.1
But if you double click on a '.1' file, even if it is associated with WinUAE, it won't start (i.e. mount the image to DF0).

Just an idea : Maybe a 'Default to disk image' checkbox in Misc would simply make it possible to use any file extension as a disk
TCD is offline  
Old 19 June 2009, 15:36   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hämeenlinna/Finland
Age: 45
Posts: 23,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
But if you double click on a '.1' file, even if it is associated with WinUAE, it won't start (i.e. mount the image to DF0).
It won't start because it detects it as a hardfiles and hardfiles are not supported via command line (quite pointless because generally they need specific configuration)

Quote:
Just an idea : Maybe a 'Default to disk image' checkbox in Misc would simply make it possible to use any file extension as a disk
Crappy idea.
Toni Wilen is offline  
Old 19 June 2009, 15:49   #10
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 42
Posts: 24,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It won't start because it detects it as a hardfiles and hardfiles are not supported via command line (quite pointless because generally they need specific configuration)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Just an idea : Maybe a 'Default to disk image' checkbox in Misc would simply make it possible to use any file extension as a disk
Sorry, I should have explained it better. If you associate an unknown extension (like '.1') and have the checkbox enabled it would not treat the file as a hardfile, but mount it as a disk image. Might still be a crappy idea, but I thought I try to make it clear
TCD is offline  
Old 19 June 2009, 15:52   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hämeenlinna/Finland
Age: 45
Posts: 23,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Sorry, I should have explained it better. If you associate an unknown extension (like '.1') and have the checkbox enabled it would not treat the file as a hardfile, but mount it as a disk image. Might still be a crappy idea, but I thought I try to make it clear
It still would not have helped because it wasn't detected as "unknown"

Proper detection will be implemented in next beta series (few weeks or something..)
Toni Wilen is offline  
Old 19 June 2009, 15:55   #12
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 42
Posts: 24,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It still would not have helped because it wasn't detected as "unknown"

Proper detection will be implemented in next beta series (few weeks or something..)
Whatever Looking forward to see it 'in action' then.
TCD is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CD32 Image-Name-Bug: "...(bla)[!].zip" -> "...(bla)[" / "...[test].zip" -> "...[tes" cfTrio support.WinUAE 8 18 December 2012 16:31
Auto-position the "Select a floppy disk image file..." menu Maren request.UAE Wishlist 17 30 January 2010 15:44
Unknown "Fraxion" module Old Fool request.Modules 2 14 September 2009 13:18
Unknown "Skid Row" module Old Fool request.Modules 3 11 September 2009 14:22
"Read only" and "Disk swapper" Ulric support.WinUAE 4 11 July 2004 14:17

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.08265 seconds with 15 queries