English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 January 2020, 09:31   #21
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Or try plugging the cable the other way round. Cables sometimes be crazy like that.

EDIT:
To make myself clearer. The setup now probably looks like this: IDE > cable > adapter. With adapter pointing towards the floppy.
Try it like this adapter < cable < IDE. With adapter pointing towards PCMCIA side.

Last edited by Lord Aga; 21 January 2020 at 09:37.
Old 21 January 2020, 10:26   #22
Gardhul

Isn't 4GB the limit for a PCMCIA flash card?
Old 21 January 2020, 10:52   #23
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Or try plugging the cable the other way round. Cables sometimes be crazy like that.

EDIT:
To make myself clearer. The setup now probably looks like this: IDE > cable > adapter. With adapter pointing towards the floppy.
Try it like this adapter < cable < IDE. With adapter pointing towards PCMCIA side.
The technical requirement is that pin 1 of the IDE connector goes to pin 1 of the IDE to CF adapter, ecetera. Whatever orientation you choose doesn't matter, as long as you meet those technical requirements.
Old 21 January 2020, 11:12   #24
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Saw it with my own eyes man After hours of wondering why the Amiga won't recognize the damn CF, switching it from right orientation to left did the trick.

Could be the position of the red wire and pin one. Damned if I know. But it is possible.
Old 21 January 2020, 11:29   #25
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardhul View Post
Isn't 4GB the limit for a PCMCIA flash card?
No it's using FAT32 so the limit is 128gb iirc
Old 21 January 2020, 12:03   #26
Glen M

Few things to check

In winuae you must remember to change chipset extra to A1200 and you must set the device for the hdd as commodore ide.

The boot partition must be within the first 4gb of the drive, I normally set it to about 500mb or 1gb maximum

When you create DH0 you must remember to check make bootable (you'd be surprised how many times this catch me out!)

The patch you are referring to is scsi.device. Get a copy of loadmodule and copy it to C: then get a copy of scsi.device.43.45 and copy it to DEVS: then add the following line at the top of your startup c:loadmodule devs:scsi.device.43.45 to edit the startup open shell (system:shell) then type ed s:startup-sequence

Take a look at my CD32 x-bench setup video. It goes through everything you need in the first 15/20 minutes or so, just ignore the xbench specific stuff. There's a handy dropbox link in the video description that contains everything you need.

I'd also recommend using the PFS3AIO file system which would let you create say a 512mb partition for workbench (boot partition) then the rest 7.5gb for your files etc. BTW I do say in the x-bench video that there is a limit of 4gb partitions, thats bollox haha so if you want to wait to the weekend I was intending on doing another quick video focusing on the basics of setting up a large drive under winuae using workbench 3.1.

link to video - [ Show youtube player ]

link to dropbox folder - https://www.dropbox.com/s/dup6b8y22k...older.zip?dl=0

Last edited by Glen M; 21 January 2020 at 12:30.
Old 21 January 2020, 12:24   #27
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Saw it with my own eyes man After hours of wondering why the Amiga won't recognize the damn CF, switching it from right orientation to left did the trick.

Could be the position of the red wire and pin one. Damned if I know. But it is possible.
I assume you mean you didn't just flip the orientation of the cable/adapter, but actually rotated the IDE ribbon cable by 180 degrees. So that probably means you corrected the pin 1 to pin 1 connection requirement.

Pin 1 on the IDE connector is marked with '1' on the silk screen. This is on the side of the IDE connector nearest the front, nearest the PCMCIA slot.
Old 21 January 2020, 12:32   #28
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

I don't know if we have the same image in our heads, but that sounds right, yeah
Basically, the cable pointing to the right with the red wire to the bottom - no go.
The cable pointing to the left, also red wire at the bottom - go.
Old 21 January 2020, 15:11   #29
gbasource

Just ordered a new card reader plus a sandisk extreme III 4gb compact flash card which is said to work on the compatibility list in the forums on here. Ill give it a go when it arrives and let you know how it goes. The card I used before was a second hand cheapo one and I later noticed it wasnt on the compatibility list. This time round, ive brought a brand spanking new cf card and made sure its one thats on the compatibility list. Unfortunately I didnt notice the compatibility list on here until recently.
Old 23 January 2020, 18:35   #30
gbasource

My new cf card reader and sandisk extreme III 4gb cf card came today. It still would not detect it or show up even when I bought up the boot menu by holding the 2 mouse buttons. Everything installed ok and opened ok on winuae during the setup. Ive checked the new compact flash adapter that I had come and I checked the pins. I noticed the pins on the adapter that the ide cable connects to has 43 pins. Isnt it supposed to have 44 and not 43? The way im connecting the ide cable to the amiga is with the red line on the ide cable at the bottom. The writing thats written on the ide cable is underneath.
Old 04 February 2020, 15:58   #31
gbasource

I got a pcmcia adaptor recently to have another go at this. It didnt come with the floppy disk to get the compact flash card to be detected and show up. Ive read that you can set it up manually but the only tutorials I see are ones that suggest I have an hard drive installation of workbench already. Whenever I try to create a workbench floppy containing the fat95, compactflash.device and cf0 files, it will never fit onto a disk. Could you talk me through how to set up my compact flash in the pcmcia so that everytime i boot to workbench on my amiga 1200 it is detecting it? Surely its possible in winuae but my compact flash doesnt show up as cf0 on there either.
Old 04 February 2020, 21:12   #32
solarmon

If you can get an ADF to boot then you can use my floppy image to test your CF adapter and card.

https://drive.google.com/a/one-n.co....w?usp=drivesdk

I also have a summary guide on how to get CFD and FAT95 installed that you might find useful;

https://drive.google.com/a/one-n.co....w?usp=drivesdk

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Old 04 February 2020, 22:21   #33
Jope
-

So to continue from the iffparse.library thread.

- where is your compact flash card now currently plugged in?
- where is your Amiga booting from?
- what do you want to accomplish?