English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 October 2019, 07:05   #1
spawnerbr

CD32 with new Power Supply

Hi all. I'm using a new Power Supply on my CD32 that don't have PSU, So I bought a generic PSU that has 5v and 12v with 2A on both. My CD32 is a NTSC and on the original CD32 PSU I know that the 5v has 2.2A.
The question is, after trying to use this with the new PSU, the CD32 is very unstable. Sometimes de CD spins, sometimes not, sometimes boot and the games go to the Workbench's Shell.
When I use a big PSU that I have with more than 2A, it works perfectly.
This 2A to 2.2A can really do this problem? Kind regard.
Old 21 October 2019, 10:05   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnerbr View Post
Hi all. I'm using a new Power Supply on my CD32 that don't have PSU, So I bought a generic PSU that has 5v and 12v with 2A on both. My CD32 is a NTSC and on the original CD32 PSU I know that the 5v has 2.2A.
The question is, after trying to use this with the new PSU, the CD32 is very unstable. Sometimes de CD spins, sometimes not, sometimes boot and the games go to the Workbench's Shell.
When I use a big PSU that I have with more than 2A, it works perfectly.
This 2A to 2.2A can really do this problem? Kind regard.

Your not alone. I was using one of the generic PSU's, with higher amperage and it was very unstable after around 20mins. V-Sync was a big issue. I ripped apart 3 or 4 scart cables before I realised it was PSU. As the issue only seemed to happen after time. I didn't see it straight away, due to turning on, testing, turning off.

Switched back to the Original CD32 PSU and it works 100% Perfect. My old AT PSU also works fine with it.
Old 21 October 2019, 14:09   #3
demolition
Unregistered User

Some of those cheap PSUs have a lot of noise which causes all sorts of problems. I used one with my 1541-II which shares the PSU connector with CD32, but when the drive was connected to a C64, there was a lot of noise and interference on the screen. With an original PSU or a quality SMPS there was no problems so I ended up binning the PSU. Life's too short for bad quality stuff and in particular something as important as a PSU which could end up killing your equipment if you're unlucky.
They might seem cheap at first glance but if they're no good, then they effectively become infinitely expensive.
Old 21 October 2019, 15:11   #4
str0m

Does this imply an old weak original PSU could display the same symptons? Mine won't read discs anymore and most of the time doesn't even start spinning. I have changed the laser/motor as per the guide on here and tried both my PSUs and it has been recapped. perhaps it is the power supplies...
Old 21 October 2019, 15:19   #5
demolition
Unregistered User

A bad PSU could cause all sorts of errors. When a CD32 will not read discs I would normally suspect the laser (a bad laser would also stop it from spinning since it will only start the motor if it can 'see' the disc), but if you're 100% sure that the laser should be good now and the CD32 was also recapped, then the next step would be to try a different PSU. If you recap your original PSU it should be almost as good as new.
Old 21 October 2019, 15:35   #6
str0m

It doesn't even start looking for the CD most of the time even if I manually put something between the lid sensor bit. I have a spare atx power supply so might make up a lead to try with that as recapping the power supply is beyond my ability

thanks