English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 14 March 2010, 16:31   #1
jonesy1978

Hello - multiple disks Mac Boot Camp

Hi there

I've just downloaded Amiga Forever which I am running off my Mac - I have Windows 7 on Boot Camp partition.

I downloaded a game called Harlequin (anyone remember it??) which I adored as a kid and it comes with multiple disks. I think I've figured out how to queue the different disks in drives but I still can't seem to get past the Insert disk 1 in drive prompt. None of the keys seem to work (I don't have an external mouse / keyboard) so it just kind of hangs there waiting for me to do something.

Anyone know why? Is it because I have done something wrong with disks or is it because I am doing something wrong elsewhere?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I really can't wait to start getting all nostalgic!

Cheers

Old 14 March 2010, 21:46   #2
asm1

Do you have it set up to run a version of workbench or are you just trying to boot the disks ?

there is a WHDload (hard drive pre installed) version of Harlequin here This would remove the need for disk swapping but you have to have a workbench installed, and of course the WHDLoad app.

Just another way of doing things.
Old 14 March 2010, 21:49   #3
jonesy1978

I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Old 14 March 2010, 21:54   #4
asm1

Cool!

http://www.whdload.de/ is the homepage for the app.

cheers

Andrew
Old 14 March 2010, 22:07   #5
jonesy1978

OK - sorry for being a bit thick here. I have workbench which came with Amiga Forever - 2 versions. When I try to download the WHD link, Windows 7 is having difficulty opening the file. What do I open with? I also have UAE - is this different to Amiga Forever?

Getting there...

thanks

Old 14 March 2010, 22:22   #6
asm1

The Whdload link is an Amiga App - windows won't know what to do with it it is an Lha archive. LHA being an Amiga Compressed file format.

UAE (or WinUAE) is the emulator app that allows your windose to emulate a "real Amiga"

So basically you need to set up Amiga forever /UAE so that it will run Workbench.
Then you need to open the Archived files in your emulated Amiga (there are utilities which allow you to do this). There may be some Applications in Amiga Forever which you can install... I'm not sure, I don't use it.
Old 14 March 2010, 23:38   #7
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Also, you can decompress lha files and open them with winrar. It recognizes the .lha files. Of course, the files would then be copied to the amiga partition/shared directory for Amiga os to access them. But if you need to check the content of a .lha compressed file, you can with winrar.
Old 15 March 2010, 22:07   #8
jonesy1978

OK - thanks for all the help guys. Going to give it one last try and give up! I managed to install WHS on Workbench 3 which is on Amiga Forever. Then, when I drag the file for Harlequin (the main zip file - individuals within don't copy), it makes a + sign as if to say it has been added - before disappearing to God knows where within Workbench - so I still can't access the game and I can't seem to find and archived files bit in the Amiga emulation....

ermmm.....

Am computer literate honestly! It's just been about 15 years since I used Workbench...